Qd-14 Water Flushing Plug

Jeremy1986

Seaman
hi everyone

i noticed today that my 1953 qd14 has a water flushing screw on the right side of the mid section under the power head. is there a special flusher im supposed to use with that plug.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: Qd-14 Water Flushing Plug

I have heard of people making attachments for that flush fitting, but it isn't necessary. If you want to flush your motor out, you can just run it in a barrel:cool:

JasonAych

Petty Officer 1st Class

My 53 Sea King 5 hp has the plug you are referring to. Not sure about your model but the leg on the Sea King is shared with some Johnsons. I just stuck the hose nozzle up against it and blasted away. It actually worked. My intakes must have been clogged because I wasn't pumping water. This served to backwash the system. It went from pumping no water to pumping really good. I intend to use it often :) I will eventually make up some sort of attachment as you mentioned.

JasonAych

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's also a good way to check to see if the water pump is pumping water.

When I flushed it, the motor was off. I then started it and as soon as water blasted out, I shut it down, put the plug back in, then fired it back up. Soon after that water was spitting out of the exhaust ports.