I.D.'ing a torn/damaged Mercruiser engine coupler

sikpupy

Seaman Apprentice
Is it safe to assume that you can easily tell (when off the engine and out of the boat) when the engine coupler from a mercruiser/alpha setup is toast/failed?

I am in the market for a new or used one and if I go used, I want to make sure I do not buy a failed unit. I want to know what to look for (Its kind of obvious me being a mechanic) when I get one in my hand, but being this is a boating item, I want to make sure. If it is old and cracked a little, which 95% probably are, I know you cant tell "when" they may go, but, looking for the inside scoop as to what to look for when they "have" failed.

Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: I.D.'ing a torn/damaged Mercruiser engine coupler

Ayuh,... Merc has used Several different design couplers,...
Each is accessed slightly differently...

Which 1 are you talkin' about,..??

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

In 99% of the couplers, the aluminum splines are removed from the insert. Not hard to "See" a failed unit.On the other hand , a badly worn one will/might have sharp points instead of flat ridges. for the splines.

sikpupy

Seaman Apprentice

I will be looking for the 97432A2 coupling in the near futurefor a backup. I have 1 on an engine and possibly 3 (I forget what my parts engines had on them) but I have not checked thier condition yet.

Hmm, off the top of my head, never thought about checking the splines too. I would definitly have, when in my hand, but I guess I was so intrested in failed rubber I didnt give the splines a thought.

Thanks for the input.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Identifying the obvious stuff is not all that hard.

If it's worn though, that's a little harder. Until it fails..... I "spun" a couple on my previous boat that had a 1966 150 Mercruiser. The coupler was original and when I inspected after it failed, it appeared that someone had drilled out the (inside) splines! They were completely gone!

You do need to know that considering the amount of work there is changing one (pulling the drive, the engine, replacing the coupler, reinstalling the engine, realigning the engine, reinstalling the drive).......
It's just not worth using a used one unless you enjoy doing the above!

That coupler is about $275-500 depending on if you get it from a Mercury dealer or after-market (Sierra etc)

Don't cause yourself more problems than you already have...........(3.7L/470 engine :eek:)

Get a new one and call it good.

Good luck!

Rick

sikpupy

Seaman Apprentice

Probably a good call, thanks.