Alpha off, whaduya think, u-joint corrosion...

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
So i took a few minutes to pull the outdrive off of the donor boat and here is what I found...
P1010009.jpg

P1010006.jpg

P1010007.jpg

P1010010.jpg

P1010011.jpg

I need to spend some time in the manual and searching the threads but my initial thoughts are...

Build a nice outdrive stand.
Replace the u-joints.
Bellows would be replaced when everything is transplanted into the Islander.

I'm sure this is rookie stuff, but, I'd be a rookie, eh!

So what do you seasoned Merc fellas think when you see what I have here?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Alpha off, whaduya think, u-joint corrosion...

I would pull the input shaft and check the input yoke seal and yoke seal surface before I got to carried away.
usually once water intrudes the bellows it starts rusting the cast iron seal surface and will cause an input shaft seal leak.
what happens is the upper case oil drains into the drive bellows and your first indication will be a destroyed upper case.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I would pull the input shaft and check the input yoke seal and yoke seal surface before I got to carried away.
usually once water intrudes the bellows it starts rusting the cast iron seal surface and will cause an input shaft seal leak.
what happens is the upper case oil drains into the drive bellows and your first indication will be a destroyed upper case.

Ugg, that is starting to sound bad. Thanks for the advice rod!

ziggy

Admiral

i found what rodbolt said to be true about my drive. it looked about like yours. that lead to a new input shaft + brgs. in my case. since yours ain't disintegrated yet ya just need to do some work on it.

i did that plus all the other associated parts. bellows, water hose, new gimble brg, ujoints, shift shaft, shift cable and bellows, etc. might as well knock it all off in one foul swoop. then ya can start fresh again...

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

i found what rodbolt said to be true about my drive. it looked about like yours. that lead to a new input shaft + brgs. in my case. since yours ain't disintegrated yet ya just need to do some work on it.

i did that plus all the other associated parts. bellows, water hose, new gimble brg, ujoints, shift shaft, shift cable and bellows, etc. might as well knock it all off in one foul swoop. then ya can start fresh again...

Yup, I am with you on all of that associated gear. It's all going to completely apart so now would be the time to make it all right.

Thanks ziggy!

zbnutcase

Commander

As you have to pull input shaft out and disassemble it to replace the u-joints anyway, I would just replace the input yoke. They are not that much money, and will save your drive. And don't forget to replace the yoke seal and large o-ring too. 'nutcase

Aviator5

Chief Petty Officer

I would replace that tiny shift shaft seal with the replacement kit, which contains the beefier bushing and seal. I bet that the one you have in there is leaking, and that water also goes into bellows.