old tower of power and salt water

bronkorob

Cadet
ok so ive got my first boat and it came with a good running 140hp tower o' power. its been gone through by a shop and is in excellent shape. from what ive figured out about it is its a 1978 model. so i want to go out and play now. out here in san diego just getting to a lake, paying for lake fees, finding one you can actually touch the water, and all the other fun stuff seems like a pain in the A. ive got oceanside harbor 15 minutes away and is only a few bucks for parking. my question is, how well do these hold up to salt water? i know to flush the motor every time i take it out, keep an eye out for corrosion. am i just asking for trouble? thanks for any advice.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: old tower of power and salt water

Don't drink all your beer on the water.....save some.

Bring it (the boat and the beer remaining) home, put the muffs on it, the engine not the beer, (muffs is how you put tap water into the lower unit water pickup), run it for about the duration of a good Golden Coors, shut the engine off, and a minute later, shut the water off. Hose off the rest of the boat/engine, enjoy another Coors Golden in the process and then take the babe into the house and fix supper for her....the rest is up to you........doesn't get any better than that.

Mark

turbinedoctor

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't know if mine has ever seen fresh water, she is an old salty dog. After every trip I flush the engine on the muffs for about five to ten minutes, then pull the fuel line and let it use all the fuel in the carbs, this helps keep the carbs clean from varnish and gum. Rinse off the boat and trailer starting from the top working to the bottom. Leave the motor down when storing to drain the water then go and clean the one little croaker that I caught that day.

Durwood

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

If you trailer and flush the boat/engine, the salt will not affect anything. When you leave the motor in the salt water w/o a flush, is when they get corroded.

cuzzx

Seaman

I ran a 75hp evinrude in saltwater for 10 years.

I did the above and I sprayed the motor and outside connections with WD-40 each time I flushed the motor.

Plus had it serviced once a year.

Cyclone

Seaman Apprentice

I don't know if mine has ever seen fresh water, she is an old salty dog. After every trip I flush the engine on the muffs for about five to ten minutes, then pull the fuel line and let it use all the fuel in the carbs, this helps keep the carbs clean from varnish and gum. Rinse off the boat and trailer starting from the top working to the bottom. Leave the motor down when storing to drain the water then go and clean the one little croaker that I caught that day.

Durwood

This is exactly what I've been doing since 1980 with my 115, so far so good.