Adjustable Ball Mount Recommendation Needed

golf101

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just got a new trailer and will be potentially towing it with two different trucks that have two different heights. I'd like to use one ball mount, so have been looking at adjustable mounts. My boat plus trailer weight will be a little over 6000lbs. Any recommendations on mounts that will support this weight?

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Adjustable Ball Mount Recommendation Needed

I'd just get two fixed hitches. They're less expensive, there is less to go wrong. There is only one pin to allow slop opposed to four, and you only have one hairpin clip to worry about losing.
Only my nickel.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I agree...... plus a truck with a ballmount is like a guy w....... uh never mind ...... anyhow one for each truck will be cheaper and more convenient and you won't have the "yeah sure we can tow it with my.... Oh crap the ballmount is in my other truck at home."

golf101

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks. Looking at the prices of some of the adjustable ones, I probably will just buy two.

cribber

Lieutenant

Two would definitely be cheeper to get to match the tow rating you need. Adjustables are good for one vehicle that hauls different types of trailers.

j_martin

Admiral

Two would definitely be cheeper to get to match the tow rating you need. Adjustables are good for one vehicle that hauls different types of trailers.

Even then I just use different drop hitches. I must have about 6 of em around here. I can match anything to anything.

golf101

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On a related subject, is there anyway to determine what height the ball should be other than hitching the trailer to the boat and seeing if it is level or not? Seems a bit hit or miss as to what height the ball should be if the trailer is not level.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

tape measure.... figure about how much your truck will squat..... ex... if tongue weight is 200 lbs and you weigh 180 then step on bumber and measure..... if tongue weight is 800 then you are not hauling a beginner's trailer and you probably already have this figured out

generally tho this is not an exact science.... get it within a couple inches and you are set....

woosterken

Lieutenant

here is the formula that came with my tow bar and receiver.........

Scan10003.jpg

hope this helps

woosterken

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

back in the day, it was said that most trailers were set to be towed at 16 7/8" above level ground, or something close to that. but nowadays it depends on the vehicle, since they are so different now.

q5ka

Seaman

I like my adjustible hitch with quick balls. I have one hitch that I can adjust for the 10 odd trailers I connect to. I also have the quick change balls so if it is 2" or whatever, I got it covered. There has been multiple times visiting friends and since I take the diesel everywhere, I often get asked if I can help them move something while there. I am often willing because I will not get out of the cab and make them hookup and direct where to go. :p Yes they are expensive, but super handy when you need to switch height or ball size.