Force 120 Gear oil - Top up / Replacement

frasreid

Cadet
Hi

I have a Force 120 which I think is a 1995. The serial number is OEO97?95. The question mark replaces a damaged and unreadable digit on the serial number plate.

Could someone confirm that the engine is a 1995 please.

I want to replace or top up the gear oil on my engine however I am unsure as to the procedure.

I have a manual but I am still unsure what I should be doing.

The lower leg of the engine has three screws on the starboard side as listed below.

There are two screws in the casing situated slightly above propellor height. The one to the left has the word VENT embossed on the casing adjacent to the screw. This screw is positioned slightly higher than the one to the right of it which has the words OIL LEVEL embossed on the casing.

The third screw sits at the top of the skeg and has nothing embossed next to it.

All information will be greatly appreciated.

I have tried to upload a photograph of the engine but have been unsuccessful.

If you require a photograph I can email direct.

Thanks in anticipation of assistance.

Last edited:

wickware

Lieutenant
Re: Force 120 Gear oil - Top up / Replacenent

First Of All! Do Not Remove The Unmarked Screw.

Sending Attachment Tips:

1. Window?s property size must be small (JPG format, less than 95 kb, listed on the chart provided)

2. Hold the Alt key down while attaching/uploading or program related to cookies.

3. There are other restrictions (as only 5 attachments. Etc.) but I found these to b my major problem.

4. It might be a good idea to watch a qualified friend change the oil "First".

Good Luck,
JOW

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer

The three screws you refer to are the vent ,fill, and drain. Remove all three and drain the lower unit. Replace the bottom drain screw and refill the unit by putting the new lower end oil in till it starts to come out the vent. Let it sit for a short while so any air bubbles can work there way out and then top off. Replace the screws and your done.

wickware

Lieutenant

Wait!!!! From past post the unmarked screw removed could lead to having to disassemble and reassemble the lower unit. Check your manual. I feel you will only find 2 marked screws are used to service lower unit?s oil. I hope I?m correct with this info and its not too late. Please correct me if this is wrong. This might have had reference to a Chrysler motor.

Jow

wickware

Lieutenant

The three screws you refer to are the vent ,fill, and drain. Remove all three and drain the lower unit. Replace the bottom drain screw and refill the unit by putting the new lower end oil in till it starts to come out the vent. Let it sit for a short while so any air bubbles can work there way out and then top off. Replace the screws and your done.

Correction and my apology: I did find the info on 3 plugs in the Clymer Manual 3.5 - 140 HP1966-1988 page #113. I would hate to think that bottom drain plug is not marked vs not easily seen. By the instructions, it will be a time consuming process but can be mess-less.

Attached is my Chrysler 1970, 35 HP, Marked Vent & Oil Drain Plugs & Non Marked Screw (in the center). The location of the center screw basically dictates it?s not a drain, vent or fill plug.

JOW

Attachments

• Chrysler 1970, 35 HP, Marked Vent & Oil Drain Plugs & Non Marked Screw.JPG
    Chrysler 1970, 35 HP, Marked Vent & Oil Drain Plugs & Non Marked Screw.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 0

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer

Wickware on your lower unit you DO NOT want to remove the middle screw that would be bad. On your unit the top and bottom screw is for filling and draining the oil. You will fill from the bottom screw till it comes out the top then replace the bottom screw and top off what ever little leaked out. JUST DON'T REMOVE THE MIDDLE SCREW.

frasreid

Cadet

Hi guys.

Thanks for your responses.

I have managed to attach a photograph of the leg of my engine.

This may help you advise me on how I should tackle the oil replacement.

Thanks again for your help.

Attachments

• DSCF0062.jpg(a).jpg
    DSCF0062.jpg(a).jpg
    104 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Force 120 Gear oil - Top up / Replacement

Follow my first response directions. It takes about 10min to do. The thing i did forget to tell you is you should replace the O-Rings on the screws when you do the job. Don't worry if you find you have a little water in the oil when you drain it, this is normal.