Ran the boat for the first time, need help!

nswtex

Cadet
Well I got her on the water for the first time but I have a problem that I could use some input on. I wasn't sure if I should have put this in the motor forum but I also wanted to share how good it felt to be able to get the boat on and off the trailer, started, navigate to and away from the dock almost like I knew what I was doing all thanks to this forum!!!

Kudos to all you guys and gals that make this a great place to be.

Now my motor starts fine, I let her warm up and then take her out, after about 10-15 minutes of running I get little surges, then it cuts out all together. I was able to start her back up and limp back to the ramp but it got increasingly difficult each time it died and on start-up it blew more and more white smoke each time.

Any thoughts? Feel free to chime in to tell me how small a problem this is and how easy the fix will be so I can put her back in the water. :D

Capt'n Chris

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Ran the boat for the first time, need help!

Inboard, outboard, I/O? Your symptoms, from what little information you describe, covey that it might be an outboard with a choked off portable fuel tank vent.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Ran the boat for the first time, need help!

Glad you are on the water .....but you need to give a lot more information and post in the section most suited. Firstly,
What kind of motor, what year, serial number and as much history as you can give. We can all go from there.
Hopefully a mod will move this to the correct section when we all know what motor you have.
Alternatively start a new thread in the correct motor section. You will get all the help you need there.:)