Running Wire

Arkman

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 16' lund S-16 that I'd like wire lights, depth finder and a accessory power socket. I was hoping to run wire under the floor from the bow of the boat (where my battery is) to the back of the boat for my depth finder and such. How would you guys do this. I was thinking that I would get some of that plastic conduit pipe and run that under the floor then I could branch of from there and run conduit to the different electrical componets. Is that necessary or should I do something different?

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Running Wire

PVC pipe is the most commonly used rigging pipe in the boating industry. If you have access under the floor to get the pipe where you need it to go, that would be an excellent choice. Try to use the largest diameter that will fit and that you can deal with. It just makes pulling wire, cables, et al. that much easier...;)

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

On one open fishing type alum boat I had (Mirror Craft), I used the gray pvc electrical conduit (because of the color and the match to the boat) and routed it just under the gunwale cap of the boat securing it with regular conduit clamps and screw/bolt/lockwashers. Looked great and functioned accordingly......in case you decide to not run it under the floor.

Mark

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

you just need to be able to get to it and make sure its protected, fused and from being nicked.fuse as close to battery as possible. and keep it accesseble at easy to get to points so you can add more accessories later if needed.ie bulge pump,live well pump etc.

Arkman

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks everyone. I figured I would do a fuse set up like this. My battery is in the front, so I'd come right of the battery to the fuse box then go down into the conduit back to a switch panel. I might do the switch panel up front but I don't think so since I spend most of the time in the back. Then from the switch panel to the devices. I have easy access under the floor so I'll do that. Now that I think of it, it would be a lot less wiring to have the switch panel up front...hmm. Time to think some more.

Arkman

Chief Petty Officer

OK, I'v had some more time to plan. Now I'm wondering about wire size. My depthfinder is a lowrance x87 and it has a 3 amp fuse. Other then that I'm just going to do standard lights and maybe a powerport to charge my gps. That will go right be the depth finder. I'm wondering if I need to buy different wire sizes or could I get all of one size to make my life easier. What gauge would I need. The battery is in the front of my boat but I'm going to have the depthfinder in back...its a 16' lund but I would image it's about a 20' run of wire.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

From the fuse block to the accessories, 16 gauge wire is fine. From the battery to the fuse box however, use 10 gauge and install a 20A breaker or fuse in the red lead at the battery.

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

if you are going to run same gauge and same color gett different colored rolls of electrical tape so you can mark each wire and run one wire at a time.