1236 jon boat

boater1234

Master Chief Petty Officer
does anyone know if a 1236 jon boat transom would hold up a 25 2stroke yamaha it is only 105lbs and the boat is rated for a 15 4stroke but the 15 weighs 120lbs 15 more than the 2 stroke 25 so i would think it would hold it what are your thoughts thanks.i also know the torque is a big difference but u could probally never go full throttle in that boat with that motor probally about 40mph and scary, scary, scary i just want alot of extra horses because i never have enough with my 15 to outrun a summer storm in fl and people who live in fl know how fast it goes thanks for any help.

jdsgrog

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1236 jon boat

I'm sure it can hold it, but i don't know if I'd recommend it. There's more that goes into hp rating than just weight.

BTW, which 1236 jon boat do you have or are looking into? I've never heard of a 1236 jon with a 15hp rating (well at least an aluminum jon).

robert graham

Admiral

A 15HP on a 1236 jon should give you plenty of speed and power, especially if you have your weight distributed properly( plenty in bow). Good Luck!

fishrdan

Admiral

I have a 7.5HP on a 1436 jon boat and it's plenty at sea level,,, at altitude I wished I had a bit more. 25HP on a 1236 would be scary fast and pretty dangerous though. I drove my buddies 12' Lund solo once, it had a 25HP Merc... It hauled a** and was scary fast as I mentioned. I clipped a small wake and did an immediate 90* turn :eek: Not enough boat in the water to keep it on course....

Just because you have 25HP does not mean you have to use all of it, but the temptation is there

mpsyamaha

Petty Officer 1st Class

itll be scary fast, but hey its you that could end up swimming, not me :p little john boat with a lot of power is gonna be squirrelly. i have a good friend with a 14' aluminum john and it had a 25 on it and it was too much motor for it. went to a 15hp and its great now. still hit 23mph on gps with 2 adult men and gear.

Kobie

Cadet

Here's a video of my 14ft v-hull with a 1980 Evinrude 15hp. On take off into the wind, the boat is extremely scary...and this is coming from a 17 year kid. My boat has topped out at 29.6 gps, and at that speed, hitting a minor wake sends me flying for a long time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNe87kDEF1U

I would stick with the rating on the flatbottom boat, any more than that and you're asking for trouble. A flatbottom aluminum cannot handle waves and such nearly as good as a v-hull, so any small ripple and you could lose it. There is a guy over on tinboats who modded his 1236 for a 25hp and hits 30mph with 2 in the boat. He added bracing, decking, and alot of weight, and still pushes past the thirty mark which is a little insane.

ShadowB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 1448m and tried it with a 20HP this past summer. The boat is rated up to 20HP but it was too much motor. I always was looking for the wave that was going to send me swimming. I made sure the friction lever was up a bit so I didn't inadvertently pull the tiller when hitting waves. I came to my senses and took it off and put a 15HP on it. Still is pretty fast for that size boat. I'd guess a 9.9HP would be plenty for yours. Even the 9.9HP will give you an appreciation for wearing a life vest and the kill lanyard at WOT.

boater1234

Kobie my friend that is very fast but u weigh maybe 150lbs at best i weigh 270lbs and my bro weighs about 270lbs so were talking aples and oranges i had a 1236 with a 9.9 years ago and of course i was 100lbs lighter and it moved pretty well and i had a 9.8 tohatsu by the way best motor i have ever owned peroid to this day should of never sold it but went on to bigger and better things and now i'm back to the drawing board economy reasons,the one thing i will say about the litte boat i caught more and better fish than my 16 key largo i had but had more fun with the bigger boat.so here i am square one again but i will get back again but i want a big 1852 lowe with a 40 etec as my primary boat when i get the money and i don't know when that will be so thanks guys for any help u gave me but i think i need more than a 15 for our big butts and i might go with a 1436 instead it's rated for a 20 and heavier aluminum gauge .064 instead of .053 big difference.going boat shopping right now let u know how it turns out.

NYBo

Admiral

You're looking to put a motor on that is 67% over the rated HP capacity on a jon boat for the purpose of outrunning bad weather. Off the top of my head, I can't think of too many better recipes for disaster.:eek:

Get a weather radio if you don't already have one, stay closer to safety, or get a more capable boat. Those are the safest options I can think of.

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

i weigh 270lbs and my bro weighs about 270lbs ....... but i want a big 1852 lowe with a 40 etec as my primary boat when i get the money and i don't know when that will be so thanks guys for any help u gave me but i think i need more than a 15 for our big butts and i might go with a 1436 instead it's rated for a 20 and heavier aluminum gauge .064 instead of .053 big difference.going boat shopping right now let u know how it turns out.

So you are talking about putting 540 pounds (plus gas, battery, fuel, etc. and also plus the 105 pounds for the motor) in a narrow 12 ft jon boat and then overpowering it besides. That boat is rated for 540 pounds. As a minimum, you are talking about putting 645 pounds in it (and that is just the motor and you two people.) I think that is a recipe for disaster.

Even the 1436 is rated for at most 625 pounds. That is still overloaded (although a lot closer). Look at a 1442 if you really want to be safe.

http://alumacraft.com/jon-boats/riveted-specs.php

TerryMSU

boater1234

got it i'm going with the 1442,i'm going to buy it tommorow for $1400 is this to much i have looked all over and that seems to be the cheapest i found.

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Smart move! Good luck fishing. I am jealous. Right now it is 27 F outside. The only fishing that I am doing for the next couple of months is thru the ice and I am getting too old for that type of fishing.

TerryMSU