Rubber "slip" hub in Lightwin prop ?

kyron4

Seaman
I have two props for my '56 Lightwin (one's a spare); the ribbed rubber hub in one is a little worn and rotted a bit and the other is in fairly good shape, tight fit. Is there a method to tightening the prop nut so it will slip if it hits something. I hit a rock last fall with the worn out one and the shear pin broke. The newer looking one has such a tight fit I can't see how it would slip before breaking the pin if the sloppy one didn't even spin. When I put the prop nut on I go hand tight then wrench to the next hole, is this correct ?Any comments or information on this subject ? -Thanks

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Rubber "slip" hub in Lightwin prop ?

I have two props for my '56 Lightwin (one's a spare); the ribbed rubber hub in one is a little worn and rotted a bit and the other is in fairly good shape, tight fit. Is there a method to tightening the prop nut so it will slip if it hits something. I hit a rock last fall with the worn out one and the shear pin broke. The newer looking one has such a tight fit I can't see how it would slip before breaking the pin if the sloppy one didn't even spin. When I put the prop nut on I go hand tight then wrench to the next hole, is this correct ?Any comments or information on this subject ? -Thanks

The shear pin did it's job. The new one should perform the same if it has to as well even if it does appear tighter.
Correct prop procedure.
Just my 2 cents though.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The prop nut has nothing to do with it except to hold the whole thing on the shaft. Snug it down and install the cotter pin.

Now, you need to understand the function of the rubber ring. Notice that it is splined into the propeller and the aluminum hub and rubber ring have rounded ribs/grooves. When you strike a solid obstruction, the soft rubber is supposed to squish enough to hop over one or more of the rounded ribs, then resume driving. For lesser impacts, the rubber simply absorbs the shock.

So.o.o., the secret is the hardness / softness of the rubber ring. Most that you see are old and hard, swollen up, rotted out, etc, etc. If they are not as new, they won't function as intended.

Next item is the shear pin. It is not a "shear" pin, it is a "drive" pin, made of 1/8" diameter x 7/8" long stainless steel. It is supposed to be hard enough to not shear before the rubber ring hops over a rib. If you use anything else, it probably will shear.

Having said all that, it is advisable to carry extra drive pins anyway. They can and do break. Space here doesn't allow me to tell my moose hunter story.

kyron4

Seaman

I got a replacement stainless pin from Evinrude, but more than one person has told me to use a brass pin to avoid damage to the drive gears or prop in the event I hit a rock. I'm told the brass will hold up well enough aginist minor hits but shear when needed and give less shock to the drive gears and prop than would the SS pin. Should I go with the factory stainless or brass ? I have spare brass pins on board already for emergencys. -Thanks

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I got a replacement stainless pin from Evinrude, but more than one person has told me to use a brass pin to avoid damage to the drive gears or prop in the event I hit a rock. I'm told the brass will hold up well enough aginist minor hits but shear when needed and give less shock to the drive gears and prop than would the SS pin. Should I go with the factory stainless or brass ? I have spare brass pins on board already for emergencys. -Thanks

Well sir, I told you how it is supposed to work. The factory had highly paid engineers to design the system. Now the choice is up to you. Perhaps those people like to change shear pins more than I do. If anybody thinks a 7/16" stainless steel drive shaft is going to twist in two before a 1/8" drive pin breaks, well........

kyron4

Seaman

Well sir, I told you how it is supposed to work. The factory had highly paid engineers to design the system. Now the choice is up to you. Perhaps those people like to change shear pins more than I do. If anybody thinks a 7/16" stainless steel drive shaft is going to twist in two before a 1/8" drive pin breaks, well........

Excellent point, the stainless pin is in now. -Thanks