Truck & trailer fully submerged

df909

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just saw this YouTube video with a pick-up truck and attached trailer fully submerged in the water. I'm guessing the person backed up to launch or retrieve and everything slid down a slippery ramp. Have you guys heard of this happening very often? What should you do if you find yourself slipping down the ramp with no traction? I guess holding your breath is obvious, but is there a way to save your butt?

Here is what I'm talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AiZhecyxX4&feature=related

nimmor

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Truck & trailer fully submerged

There are several situations that can occur to cause you to loose your rig. I knew a gentleman that was in a manual transmission and the parking brake cable broke. That is one reason I always use wheel chocks at the ramp. As far as what to do I would say if the truck sinks right away open the window and get out. The gentleman I spoke of at the beginning told me the truck actually floated for about a minute before it sank.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There are several situations that can occur to cause you to loose your rig. I knew a gentleman that was in a manual transmission and the parking brake cable broke. That is one reason I always use wheel chocks at the ramp. As far as what to do I would say if the truck sinks right away open the window and get out. The gentleman I spoke of at the beginning told me the truck actually floated for about a minute before it sank.

Ahh Wheel chocks at the ramp. This is actually a good idea.

Thanks.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it happens about 2-3 times a year here. not usually caused by slick ramp. but stupid human error.

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Both of them were pulling jetski trailers.

Lootas1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I only lost one car that way. Wheel chocked on one side. Wife went to drive trailer out and wheels spun and either kicked out the chock or rear of car slid to side. Back they went. I screamed at wife to jump. She jumped. Car was total loss and no insurance.

actionljackson

Petty Officer 3rd Class

glad to hear everyone was ok but insurance is required in WA state

cr2k

Captain

This is the proper way to launch a truck and boat.

This way you don't mess up a good boat.
It just rules out the slippery ramp excuse.

Attachments

• boatlaunch.jpg
    boatlaunch.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 0

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

glad to hear everyone was ok but insurance is required in WA state

nope... well, sort of nope. Liability insurance is required (25/50/10), no more no less. Liability will do absolutely nothing for you if you slide your own vehicle into the drink.

df909

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's crazy that a lot of the people that're swamping htit trucks have boat you can almost carry to the water.

Do you think that the front brakes are enough to hold a vehicle that starts to slide? What're some tips in case you do? I've heard one person say that they back in near the dock so they can turn the wheel and back into the dock if they slide.

Aviator5

Chief Petty Officer

Unless I see it myself I will never believe that truck will slide into the water with wheels locked. I believe in 99.9% it is a human error.