stupid question

fredrico

Cadet
I've heard that the only stupid question is the one that's not asked. So here goes. I used to have a 70 yamaha on a jet and ran it in salt water. The only way to flush it out at home was to put it in a tub. But I also used to throw in a quart or two of burnt or used oil in the mix. What would the probability of doing that with my 115 johnson '93 model? Would it not dissolve some of the scale?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: stupid question

I've heard that the only stupid question is the one that's not asked. So here goes. I used to have a 70 yamaha on a jet and ran it in salt water. The only way to flush it out at home was to put it in a tub. But I also used to throw in a quart or two of burnt or used oil in the mix. What would the probability of doing that with my 115 johnson '93 model? Would it not dissolve some of the scale?

Water is the solvent for salt. Your greasy solution might help prevent corrosion, but that is about all it will do. It sure won't disolve corrosion that has already happened.

fredrico

Cadet

OK then, you seem to up to date on the subject. What would you recommend to dissolve the scale? By the way, have you tried used motor oil?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Most outboard jet pumps have a screw that can be removed from the side of the housing into which you screw a hose adaptor so you can run it out of the water.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

What would you recommend to dissolve the scale?
To people in the UK I usually suggest a sulfamic acid based heating boiler descaler but i dont know what products are available to you. Sulfamic acid is a weak acid stronger than organic acids like acetic and citric but nowhere near as strong as the strong acids like hydrochloric and sulfuric

You might as an alternative care to check out RYDLYME a marine descaler that should be just the job.

Remember though if its totally blocked anywhere no chemical descaler is going to get through!

Also if you have put oil through it it is going to prevent a descaler working ... You'll have water proofed the scale

fredrico

Cadet

thanks for the suggestions. Don't know where I might find any rydlyme, sounds good.maybe some CLR might be a reasonable substitute.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

So here goes my stupid question: Why do you think it has scale in it?

fredrico

Cadet

So here goes my stupid question: Why do you think it has scale in it?

wrong F_R, you've asked it, therefore its not stupid.

Now you've opened up a whole new topic.

How does one determine if there is scale in the motor?
Care to refresh us on that F_R?

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

maybe some CLR might be a reasonable substitute.
Maybe. It contains lactic acid and a little gluconic acid, both of which are weak organic acids.
It will be relatively slow acting when cold.

However the info available does say not to use on aluminum!

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Deleted .. duplicated post

How the hell do you completely delete a post on these forums?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

wrong F_R, you've asked it, therefore its not stupid.

Now you've opened up a whole new topic.

How does one determine if there is scale in the motor?
Care to refresh us on that F_R?

Well, I mean are you actually having a problem with the cooling system? Or are you simply imagining whatever gremlins might be lurking in there? Yamaha motors are as good as any for running in salt water. That doesn't mean that corrosion can't get a foothold in there. Aluminum corrosion is aluminum oxide and nothing is going to dissolve it without also damaging the good aluminum. I wouldn't be putting acids and stuff in it if it were mine. CLR and lemon juice, etc?? Well it probably won't have a drastic effect, but it probably won't do anything constructive either.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

If you think you have a build of salt and corrosion inside the water passages you can always pull the heads off and inspect some key areas to find out.

Rinsing with water and Salt Away will help keep the internals clean, but won't remove a heavy build up.

Run the 115 on muffs after being used in saltwater and it should last a very long time without issues.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Salt-Away does work and will dissolve built-up salt if allowed to work on it.

Salt-away has no effect on the more common calcium build-up, or on aluminum oxide that I can determine.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Salt is pretty soluble in plain fresh water without adding any other chemicals!

A bit of Googling comes up with the info that Salt Away contains 5% sulfamic acid, an acid which is stronger than all the common organic acids but nothing like as strong as the mineral acids ( eg hydrochloric, and sulfuric).

(unfortunately the MSDS is not available on line.)

If that is so it will to some extent remove calcium carbonate scale and regular use may help in keeping it scale free.