Towing with a F-150/5.4

ramstein95

Recruit
Folks I'm looking to buy a Mako center console boat around 25ft for offshore. I'm worried if my 2WD F-150/5.4 with limited slip can pull her out of the water. I live on the coast with an in and out going tide. When I purchase the truck I wasn't thinking of a boat in the future. Am I in over my head with this truck? What can I do to prepare myself. I don't want to have to purchase another truck just to go boating. Please advise!

livin4real

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Towing with a F-150/5.4

The ramp type and condition/angle would be a big deciding factor.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

How much does it weigh? I towed a 7000#boat with an f-150 before.

scbackpacker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 06 supercrew with 5.4 liter engine 3:56 rear end. I pull a 19.5 ft Monterey Montura with it and it does great. My boat weighs 2700 lbs. empty plus 30 gals. of gas and trailer. I know the 25 ft will weigh more but I don't see any problems pulling the boat. Check your owners manual and there is a chart to go by to give you the towing capacity.

jfadool

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You have a good truck with a good drive train setup. I bet you would be just fine at 90% of ramps. At that other 10% just know your limitations.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

A 25' sounds like it would be pushing it for a F-150.

D

DJ

Your truck can handle the load. Your issues, as you are justified to suspect, will be launching and loading.

Low tide ramps can be slicker than ice. There is a point during launch and retrieval, that your rear wheels will be very "unloaded". That is the danger point.

If all four of your wheels are in the slime, you may not be able to control a backward slide. Been there.:eek:

I would not unload/load without someone in the drivers seat holding the brakes on. This will at least give you some holding power via your front brakes. As stated, if all four wheels are in the slime, all bets are off.

Be careful, take your time and pick your times carefully, watching the tide.

timmyjoebob

Seaman

Your truck can handle the load. Your issues, as you are justified to suspect, will be launching and loading.

Low tide ramps can be slicker than ice. There is a point during launch and retrieval, that your rear wheels will be very "unloaded". That is the danger point.

If all four of your wheels are in the slime, you may not be able to control a backward slide. Been there.:eek:

I would not unload/load without someone in the drivers seat holding the brakes on. This will at least give you some holding power via your front brakes. As stated, if all four wheels are in the slime, all bets are off.

Be careful, take your time and pick your times carefully, watching the tide.

Man, that's good advice. ;)

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Agree....good advice.

Nothing worse than that feeling of sliding down a ramp.
I have only had to use 4WD in my truck once while pulling out but was sure glad i had it.
The 150 should do fine towing but just pick the right time to launch and retrieve...;)
Your type of tires can be a big factor too..

oldskool7_11

Cadet

my boss has a 26ft walk around. his 05 f150 (2wd) has no problems at all. in and out with easy. his buddy has a 36' contender that is also pulled with a f150 (4wd rarely used). both rigs have lots of ramp time.

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

The 5.4 Engine has plenty fo torque to get that load moving. Its a good truck motor.

The weak point will be the weight of your tow vehicle and the brakes designed for it. Make sure you plan to have longer braking distances and no high speed down hill corners... take your time.

As for the ramps. Yes 2WD is a limiting factor. However, even though I have a 4X4, I have had to use it very few times to pull up the ramp... but when I did... I odn't know what I would have done without it. To compensate for this, instead of buyign another truck, for insurance that you will always be able to get out, you could buy an 8000lb rated winch.

As for sittign at the ramp. Something a lot of people overlook is adding an old drage racers trick to their rig. Line locks. You can use them to lock the bakes on your front tires and use the parkign brake for your rears.

All in all, the winch and line locks could be had for aroun $800 and some time to install them and you would have no worries. It would be cheaper than the taxes on the purchase of a different rig.

Happy Boating!

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You could also have an on demand locker installed in the rear end, they are pretty amazing. How far are you going to be pulling, real close local ramps would probably be okay. If you are talking a couple hundred miles each way with some grades involved, personally I would be concerned. It sucks driving on pins and needles all the time. A 25' boat is a big rig and Makos are not the lightest boats out there. While the engine may be able to handle the load I would be more concerned with drive train axels,brakes, etc. Does the truck have a tow package? If not I would limit my usage for very close ramps and load/unload only.

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer

A 3/4 ton 4x4, either gas or diesel, would work much better. As long as you are not over the rated towing load of your truck and hitch parts, you should be OK on the highway. Also, don't forget about a brake controller on the truck.

As others have said, the nature of the boat launch ramp will determine whether you need four wheel drive or not. We often see two wheel drive vehicles burning up the tires trying to pull out a boat. If the ramp is gradual and has good traction, that may not be an issue.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I have seen that very same truck unable to pull a 14 foot tinny out of a slipery ramp. It was You Tube worthy. My feeling is at the end of the day with that caliber of boat, you will regret no 4wd at the worst possible moment.

Blujay96

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used to have a 99 f150 2wd with the 4.6 and never had any problem getting my boat out of the water. You should be just fine.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

As stated above, if your truck is set up right, then the load is not a problem. Tire selection and ramp conditions could affect launch/retrieval. I have used my fathers f150 to drag our 6k camper through the mountains and the only complaint I had was gearing related. I think the newer trucks with the 6A would eliminate it. Don't ask what I usually tow it with :eek:

JimMH

Petty Officer 1st Class

All good information here especially on the slick low tide ramps. I also pull with a 150 class vehicle, 2006 Expedition 2WD. Boat weight loaded around 3600Lbs. I have thanked myself many times for having the brakes on the trailer and driving sensibly allowing greater stopping distance. I don't believe I would attempt to tow a 25ft with it though.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

the limited slip will make a big difference on the ramp. Mine has 4wd, but an open differental. and it does horrable in 2wd. But yous will be better in 2wd. But i still don't need the 4wd at the ramp.

A 5.4 engine can tow that boat. Huge engine.

Bowser4x4

Seaman

I use my 08 F150 5.4 4x4 to tow a Sea Ray Sundeck, which is a heavy boat. Usually, I do not need 4wd to pull the boat out, but it is nice to have as a backup. As others have said: ramp condition and tire selection make a major difference. If you still have the stock tires {my 05 had Generals and they were the worst tire I have ever had for traction} I would suggest a good set of tires...ie something along the lines of a Bridgestone Dueler Revo. When I changed from the Generals to the Bridgstones, my 4wd usage went way down.... Where I had to use 4wd to get moving up a lightly snow covered driveway with the Generals, the Revo's allowed me to stay in 2wd....

Woof
Bowser