Need Advice on Used Outboard

BakerBaker

Recruit
Looking to repower an old 20' proline cc. Want to convert to tiller in a 115 or 125 hp range. Looking to go carburetor 2 stroke in late 90's thru 2000's. What make is best, yamaha, mercury, johnson. Will have to convert to tiller as well. Any advise regarding make, model, years, and tiller control would be greatly appreciated. Looking closely at the merc 125's, seem to be a good match for me, but know little about the history of this motor. Please help this poor fisherman with big water dreams.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need Advice on Used Outboard

Pretty sure I wouldn't want any parts of a tiller motor over like 30HP :eek: All the brands you mentioned are good. Gonna be a Ford/Chevy type arguement. Avoid Forces and FITCH J/E's.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I've never seen a tiller motor that big. May not be feasible. With the torque how could you hang on to it?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I think finding a tiller motor in that size will be difficult.You might consider a stick steer.A lever that can be placed almost anywhewre in the boat and takes up little space.From what little I see larger motors over 50 hp have long handles that probably don't save too much space though are of course a simpler instalation.As far as a motor Stick with the major brands;personally I prefer a 2 stroke
You might even find a used Etec at this point. Pick a motor with a well established dealer network and a well established servicing dealer close by.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

You can get a tiller for almost any size motor, 200 and 250HP Mercs are very common here, most use a jet pump on them, but some people switch back forth between a prop and jet depending how they're going to use the boat during that part of the season. I think the biggest tiller OB I've seen is a 300HP Yamaha. Open tiller boats are common in the 16 to 23' range and few go as long as 26'.

Is a tiller a good idea for this boat...hard to say without some pics.

Why is it you want to do this conversion?

BakerBaker

Recruit

I like the fine maneuverability of a tiller. Less room taken up inside. I can run a tiller in rough seas with a smaller size boat more effectively such as when throttle adjusting down a wave face or fine turning when coming out of the trouff. Big tillers are less typical, but widely used in AK, NW coast and great lakes.