help please

hi my name is Brett i dont no much about boats i am new to it i picked up a 79 mark twain for real cheap i had it out a few times last summer i love the boat it runs great but i was out one day coming back to load it up and it started hoping and losing the forword gear and there is a little water in the lowerend and the gear lube is dripping out it still goes into gear and will move a little but it does not like to it does not make any noise like grinding or anything i am just looking for a little help thank you if you can Brett

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: help please

Welcome to Iboats Brett!

It would really help you get more answers if you post what engine and drive is in the boat.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Welcome aboard Brett.

First we are going to need a bit more information, type of boat doesn't mean much. Have a read at this thread for what we need.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=220416

Second, a title that might help describe things better than "Help Please"
We already know you want help, just a quick title like OMC pops out of gear, or Mercruiser dies at idle, or Volvo won't start. See what I mean?

it has the i/o mercruiser and the 4 cylnder in it that is all i can tell you intell i can get the snow and cover off of it to find out more

Don S

Being a Mercruiser 4 cylinder narrows things down a lot.
You will need to start by pulling the outdrive and checking the bellows for water. Then drain the gear lube and pressure check the drive.
Since you can't get to it because of the snow, might just head up to the Adults only sticky at the top if this forum and locate the Mercruiser service manuals and download the free manual for your engine and drive. You want manual #1. You should be able to get a lot of the reading done while the snow is melting ;)

ok so i hooked my truck up to it and pulled it out of the snow bank so i could see what i needed to no it is warm in my garage i have the manual in my hands right now it is a 470 mercruiser

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

ok so i hooked my truck up to it and pulled it out of the snow bank so i could see what i needed to no it is warm in my garage i have the manual in my hands right now it is a 470 mercruiser

Pulled it out of a snow bank to look at it :eek:. That's dedication - gotta respect you for that !

yeah im ready for this summer i found a whole lower end for 1200 bucks so i may just go what that

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

You could have had a new outdrive with a 3 year warranty for that price

Don S

Cables don't cause oil leaks.