Disc Brake conversion

yellow boy

Recruit
I am new to this forum and my question may be one that has been answered previously, if so I apologize.

I am purchasing a Grady White that will gross approx 5,000 lb. on the trailer,
I want to install ss Disc Brakes in place of the drum brakes. Is this a job I can do in my driveway or do I need to have this done at a commercial shop?

thx in advance,
yb

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: Disc Brake conversion

I am new to this forum and my question may be one that has been answered previously, if so I apologize.

I am purchasing a Grady White that will gross approx 5,000 lb. on the trailer,
I want to install ss Disc Brakes in place of the drum brakes. Is this a job I can do in my driveway or do I need to have this done at a commercial shop?

thx in advance,
yb

Easily done in a drive way.
Is there something wrong with the current brakes?
What brand/s are you considering? Several members here and on other boards have had issues with the tiedown disk brakes.

Seon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Depending on your mechanical skills, it's relatively easy.
But you'll have to buy the disc brake actuator along with the disc brake assy. At this point, I'd also install new lines.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

But you'll have to buy the disc brake actuator along with the disc brake assy.
Very easy to modify the existing master cylinder so it can work with disk brakes. You basically puncture the residual valve since you don't need residual pressure on disk brakes.

Don't buy the tie downs. I went that route and have 4 sets of them sitting in my garage collecting dust. I went with the Kodiaks. I didn't go with the stainless but I wash mine thourougly after I dunk them. I have no corrosion issues.

Black Snow Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class

I converted mine from drum to disk. Get a schematic of the actuator. I found the only difference between the actuator for the drum vs the disk is a little plastic washer. Took me 10 minutes to remove the plastic washer and reassemble. Saves a enough to fill the tank a few times. I cant remember the brand of disks I went with but I do remember some complaints of stainless steal warping issues. I have a fresh water rinse system on my trailer so wasn't really concerned with salt sitting for too long.

As for backing up I trashed my electric shut off when I put it in reverse. I had nothing but problems with it so I installed a t valve to turn off the fluid. Yes you need to get out to turn it but I never had a problem with it malfunctioning.

I added bearing buddies while I was at it and traded in my bias ply China made trailer tires for Radial Good Years. All balanced. Felt like how a trailer should feel.

My braking distance improved greatly. Driveability improved greatly. We have a 07 Monterey 250CR. Fully Fueled, gear and water I weigh in at 8k.

wildspeed

Petty Officer 2nd Class

easily done on the driveway...(as long as your bolts are not rusty as mine were.......)

DCP_5370.jpg

DCP_5371.jpg

Should be finish later on today.....

I did replace the springs and move the axle forward when I was at it.....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Looks good. Which brakes did you get?

wildspeed

Petty Officer 2nd Class

went with the KODIAK 10" S-CAD and TITAN 60 Lever Lock Disc Actuator w/Solenoid.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

went with the KODIAK 10" S-CAD and TITAN 60 Lever Lock Disc Actuator w/Solenoid.
The Kodiaks are great. I was going to get the s-cad but got such a killer deal on the e-cad that I weant with those. No corrosion issues at all but I wash the heck out of them when I get home. You should do the same if you go in salt water.

livin4real

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What did the setup end up costing you for everything? I've been wanting to do this to my tandem.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

How heavy is your boat?
Seems like a rather small trailer for those leaf springs.

wildspeed

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How heavy is your boat?
Seems like a rather small trailer for those leaf springs.

those are the oem springs.

didn't have it on the scale yet , but over 3000lbs fueled and loaded.

IMG_3057.jpg