evinrude 1987 2.7 225 ho

bulldogdaddy

Recruit
i have owned this motor for 3 yrs,2 of those it was on a shelf in a crate,it was rebuilt before i bought it and has 30 over pistons in it.it ran like a bat out of hell,even though it drank more gas than i could ever drink in alcohold:D Well i had a piston failure,the back of the piston cracked off(the outer wall),luckily i have no cyliner score. Now i've been told these motors can be highly modified.now do some of you know any tricks? I've been told you can port the exhaust,put bigger carbs on it and so forth. just would like to hear from a few other people. btw i am new to this site and it seems like a very informitive site.thanks for any help.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: evinrude 1987 2.7 225 ho

The motor you have is a 2.7 liter (3.500) small bore looper and they didnt make a HO in this year. This motor came from factory with a "bridged port" exhaust and thick cylinder liner with no finger ports. If I was to "hop up" this engine this is how I would do it:
1) Bore it to 3.685 "big bore"
2) Have finger ports cut in cylinder
3) Ditch the "tea cup" intakes and use 95 and above intakes
4) Get a set of 99 model 225 carbs and throttle plates as they are bigger (200 & 225 in 87 use same carbs)
5) Or get a 93 and up block with finger ports, get 6 finger ported pistons,install your crank and heads(do cooling mod to head) ignition system and 99 model carbs..

bulldogdaddy

Recruit

thanks fastbullit. i'll start looking into getting some carbs,was told by a friend to get bigbore carbs for it.said that these motors do not get enough air into them. do you have any idea how much hp i can get with what you quoted me?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

You will get a honest 230-240 hp at prop..If you got the $$ and want to part with it I give you a fellows number... with your block, special mods', yamaha flywheel and ignition he can get you close to 350hp from it:D If you dont have a hull that can handle this hp and speed you are wasting your time and $$$...