The Big Game!

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral
So, tommorow is the big game, the refreshments and food have been bought, the friends have been invited and the excitement is building.

While we wait for it to begin, I'd like to take a moment to offer best wishes to all of the Colts fans. I hope the game is close and full of "on the edge of the seats" moments. No matter who wins, its going to be a great time!

???

angus63

Captain
Re: The Big Game!

Good luck Jay, I'm pullin' for the Saints to take home a trophy!!!:)

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well we have a rack of ribs marinading in beer and barbecue sauce , 2 lbs of cocktail shrimp , motz sticks and hand battered onion rings ready to go in the deep fryer. Case of beer and a good bottle of wine . Should be done just in time so sit down and watch the COLTS win !!!

MRS

Commander

I hope it is a great game not a blow out no matter who wins (Indy):D:):D:)

FishyFish

Chief Petty Officer

The food will be ready, The fluids will be flowing, Let the game begin.
No matter who wins we will enjoy!
SuperBowl.........I'm just say'n!

Fish

Autotech

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jay
Whats the latest on the NFL and the "Whoo DAt" shirts law suit:D. Have not heard any-thing on it lately?

skargo

Banned

Ahhh, the Holy Mecca of NFL fans is finally here!

Go Saints!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Close game with a Saints victory !!!:)
Time will tell though.

Fly Rod

Commander

Let the game begin!

Spirites
Native minced shrimp/cream cheese spread with crackers.
Sauted mussels in a butter/garlic saurce.
Corned beef brisket will be served with veggies.

Really does not matter which team wins, hope that it is a close game.
If the Saints win I'm sure the partying on Burbon Street will be bigger then Mardi-Gras.

noworries79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Burgers, fries, chili, nachos, and even speckled trout bites...Go Saints!!!

HANGEYE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Smoked Chubs deboned in a bowl with a little onion and miracle whip for the crackers, Pepsi marinated Pork Ribs and a case of beer. Let the game begin. I just hope it's a close nail biter and may the best team win. Kinda rooting for the Saints.

Summer Fun

Banned

I hate to tell you Guys this !!!.. But the game was canceled :eek:.
.v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
vv
Just kidding .
20.gif

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Jay
Whats the latest on the NFL and the "Whoo DAt" shirts law suit:D. Have not heard any-thing on it lately?

Let's just say that if the NFL was a team in the game of trademarking stuff, they'd be 1-15!

The position that they took was generated by the Saints owner, Tom Benson. We love our team here in Louisiana, but many of us think he is a jerk. So, he tried to enforce the ? and the NFL took the lead on it. From a legal perspective, their position was preposterous and that was quickly pointed out to them by everyone from the local "Joes," to both of our US Senators. Of course, threatening protections from both the Sherman Anti-Trust laws and the US Tax Code, kinda helps too!

WHO DAT DIS, NFL!​

???

angus63

Captain

There is alot of noise up here in NY about one of my childhood favorites, Ron Swoboda of the 1969 New York Mets who made the greatest catch in right field to propel my Mets to the World Series. The story goes he was the NOLA broadcaster who started using the "Who dat?" phrase for the Saints. Is that how it goes down there?

Go Saints!!!!!

skargo

Banned

Why is Peyton Manning's head so misshapen and alien-like? :confused:

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

There is a sportscaster here by the name of Ron Swoboda, so he's probably the same guy, but the phrase "Who Dat" has been in Louisiana culture for over 100 years. The Fleur De Lis has been a symbol of the City of New Orleans for several hundred years. It is often credited to the French, but apparently comes from the Italians, prior to use by the French.

I just looked to see if the city of Indianapolis has a symbol, but couldn't find one. Ths state flag for Indiana is kind of interesting, though. Indiana was the 19th state in the Union, so it has a total of 19 stars. Thirteen of those stars are in an outer ring, representing the original 13 states. In the middle is a torch, with six stars, one of which (for Indiana) is larger than the other five, which represent the five states after the original 13 that came before Indiana. The flag was designed by Paul Hadley, of Mooresville, Indiana, in response to a contest sponsored by the Daughters of the American Revolution.

The "party" starts in about fours hours - to steal phrase from wrestling (do I have to pay a royalty?), "let's get ready to ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuumble!"

???

mphy98

Lieutenant

I am hoping the Saints win even though I am a Packer fan. The stock market responds better to the NFC team winning. Looking to get the 401 into shape. I do not know why this is, but it is so.

so WHO DAT

Jeep Man

Commander

Jay
Whats the latest on the NFL and the "Whoo DAt" shirts law suit. Have not heard any-thing on it lately?

The NFL backed off.. sort of. They said they only had issue with WHO DAT shirts being sold as official NFL shirts...............And brown shirts with "I made this WHO DAT t-shirt. So sue me.":D:D

angus63

Captain

Jay
Here's the story from the local:

When you hear the name Ron Swoboda, surely your mind replays the remarkable diving catch he made in Game 4 of the 1969 World Series.
Seemingly coming out of nowhere, the Mets rightfielder laid out and made an acrobatic backhand catch to rob the Orioles' Brooks Robinson, turning an extra-base hit into a sacrifice fly. It drove in the tying run in the ninth inning, but it could have been worse, and the Mets went on to win the game in the 10th. They captured their first world championship the next day, cementing Swoboda's place in Mets history.
That much we all know about him as a Met.
But have you ever heard about Swoboda's place in New Orleans Saints history?
Let's put it this way: There might not be a "Who Dat? Nation" - that's what Saints fans call themselves - if not for Swoboda's role in popularizing the phrase in 1983.
Yeah, we were surprised the first time we heard Swoboda's place in this, too. Heck, who knows how many people in New Orleans know the full story behind their catchphrase?
That's why we'll let Swoboda tell it in his own words, as spoken to a Newsday reporter Friday.
"It was 1983 and I was in New Orleans doing sports on television. I was the sports anchor and sports director at WVUE. We were in an ABC affiliate. And we did an hour sports broadcast ahead of 'Monday Night Football.'
"It was a couple of years into Bum Phillips' run as head coach of the Saints and he had had a couple of pretty good drafts. The team in '83 came out of the gate 4-2, and that was all that was needed to project people into unreality. So they got pretty excited about it.
"My reporter, Ken Berthelot, who did high school pieces for me; one day he got on the bus with the St. Augustine football team - they called themselves St. Aug - and they were heading to a game. And they got into this chant.
"Who dat say dey gonna beat St. Aug? Who dat? Who dat?
"He got it on videotape, and I loved it. We played it on a Monday night and it started catching on. I started hearing Saints fans saying it.
"Then there were these two guys in the record business - Steve and Sal Monistere - and they took the song 'The Saints Go Marching In' and created a version of it for the Saints with the 'Who dat?' chorus.
"Who dat say dey gonna beat dem Saints? Who dat? Who dat?
"Aaron Neville sang it and they got five Saints players to do it with them. When they were recording it, they called me and asked if I wanted to videotape the recording of the song. I said if I could have an exclusive of the video, we would play the heck out of this thing. They said yes.
"I even stood up there with the five players looking extremely rhythmically challenged. I didn't have the New Orleans street beat down by then. But anyway, we created the video and I played the heck out of it.
"We used to do the Monday night show out of a local bar, a different location every week. And this song just took off. It went crazy. We were turning hundreds of people away from the bar. One night, we had the five players doing the song live from the bar's balcony, and it was incredible.
"This was probably the high point of my sportscasting career. It was amazing. It just ran so strong. And it didn't go away, not even after all these years. The Saints eventually took the phrase in-house. They created a 'Who Dat?' club. Now the fans call themselves 'Who Dat Nation.' It's really incredible."
Fast-forward 27 years and the Saints are in the Super Bowl for the first time in franchise history.
"Who dat?'' was the headline on the cover of Sports Illustrated last week. The phrase has been in the news all last week because the NFL tried to claim copyright on it for marketing purposes before bowing to public pressure. And reports from Bourbon Street after the Saints' NFC title game win say fans celebrated with street-wide chants.
"Who dat say dey gonna beat dem Saints? Who dat? Who dat?''
All that was missing from 1983 was Ron Swoboda dancing.

I'm sure there's alot of similar claims...

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

...............And brown shirts with "I made this WHO DAT t-shirt. So sue me.":D:D

Dat would be a gold shirt, dagnabbit! As in "the black & gold!" :D

Actually, it was the closest thing to gold that the guy who really made it for me, had. For some reason, the shirt would have cost a lot more if it were black with gold lettering.

All the info on Ron Swoboda and St. Aug. is true, but there's more to it than that. That said, I'll leave the info until after the game.

In the spirit of fun, Ima route for the "other guys" (well, at least for a few seconds) .... GO COLTS!

???