NJ saltwater licensce...

DaveyHAZZ

Petty Officer 1st Class
OKay so i registered, got it in the mail.. all good. just wondering why is it free THIS year? do they plan on charging us next year? Also is there any fines if you are not registered and get asked for it? Have many buddy's who i fish with over the summer months but they only come out 3 or so times a year...would be a pain to register.

Thanks
Big D

vxtech

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: NJ saltwater licensce...

i'm guessing the free registration gives each state a nice renewal charge list for next year- just speculation and if it will generate funds i'm sure they'll be fines too

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Yes, you will be paying next year. Proposed $15-$20 a year if your State does not come on board with SW licensing system of their own.

How hard it it register? It took you what, all of 2-3 minutes and you print out your license right then and there?

DaveyHAZZ

Petty Officer 1st Class

I dont care if it takes 5 seconds. It bull**** we have to do this...They wonder why the populations of fish are going down etc its because people arent gunna follow rules that are that strict..the fluke minimum length goes up almost every year...pretty soon there gonna say uhhhh yea its gotta be over 5 feet long and you got a keeper!..**** like this takes all the fun out of fishing

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

IThey wonder why the populations of fish are going down etc its because people arent gunna follow rules that are that strict..
Fisheries management is making decisions based upon flawed data. This system is being implimented so that more and better data can be gathered and used in the decision making process. If cost me 5 minutes of my time a year and cost of less than a case of beer so be it.

DaveyHAZZ

Petty Officer 1st Class

maybe your states different... I sure know mine is.. all a bunch of greedy bastards

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Fisheries management is making decisions based upon flawed data. This system is being implimented so that more and better data can be gathered and used in the decision making process. If cost me 5 minutes of my time a year and cost of less than a case of beer so be it.

Good for you but for me it stinks. I am in total agreement with DaveyHazz. I have a 20 ft. boat and enjoy taking an ocassional guest such as my sister from out of state & her son & daughter. They are not fisher-people in general and only fish during our get together. Now I am supposed to have them get a non-resident permit. BULL all the way. If I take annother family or friend it's the same S-IT all over again. Now they added that I must wear a life jacket because my boat is under 21 ft. The next ####### thing is I will have to wrap myself in bubble wrap when walking down the street so that I don't bruise my knee if I fall.

DaveyHAZZ

Petty Officer 1st Class

Atta boy levittownnick.. :D Im a NJ resident so we are not to far from each other... BTW. you just said ANYONE in a 21 foot and under boat needs a preserver? or is this age related...I have a 16ft and would not look forward to looking like a benny lol..

THanks BIG H

levittownnick

Atta boy levittownnick.. :D Im a NJ resident so we are not to far from each other... BTW. you just said ANYONE in a 21 foot and under boat needs a preserver? or is this age related...I have a 16ft and would not look forward to looking like a benny lol..

THanks BIG H

I was told (I did not verify) Everyone, no age qualifyer.
Where do you want your bubble-wrap sent?
Apparently they don't think boaters are responsable enough to take care of ourself.

DaveyHAZZ

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ill have to ask at my boating class on monday

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

Not true Davie - their gonna say it's got to be over 5 feet and under 5'3"

Then you can keep that nice striper.

DaveyHAZZ

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fl_Richard- wouldn't be surprised if this happened..Im waiting for them to put a size limit on Blue fish...as there is already a keep limit of 15.

jcupo6- :D so its not true???

jcupo6

Chief Petty Officer

I don't think so. Everything that I have found says anyone over the age of 12 does NOT have to wear one.

levittownnick

THanks BIG H

New York State.
Navigation Law Updates
Life Jacket Wear Requirements
Beginning November 1, 2009, Section 40, Subdivision 1 of the Navigation Law shall be amended by adding new paragraph (e), which reads as follows:

No owner or operator of a pleasure vessel less than twenty-one feet, including rowboats, canoes, and kayaks shall permit its operation, between November first and May first, unless each person on board such vessel is wearing a securely fastened United States Coast Guard approved wearable personal flotation device of an appropriate size when such vessel is underway.

Failure to wear a lifejacket on such vessels will be considered a violation under Section 73-c if the Navigation Law and is punishable by a fine of not less than $25 nor more than $100, applicable to either the operator and/or the owner of the vessel.

I was only 1/2 correct, this is a NY State Requirement.

Andy'sDelight

Petty Officer 1st Class

New York State.
Navigation Law Updates
Life Jacket Wear Requirements
Beginning November 1, 2009, Section 40, Subdivision 1 of the Navigation Law shall be amended by adding new paragraph (e), which reads as follows:

No owner or operator of a pleasure vessel less than twenty-one feet, including rowboats, canoes, and kayaks shall permit its operation, between November first and May first, unless each person on board such vessel is wearing a securely fastened United States Coast Guard approved wearable personal flotation device of an appropriate size when such vessel is underway.

Failure to wear a lifejacket on such vessels will be considered a violation under Section 73-c if the Navigation Law and is punishable by a fine of not less than $25 nor more than $100, applicable to either the operator and/or the owner of the vessel.

I was only 1/2 correct, this is a NY State Requirement.

This is likely the new rule that was referenced in an earlier post. To be quite honest the requirement is simply so it's easier for the CG to find a body to bring back to family members. If you go overboard in NY/NJ between Nov and May you're more than likely gonna be dead unless you get your rear back in your boat within mere minutes.

As or the fishing license, it's total BS.