OMC water pump belt

floattest

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1979 OMC 260 with the select trim.

Call me crazy, but all I wanted to do was a little preventive maintenance so I was going to change the water pump belt.

Are you kidding me I have to remove the engine mounts to do this?

I looked at this 3 ways to sunday and that belt is looped through the front engine mounts and I don't see a way to remove it simply.

Anyone ever done this procedure?

Attachments

• waterpumpbeltpic.jpg
    waterpumpbeltpic.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 0

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: OMC water pump belt

Yes,the mount must be taken loose...only way to do it.
Buy 2 belts and zip tie one of them out of the way.That way next time it needs a belt just cut the bad one off and put the spare on...;)

D_J_Winn

Seaman Apprentice

Just a suggestion-
I never tried this or heard of someone using this in their boat, however (just a suggestion) look into a Link Belt. Its a belt that you can twist links together to form a belt. Possible/Could save you some hassle.

King P.V.

Seaman

Well, I must be missing something however.... I think you have a 2.5 or 3.0 litre engine (120/140 hp) unit and not a 260... . At least that's what I view from your picture. Those are the engines that have the front mounted mount. 260's would be a V-8 engine and you'd not have to mess with any hardware in the way of the front of the engine. On the in-line 4 cylinders, you would. As Gary says, it's proper to buy two and tie one up and away from the pulleys so you can change the next one w/o having to support the engine or removing the front mount.

King P.V.

Seaman

As to your question, it's not that hard to do anyway. If you look at the two thru-bolts on the port side of the mount, you'll notice a little "block" of aluminum that you remove so as to slip the belt into and around the pully. You'll need to support the engine anyway, no-matter how you do this job... ..... I usually just remove the front mount assy as it's ez'iest to just do it and usually there's just not quite enough clearence with only the "block" removed ... Anyways, If you have a long 4x4, lay it across the sides of the boat on each gunnal. Take a fairly beefy rope and run it around the 4x4 and into the lifting eye located on the block or cylinder head at the front of the engine and back up to the 4x4. . Now, make sure that you have a rope not too thick but one that you can stick a long pry-bar into and tension up the slack of the rope and there-by support the weight of the front of the engine. Make sure you can secure the pry-bar after you get the tension/weight of the engine supported (you don't want it spinning out of control and droppping the engine OR hitting you.... LOL .. After you get the belts on, but not necessarirly adjusted (you can always do that later), put the mount, bolts and that spacer, back on and tighten... If you've found that the weight has streatched the rope (remember, you want to be able to support the engine weight, and be able to twist (and there-by shorten) the rope. Rotating the pry-bar gives you the small amount of adjustment you'll need to go up or down. The longer the pry-bar the ez'ier it is to rotate, don't go too short! Makes sense?? This is how I've done it many times if I find myself with-out the abillity to use an over-head hoist. Just be sure of what you are attempting to do and that it'll work for your application. Don't be whimpy on using a cheap, small thin rope either. I've been told that this method of raising and lowering is called using a "Chinese pulley". May not be politicly correct or accurate but.... it usually works for me. BTW, any attempt to do it my way is at your own risk, so have half a brain or don't do it at all. !!!!!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Well, I must be missing something however.... I think you have a 2.5 or 3.0 litre engine (120/140 hp) unit and not a 260
He has the V8. That engine mount is how OMC Stringers accomplished a trim system.

cr2k

Captain

So we are really talking about a circulation pump belt here.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

there's a spacer there on the port side where the mount attaches to the block. You just remove that spacer. put some blocks of wood under the engine.

King P.V.

Seaman

Not to be stubborn, V-8's had the select trim incorporated into the mounts located on each side of the block. In-line 4's have the standard mount located at the front of the engine with OR with-out select trim. Alot less torque on the in-line 4's than that of a v-8. The in-line 4's raise or lower just the one trim gear/shaft, while the V-8's raise and lower each trim ram on both sides. The in-line 4's were a "mechanical/electrical" unit while the V-8's were a hydraulic/electrical" unit. That's how I remember it. Maybe I'm just getting old.....and,,, let's not call each other names, just trying to help.. I'll admit I could be wrong but ... well, .. I could be ........

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You are getting old. The first ones were mounted on the front.

floattest

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Everybody. Yes its the circulation pump. Yes it's a V8. Here's another pics of this sweet powerplant.

I did look into those linkbelts, but I would only do that as an emergency item. maybe put one in the tool box to have out on the water just in case.

If it's just the one side and the spacer block it should be pretty easy. I'll support the engine across the stringers with a 2 by something and some shims.

Thanks for the ideas.

Attachments

• newmanis1.jpg
    newmanis1.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 0
  • oldmanis1.jpg
    oldmanis1.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 0

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I looked in the parts diagrams for that spacer, and it doesn't show on your model.
If there is one, the arrow in the picture below shows where it will be.

PS: Clean and paint those pulleys before you install new belts. That rust will eat up a new belt.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Spacer.JPG
    Spacer.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 0

King P.V.

Seaman

OK, I am stupid.... and incorrect. My bad!! nucklehead, i think is the correct term... 1976's had the front mount set-up except for the 250 hp. Later, 1981 and '82 OMC or so, went to the side mount type. I guess I'm too stubburn for my own good !!! I'll go back and read the latest posts about "off with my head". I guess I should be more accurate before I talk too much!!

floattest

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Take it easy KPV. No harm done. It's just boatin. :)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I say kill the bum :).
some of those front mount selectrim units had a spacer some did not.
either way it was a pain to change the drive belts.
just another reason I wont touch a stringer drive anymore but many are still out there.
just luckily not here in the salt pond.

Alws55

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Can't you just remove the pulley put the belt inplace and reinstall the pulley and adjust?

Or will it not clear?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Can't you just remove the pulley put the belt inplace and reinstall the pulley and adjust?

Or will it not clear?

Nope...Won't work.It still must get behind the engine mount.