Alpha One/5.7L, Tricky Trim problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Okeferl

Cadet
My Boat is having a slight problem.
-The Trim @ the Console lowers just fine.
-The Trailer button @ the Console Raises Just Fine
-The Trim in the back of the boat raises and lowers just fine.

Problem
The trim up button @ console will not raise the motor.

I have replaced the switch assembly @ the Console, didnt fix it. I have purchased a new up solenoid, havent installed it because I am going to be replacing the rusted frame for pump.

Could it be the solenoid? Considering the trim goes up with Trailer button and @ rear??? Any ideas?? Also there is no clicking when pressing the up trim button @ console.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Alpha One/5.7L, Tricky Trim problems

Sounds like the trim limit switch (on the port side of the gimbal ring) is faulty....

Do you have the manual with a circuit diagram?

Chris........

Okeferl

Cadet

If it was the trim limit switch wouldnt the whole system not work??

I do have a book

PitchFork

Petty Officer 1st Class

I do have a book

No the trim limit switch only limits the use of the thumb switch and not the trailer up button. It limits the drive from coming up to far when cruising while adjusting the trim. You will find must boats these switches are bypassed and not used because from what I have read on this forum is that these switches are famous for failing along with the trim position sensor. My boat has both of these switches disconnected because it is a PITA to change them out and costly if you do not it yourself. I have learned the feel of the boat without them. I replaced the trim gauge with a depth gauge.

achris

I do have a book

The trim limit switch does just that, limits the trim. Referring to the circuit diagram, you will see that the Trailer button and the rear mounted switch do not use the limit switch in the current path. The control handle trim switch does. As you trim the leg up the limit switch moves to the point where it goes open circuit, then the circuit is open and the leg stops moving. I suspect the limit switch is open circuit all the time (common problem)....

Chris.........

Okeferl

Cadet

From Stern Drives.com

The Trim Limit Switch prevents the driver from 'over-trimming" the outdrive while under way.
It is an important limiting feature which prevents damage to the drive and/or loss of control of the vessel.
Trimming the drive unit up too high while the boat is running can cause serious damage and/or injury.
When this switch fails, the TRIM BUTTON does not work. Only the TRAILER BUTTON will work.

Is this not the case?

Okeferl

Cadet

So if the Solenoid was bad the up wouldnt function at all? Both Trailer and up @ console travel through same solenoid.

Okeferl

Cadet

I thought I had a copy of the schematic but it is the wrong one. Do you have an e copy of one??

achris

From Stern Drives.com

The Trim Limit Switch prevents the driver from 'over-trimming" the outdrive while under way.
It is an important limiting feature which prevents damage to the drive and/or loss of control of the vessel.
Trimming the drive unit up too high while the boat is running can cause serious damage and/or injury.
When this switch fails, the TRIM BUTTON does not work. Only the TRAILER BUTTON will work.

Is this not the case?

Isn't this exactly your problem????

Need some more details on your engine and drive... Like a year or (better) serial numbers.

Chris.........

PitchFork

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was study about replacing my switch and sensor but was going to wait until I needed to replace my bellows. You have to take the drive and bell housing off to replace the switch. The local shop was quoting $450 to change the switch and sensor. I have gotten the feel of the boat how much to trim it up when cruising. Once on plane I trim up until the sound changes. If you trim up to far the bow will start to bounce when this happens I trim down a tad.

Okeferl

Cadet

No my down button still works at the control, just not my up button.

Trailer buttons also work.

achris

I give up!!!

Okeferl

Cadet

was i to confusing? The serial # is 0L031430, and it is a 98

PitchFork

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would first check your connections to the switch. Make sure the wires have not come loose. I would bet if you search there is a testing procedure with a voltmeter to check if the switch is good.

Okeferl

Cadet

The switch @ the Control or Trim limit switch?

PitchFork

Petty Officer 1st Class

The switch at the trim limit that is on the gimble ring. Their should be 2 sets of wires that come through the transom that connect to wires that run into the lanyard.

achris

was i to confusing?

:rolleyes:

The serial # is 0L031430, and it is a 98

Have a look at Service manual #14, page 1C-15, then the circuit diagram on the next page...

Download the manual HERE

Ah... WTF....

attachment.php

attachment.php

Chris.........

Attachments

• Trim pump Troubleshooting A1G2.jpg
    Trim pump Troubleshooting A1G2.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Trim pump diagram A1G2.jpg
    Trim pump diagram A1G2.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 0

Okeferl

Cadet

Is it difficult to access those points?

achris

The connectors are at the back of the engine.. Don't know your boat's set up, but in mine it's a b!tch! Head's in over the top of the engine, very little light, and an air intake screw stabbing me right in the guts! Can't spend long in there.

The trim limit switch is on the outside of the boat, on the port side of the gimbal ring....

Wait a second and I'll get some pictures up....

Time's up, here's the pictures....

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Chris........

Attachments

• DSC01604.jpg
    DSC01604.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC01607.jpg
    DSC01607.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC01636.jpg
    DSC01636.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 0

PitchFork

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes it can be depending on the boat and the person's size. I have to take out my back seats and take off engine cover to access that area. I usually have to squeeze myself back to see the wires that come out of the transom. You might be able to run a wire from both screws inside the switch to connect the wires together so the trim goes up. I have not cracked open a switch but I have seen pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.