Bimini Install question

Texas Parrothead

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am going to be ordering a bimini for my 20' Chaparral. This boat has never had a bimini before so all the hardware will need to be installed. I will be getting the bimini online and then will have the local Bass Pro install it for me.

My question is how long should it take to install a Bimini? They charge by the hour and I am not sure how much this may cost.

I was thinking it should not be longer than 2 hours.

Thoughts?

riverkeg

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Bimini Install question

I would hope it wouldn't take longer than that. I think there's only 6 pieces they fix to the boat. 4 on the deck and 2 on the windshield frame. I don't have a bimini but I do have a convertible top. Minus the front straps, they attach the same way. Are you getting a 3 bow or 4 bow? Our boats are almost the same size and I was thinking of switching mine to a bimini.

riverkeg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

After looking at your avatar, it looks like you have a convertible top also. Can they use what you already have and only attach the brackets ahead of the windshield?

Texas Parrothead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I also have the convertable top.

i am looking at either a 5 or 6 ft bimini with the 3 bow.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I believe the point that riverkeg is making is that the installer should be able to use the mounting points for the Convertible and the stern strap connecting points as well. If that is the case, all that would need to be installed is two connections for the bow straps, either on the hull or on the windshield frame. In both cases, I am thinking 10 minutes . . . ;)

My typical sizing recommendation is just tall enough that you can stand at the helm with your head maybe even touching the bimini. The taller you go, the earlier in the day you will lose the shade. Plus they look better short . . .

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

I would be surprised if any professional installer would charge you less than 2 hours....pull the boat in....get set up...protect seats and carpet....check, fit, install, clean up, pull out boat.....I wouldnt be surprised if someone tried to charge you 4 hours...I wouldnt be happy about it but I could see somebody trying to justify it.

Can you get them to quote you? Also better make sure you size it right when you order it because they wont want to know jack if it doesnt fit.

Texas Parrothead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Riverkeg - Sorry we must have posted at the same time. Good point, I am hoping they can reuse any hardware already in place.

QC - Thanks for the sizing information. Makes complete sense and I will use this advise when ordering. By the way, i went to school at Cal Poly Pomona so please have an In-N-Out burger for me! sure do miss those!!

RWilson - I will ask about the quote. I would prefer to have that in my hands before I hand the boat over to them with essentially a blank check.

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Make certain that whatever attach points they have to make in the windscreen frame have the proper "inserts" to ensure when you are running it fast with the bimini up, it doesn't let go. Ask me how I know! Our new boat, 2nd time out, the poles attached to the windscreen came out, almost lost the whole thing not to mention the poles were bouncing off of me. Boat was under warranty, took it back to the dealer who said.....can't believe the factory forgot to install the correct inserts in the windscreen.....and I said....can't believe you (dealer) didn't notice it before you sold it to me! It was the only problem I had with the new boat. After the "inserts", it ain't ever coming out..........good luck and apologize for being long winded.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

well.... were it me, I'd do it myself BUT if I were gonna pay bps to do it for me I would ask them how long it will take. That way if they tell you 1 hour and then try to charge for 5 you have a point to argue. Saying "you told me..." would play alot better than "some guy on the internet said...."
I know I could do it on most boats in under an hour.

QC

Supreme Mariner

i went to school at Cal Poly Pomona so please have an In-N-Out burger for me! sure do miss those!
Isn't it amazing how a simple Cheeseburger can be so good and so specific to In-N-Out. By far the best Burger anywhere. Really is odd, simple fried patty, plain bun, melted cheese, lettuce, tomato and onion, thousand dressing, and voila you can't duplicate it :confused: I just ate and I'm hungry for one now . . . Dang you!! :D

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

This was one of my old boats but the install was about an hour at most.
Just high enough to barely stand up under.Those tops that look like they are way above your head look silly to me..
I would avoid mounting the pivot brackets to the windshield frame too.

Jackatlake004-1.jpg

Utahboatnut

I ordered one from I boats last summer and installed it myself in about 1 1/2 hours. It is on a 20' crownline bowrider so pretty similar to what you have hull wise. My boat also has a convertable top but I chose NOT to attach the bimini to the windshield frame. The forces on a bimini are way different than that of a convertable top. Would it work yes, is there a big risk of glass breakage yes, and price boat curved glass windshield pieces and you will be shocked at how much it is. As mentioned above measure very carefully before you order anything, and think about how you use the boat. I do alot of watersports with the kids, wife, etc. so having to duck under the bimini every time wasn't an option. I measured very carefully and got one that fits just below my tower covers all I need it to cover and looks good when up. You only need a tape measure, drill, sealant, couple of screwdrivers and a few hours to do it. Get a quote first if you have others install because it really isn't that involved.

Southern Appal

Seaman Apprentice

I guess I could use an explanation of the differences between the convertible top and the bimini top. I can't afford a bimini, and I might be able to get a convertible, but I need to understand what they are.

Thanks~

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

the convertible top snaps to the windsheild and is generally lower on most boats.... also more expensive than a bimini

Utahboatnut

My understanding has always been a convertable top is one that snaps onto the top of the windshield frame and comes about half way back, usually has means to zip a rear section onto as well and side windows. Alot lower and more like rain enclosure. A bimini, which is like what Gary H has pictured on the starcraft is more just protection from the sun, higher and no sides at all. A conv. top will be more expensive to buy as they are less universal than alot of biminis. However some windshields have snaps that slide so you may be abel to use a conv. that isnt specific to your boat but may work none the less, if you can get the snaps to line up right. Check I Boats on some of there biminis they have pretty good prices on some of them depending on what you are after (fabric type, size etc.)

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

I wouldnt be surprised if someone tried to charge you 4 hours...I wouldnt be happy about it but I could see somebody trying to justify it.

now you know why marine rhymes with vasoline

QC

Supreme Mariner

Fried????
I knew that would raise eyebrows . . . Yes fried in a pan as opposed to grilled, not deep fried :eek: McDonalds are fried, Burger King are flame broiled (grilled).

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I haven't been on here for a while and just happened to see this. I have almost the identical boat - 2 years older with 5.7 DP. Anyway, you mentioned you are looking at either a 5' or 6'. Mine has an 8' and my whole family LOVES it! It covers from the windshield and the rear bench. Not sure if you have the bench (sport seating) or the jumpseats. Great sun protection. FYI - my bimini is Sunbrella. If you need to know where I ordered from, I will find out. They were considerably less expensive than others. Installation time was about an 1 1/2 hours from what I recall and I went real slow to make sure I got it right - never did it before. If I have a pic with the bimini up I will post it.