Boat Cover Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbuka

Cadet
First time Poster....

I have a question. I recently bought a 19 foot Sea Boss. it has a dual console and high bow rails. It is a o/b and is a great boat. I took it to the lake on MLK day and she topped out at 42...I was and am really happy. I am keeping it on the trailer and am looking for a cover.

Does anyone have any good cheap covers for a boat my size? I am not looking for a trailerable cover....just one to keep the weather/leaves out...thanks for your input.

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Boat Cover Question

They sell good covers right here on IBoats. I bought a semi custom one and am 100% pleased.

Ridemywideglide

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cheap isn't usually a word associated with anything boat related...

Look around and you may find something, a tarp, etc., that will fill the bill.. Anything you buy that's cheap, will not be waterproof, or even repelant for that matter.
I sprung for a cover from Iboats, the Endura.. $300.... 3 of the strap loops ripped the second time I used it, it's not "waterproof", even though they sell it as "most water repelant", and when I called about warranty, I got the phone dance and told I would be called back. 11 months later, I 've still not received that call.

So maybe I should have stuck with the tarp I was using. It was free, and waterproof as well. Just make sure you use some foam pipe wrap on the sharp corners. Tarps, while waterproof, will tear easily..

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I got one of those Endura covers myself...Said 5 year warranty but it dry rotted in 2 seasons....I never even called......:rolleyes:

I use the big heavy silver tarps for the winter and switch back to a regular boat cover for summer.
I have a new Sharkskin still in the box for this summer...at least i got it during the big sale for 69 bucks.

scipper77

Commander

Slight tangent, But my mooring cover sucks as the bow area snaps don't wrap around water just goes right under the cover. If you buy a tarp just make sure that you do not tear it anywhere or it will trap the moisture in and do more harm than good. If you buy an aftermarket cover that wraps around the sides of the boat you will likely be in better shape than with the factory cover.

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like a good use for a tarp. Keeps weather and leaves out, looks like hell, but it works.

bigbuka

Cadet

I am heading down to Bass Pro this afternoon to see what they have...my problem is finding a cover that will accommodate the high bow rails I have on the boat...I will try to post a picture. Sorry I can't...picture too big.

Any info on how to get a boat cover for a boat with high rails...I'd appreciate!

bigbuka

Cadet

let's see if this works...please look at my signature for the picture

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer

They make generic covers for all sorts of boats, including yours. Just do a quick search on the net.

tractoman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a cover made of Sundura fabric that was recommended by a friend who has been getting about 5 years out of his. It seems to be working well for me so far. It is worth a look on line to see what you can find.

bigbuka

Cadet

Update:

I went to Bass Pro and bought a storage cover. I went home and created some supports that run the length of the boat and put the cover over it all. I strapped it to the boat....and.....so far so good. It rained its ***** off last night and all is well...for $80 it is doing what I need it to do...thanks for the advice from everyone.

buka

joe_nj

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I bought a harbor master premium cover from Walmart. It's 300 denier vs. some others that are 150. It has a 5 year warranty. I've had it for 6 months and its working very well. Lots of straps to hold it down. Last year, I used a blue tarp and the wind beat it up badly during the Spring til it leaked. Still waiting to see how this one handles the wind - today's the first really windy day but I think it'll do well as it's a much tighter fit than I had with the tarp.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Be sure you leave your plug out; few covers are waterproof so you want the boat to drain.
If you get pools in it, try a support strap system that runs from bow to stern with a post in the middle. It's hard to prevent some pooling.
The way I look at it, the cover is there tokeep out the sun, dirt, leaves, etc. but you will still get dampness in the boat. Therefore remove stuff like life preservers so it can air out somewhat. If you get a sunny weekend in the winter let it dry out some, too.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

...cover....just one to keep the weather/leaves out...thanks for your input.

The silver "Poly Tarp" is inexpensive and with a 1x3 strapping frame to support it in the center, quite weather proof with 8 or a dozen bungee chords. Won't impress the anal picky big-spenders but will go 2 or 3 seasons and cover more of your boat than a nice cover. Of course it will look terrible if you moor at a marina, but for a trailer boat- that is what I do.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.