Better mileage for a big block Ford

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
My father-in-law has a 1995 Ford F250 with a 7.5L (460) with 83,000 miles. He hasn't done any maintenance other than having the oil and filters changed regularly and brakes and tires when necessary. I replaced the alternator, battery and thermostat for him last summer but other than that, nothing major. He's getting around 10 mpg in town, on the highway, or towing the boat (2500 lbs). The mileage does go down to about 8 when pulling the 6,000 camper up the mountains but makes up for it coming back down hill. I can go ahead and change the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and air filter but wondering what else can be done to get at least a little better gas mileage. It runs fine and no problems, just want to see if anything can be done.

I'll go ahead and get a scanner and see if it's throwing any codes. Maybe clean the MAF sensor.

Anything else anyone can think of?

Thanks in advance

pmat1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Better mileage for a big block Ford

A scanner wont do you any good, its not obd2. Replacing the oxygen sensor(s) might help save a bit of gas.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

I was pretty sure it's not OBDII/CAN Bus but didn't they have scanners for the older vehicles?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

He's getting about as good as it gets for the 460.

My '85 F150 extra cab with the 460 got 10mpg in town and 12-13 on the hiway in perfect tune.

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

only way to do better than 10mpg and still have the power is to get a diesel.

pmat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was pretty sure it's not OBDII/CAN Bus but didn't they have scanners for the older vehicles?
Nope, you find the wire for the computer, jump the 2 wires with a paper clip, and see how many times the check engine light flashes.

ezbtr

Commander

My 90 f250 supercab with 460 got about 11-12 all around, loved that motor, purred like a kitten at 90K, got it from only owner, very well maintained.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I dont think that a 90 has a MAF sensor nor will the check engine light blink out codes thats a GM thing. You can scan the Ford computer tho, many types are available, a cheap code scanner for that starts at about $30 http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3145-Ford-Digital-Reader/dp/B000EW0KHW/ref=pd_sbs_auto_1

It is a very primitive EFI system communications wise, it doesnt store codes and if the light is not on you got nothing. Cap, rotor, plugs and wires would probably be a good place to start if it hasnt been done already.
I know the gas mileage isnt very good but probably on par with that big ole motor, a 351 or 302 in that truck would only get 12 or 14 respectively.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sorry thought it was a 90, 95 surely has a MAF. I see yours gonna do the tune up too, yea that might get ya a mpg if ya lucky.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds like there's no magic bullett. He bought the truck new and really has it tricked out. Well - pretty "tricked out" for a truck owned by a guy in his mid 70's. The big XLT Lariott package to start with, and then an full cap, big chrome bumpers front & rear, winch, and big wheels. Beautiful diamond tread full width toolbox and cab exterior lights. And yes, there IS a gun rack in the rear window. Back in the day, he went on elk huntring trips and his truck was the major equipment hauler. It really is amazing that it's in such good shape for the amount of backwoods time it's seen.

There's no reason to think that there's anything wrong with the engine or transmisson, just want to keep it that way.

MRS

Commander

That is as good as it will get you can add stuff but that is it. Sounds like a nice powerfull truck just keep it that way and keep using the same oil and filters you have been using will last a long time.....

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

First year for the PowerChoke diesel with an automatic transmissions and they built a ton of those PowerChokes. Lot of truck to move there I'm guessing 4x4 and long box so yea that's about as good as it gets. A 351 in that truck would getting 10. :redface:

JRJ

Commander

He can throw lots of money at it, but he'll never recoup the cost in gas savings. As long as it runs well and does what he wants, be happy. That Ford will never be an economy car :D

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

He can throw lots of money at it, but he'll never recoup the cost in gas savings. As long as it runs well and does what he wants, be happy. That Ford will never be an economy car :D

That's pretty much what I thought. Wasn't trying to turn it into an econobox, just trying to see if there were and "tips and tricks" that were specific to this particular beast.

He was also looking at buying a newer truck but the $30-$40k price tag really turned him off. Have to burn one heck of a lot of gas to make up the price difference against something that's paid for and is running fine!

The main thing is that I don't want him to get ripped off by someone selling something that will supposedly get the truck better mileage. It's sounding like a good tuneup might give him another 2 mpg. Can't really complain about a 20% increase. After all, it is a beast, but it does it's job well.

noizmaker

Seaman Apprentice

How about a K&N air filter? I've heard positive comments supporting the technology.

a70eliminator

Captain

Advertizing hype IMO.
They are advertized to get better as they get dirty, I never bought into it, I can buy 5 pleated filters for one k&n but some guys swear by them.