Need some advice and info

Dave Barnett

Petty Officer 1st Class
I found a 1955 - 22 hp Sea King for sale. It has clear title and runs great. The Guy has it in a tank and ran it through all it's paces. He said it is an OMC made Sea King and that Evinrude and Johnson parts will fit it. He is asking 300.00 for it. I really like it and would like to take it on as a nice restore project. My questions are: Does OMC made Sea King interchange with Johnson/Evinrude? If not how hard are parts to find for it? Has anyone ever had any experience with a motor like this? Also please add any thoughts you might have.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Need some advice and info

what is the model #? OMC made some of the sea kings. for Montgomery Wards.

asdasc

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If the Model number starts with GG, it was made by Gale, a division of OMC. Many ignition and carb parts are available for most models, but not all. As tashasdaddy says, post the model number and we can easily tell you what parts you can get, and what parts will be difficult.

Dave Barnett

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm still waiting for an e-mail from the guy on the model # but I happened onto a website that give the model # for Sea Kings. According to the chart on the web site (http://www.discount-marine-parts.com/ob_sea_king_3.html ) It shows all 1955 Sea Kings as being made by Gale. I will post the model # when I receive word from the owner. Thanks for all your time. Dave

Dave Barnett

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't know if this will help much but here is a pic of the motor.

Attachments

• 55 Sea King.jpg
    55 Sea King.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 0

Dave Barnett

Petty Officer 1st Class

The Model # is GG9019 I sure appreciate any info and I thank you. Dave

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The Model # is GG9019 I sure appreciate any info and I thank you. Dave

GG-9019A is a Gale model 22D10. GG-9019B is a Gale model 22D12. Small engineering changes. Good motors, but rather big and heavy for only 22hp. Hey, state of the art in 1955.

99% of the parts are exactly the same as Johnson and Evinrude. However the Gale/Sea King 22hp has a smaller bore than the J/E cousins. Because of that, the block, pistons, rings, and cylinder head and gasket are different. Not sure, but probably the carburetor is a smaller bore to go with the smaller displacement powerhead.

That motor has an engineering problem. The seal on the lower crankshaft bearing is garbage. If it goes bad, water gets into the crankcase and destroys all the bearings. I strongly urge you to remove the powerhead and replace the seal, whether it needs it or not. Seal is part number 303804, available at any Evinrude dealer.

Picture shown here is a 12hp, same seal, same problem.

Attachments

• 12hp Gale lower seal 2.jpg
    12hp Gale lower seal 2.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 0

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

What is the displacement of that motor? Is it smaller than the 35.7 Big Twins of 55 and 56?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

What is the displacement of that motor? Is it smaller than the 35.7 Big Twins of 55 and 56?

The 22hp is 2-3/4" bore x 2-3/4" stroke = 32.6 cubic inches
The 25-30hp is 2-7/8" bore x 2-3/4" stroke = 35.7 cubic inches

Dave Barnett

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you all You have been a great help. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer. God Bless. Dave