Firearm {handgun} Law's

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander
Pretty sure I already know the answer, but one never knows for sure until they ask...so...

I inherited an old german issued FN Browning 7.65m{.32cal} from my father who recieved it from my uncle{dad's bro-in-law} who brought it home as a souveineer{spelling?}.This has never been registered that I'm aware of. Whats the law say about my selling it? Do I have to register it first? I'm almost sure the answer is yes, but want to be positive. Which leads to part two...whats entailed in registering Federal/State wise?

JDs Dorsett

Seaman
Re: Firearm {handgun} Law's

Hi, my advice is to go to your local gun shop with all of the info about the gun, and they should be able to help you. out here in CA. it still has to be recorded I am told, just to keep it. as far as the actual registering part that I have done with mine, it was no big deal filling out the paper work. hope this helps

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

As for registering, I'd say call your local police station, explain the situation, and ask them what to do. But if it was never registered, you may be out of luck. Here's from a michigan.gov faq:
-------------------------------
I found a pistol in an old house that I was fixing up. Can I get it registered in my name?

You should take it to your local police agency and they can check on the history of the pistol. They will, of course, check to make sure it is not stolen, and also for any previous registered owner. If the pistol was not previously registered, it is considered contraband, and cannot be registered to you. If there was a previous registered owner, attempts should be made to contact that person. If contact is made, the pistol will either be turned over to them, or they will sign off as seller on a License to Purchase issued to you. If attempts at making contact are futile, you can get a License to Purchase and the pistol can be released to you.
------------------------
http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1586_27094-10953--,00.html

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

If it was here in Wis there is no formal registration of guns. handguns or otherwise. I do not know Mich laws for ownership though.

if it were sold here there would be no paperwork needed as long as it was a private sale.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I believe that here in Texas any sale by or to a licensed dealer is reported to the state. Private sales are not recorded. So there may be a few million firearms in Texas that are not in the state records.

Huron Angler

Admiral

I'm fairly certain that only pistols/handguns must be registered in Mich.

If you were to buy a pistol at a gun show you would need to already have the cleared purchase permit with you that meets the Brady Bill background check reqs...for a shotgun or rifle there are no requirements. I got a shotgun as a gift last fall and no paperwork was required:)

Huron Angler

Admiral

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1586_27094-10953--,00.html#Pistol_Registration__Purchase____Transfer

[8. My uncle had a .357 magnum revolver registered in his name when he died. My brother has had custody of the gun but now wants to give it to me. What procedure do I follow to gain legal possession of this gun in Michigan, since my uncle obviously cannot sign it over to me?

MCL 28.422 Michigan statutes provide for the personal representative of the estate or next of kin having authority to dispose of the pistol to sign the License to Purchase as the seller.]

If the gun was never registered this might be a bit of a headache.

Also it sounds like whoever you sell it to needs to do this:

5. In Michigan, what is a License to Purchase and is one needed in every case where a pistol is acquired?

MCL 28.422 A License to Purchase is a license required prior to acquisition of a pistol by purchase or gift. The important part of the License to Purchase is the affidavit signed by the purchaser swearing to their own qualifications. A License to Purchase is not needed for anyone with a valid Michigan Concealed Pistol License, for firearms dealers purchasing from wholesalers, or for relics, curios, antiques, etc., not made for modern ammunition. Someone with a valid Michigan Concealed Pistol License must, however, complete a Pistol Sales Record when purchasing or acquiring a pistol.

BTW how much do you want for it? Sounds like a nice little piece:) We have a little Walther .32 that's great for target.

25-06shooter

Cadet

Firearm registration in the US is ILLEGAL. There is no "database" of legally owned firearms. The only database out there is of guns reported stolen or used in a crime. (The general public does not have access to this database, only law enforcement, and law enforcement is not supposed to run a serial number for you.)

In NC (and several other states) when you purchase a handgun, you are required to show that you are legally able to own said handgun through obtaining a pistol purchase permit. This is the case whether bought from a dealer or an individual. The seller (dealer or private) is required to keep the permit for 20 years. A dealer has to keep all of your information on file in case the pistol has to be traced. ATF calls the manufacturer to find what dealer it was shipped to, dealer finds who it was sold to and passes on the info. After 20 years the dealer destroyes the records.

Call your local Sherriffs office and ask if there is anything you are required to do by your state law.

Nate

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the replies folks...Guess I will have to check locally and take it from there.

@ H.A. - I have no idea it's worth, seen 'em listed from 400 upto 1200 depending on condition, and I'm in no way, shape or form, qualified to offer thoughts on condition.

Thought some might like a view of it...it's missing the other grip, other than that all I can say is 'seems in working order'{take that for what it's worth lol}. Only have the one magazine {inserted}.

browning.jpg