Stingray or Starcraft

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Stingray or Starcraft

NICE boat for a great price. Fuel injection would be sweet!

Impactg

Cadet

I'm not familiar with Starcraft, but that is one sweet boat. Very contemporary... I agree you made the right choice going with the better engine package. Enjoy!

We have carpet in our cockpit but none in our head... we try not to take a leak in the cockpit, so I think we're okay. ;)

Craigmri

Seaman Apprentice

We live in Florida so boating is a 12 month activity here around the Tampa area.

Thank you for the compliment!

Craig
I agree that is a sweet looking boat, are you in a warm zone where you can use it now ?

Craigmri

Seaman Apprentice

I almost spit my beer at the computer after reading that post! See, why do women claim they cant domesticate us men?

Craig

We have carpet in our cockpit but none in our head... we try not to take a leak in the cockpit, so I think we're okay. ;)

Huron Angler

Admiral

Congrats on the purchase, Starcraft makes a great hull, aluminum or fiberglass. You got one heckuva deal on this beaut...enjoy her:D

And welcome to the Starcraft club too:)

Craigmri

Seaman Apprentice

Funny you should say that.....Is there actually a Starcraft club or forum?

Craig

Congrats on the purchase, Starcraft makes a great hull, aluminum or fiberglass. You got one heckuva deal on this beaut...enjoy her:D

And welcome to the Starcraft club too:)

Craigmri

Seaman Apprentice

OK guys,

I pick up my new Starcraft 1800 4.3 MPI tomorrow. Two questions:

1) The dealer set up the boat with prop, battery and what not and took it to the local lake for a shake down test prior to me making a 18 hour round trip to get boat. He took the boat out by himself with a light fuel load and he said he achieved 56MPH(speedo not GPS). He said he hit 5100 RPMS and the rev limiter kicked in. He suggested that a full fuel load and multiple passangers and it will be fine. I believe the target RPM should be 4800 for the 4.3. MPI. Should I request a chang in prop from the 14.5 x 19 to maybe a 14.5 x 21?

2) On the Mercuiser 4.3 MPI, what is a normal operating tempurature I should see when running?

Craig

Bronc Rider

Petty Officer 1st Class

Beautiful boat. Congrats!
The dealer ran it wot before the 20 hour break in? The rpm's will probably be in the correct range when its loaded for a normal day of boating.
I think the temp should be in the 180 degree range. You can download the manual in the "adults only" sticky in the I/O section and verify the operating temp. Its the service manual and it will tell you everything about your drive and engine.

Craigmri

Seaman Apprentice

Bronc,

Thanks for the manual info! Got it and it'll come in hand!!!!

Craig

jkust

Rear Admiral

OK guys,

I pick up my new Starcraft 1800 4.3 MPI tomorrow. Two questions:

1) The dealer set up the boat with prop, battery and what not and took it to the local lake for a shake down test prior to me making a 18 hour round trip to get boat. He took the boat out by himself with a light fuel load and he said he achieved 56MPH(speedo not GPS). He said he hit 5100 RPMS and the rev limiter kicked in. He suggested that a full fuel load and multiple passangers and it will be fine. I believe the target RPM should be 4800 for the 4.3. MPI. Should I request a chang in prop from the 14.5 x 19 to maybe a 14.5 x 21?

2) On the Mercuiser 4.3 MPI, what is a normal operating tempurature I should see when running?

Craig

Full fuel load and multiple people and usual gear makes a huge difference with my 4.3 with a 21 pitch. I would bet dollars to doughnuts that my boat is a bit heavier and my carbed 4.3 will get over 5000rmps if it's unusually light but standard load is exactly at the max wot rpm's . It sounds to me like you should also have a 21 pitch maybe as a second prop. The fact you get 56 at all even on speedo impressive. I never did catch which model you bought.

Craigmri

Seaman Apprentice

Full fuel load and multiple people and usual gear makes a huge difference with my 4.3 with a 21 pitch. I would bet dollars to doughnuts that my boat is a bit heavier and my carbed 4.3 will get over 5000rmps if it's unusually light but standard load is exactly at the max wot rpm's . It sounds to me like you should also have a 21 pitch maybe as a second prop. The fact you get 56 at all even on speedo impressive. I never did catch which model you bought.

jkist,

I am purchasing a new(leftover) 2008 Starcraft 1800 Limited 4.3 MPI Mercruiser(220hp). I'll let you know the actual MPH via GPS in a couple of days. I agree about getting a second prop. I work with a guy who also owns a prop business and he said to bring the boat over to his place and we can sea trial Stainless props all day till I find the one I want.....Should be good times! If I can get over 55 MPH on GPS with this boat properly propped I will be delighted!

Craig

jkust

Rear Admiral

jkist,

I am purchasing a new(leftover) 2008 Starcraft 1800 Limited 4.3 MPI Mercruiser(220hp). I'll let you know the actual MPH via GPS in a couple of days. I agree about getting a second prop. I work with a guy who also owns a prop business and he said to bring the boat over to his place and we can sea trial Stainless props all day till I find the one I want.....Should be good times! If I can get over 55 MPH on GPS with this boat properly propped I will be delighted!

Craig

So it looks like your boat is well over 1000 lbs lighter than my boat which has 30 less hp. That almost seems unlikely but is what NADA denotes. The 1800 Limited is not offered any longer so I can't check the website (apparently it truly was limited). Your boat will fly like the wind if it is anywhere near that weight. My boat which is a tank for an 18 footer at almost 3000 lbs dry, with an unrealistic load of gas say only 5 gallons, standard gear and only 220 lbs of passengers will do 51.8 on gps, no faster and over rev the 21 pitch prop. A normal load of 33 gallons of gas and 4 passengers plus usual gear is constant wot of 46 mph on GPS in other words I can always hit 46mph and max rpm's no matter the conditions.

jkust

Rear Admiral

The identical boat to mine is still produced by the sister company. Its the Vectra 182.

http://www.vectraboats.com/showroom/ShowModel.aspx?ModelID=1201&SeriesID=112

Craig

Ok I knew that dry weight didn't seem right. The identical Vectra below shows the 'dry' weight as very low but the package weight way up at 2838 which would be in the premium boat range. That said 55mph must be pretty well at the top end for this boat would be my guess. Not sure what could possibly make up the difference between dry weight and package weight because an engine is not that heavy (if dry means less power plant). I suppose maybe the boat and motor are truly the dry weight and the package weight includes the trailer but again a trailer isn't over 1000 lbs either and there is no mention of a trailer so I am confused.

Length: 18' 1"
Beam: 92"
Depth:
Interior Depth: 33"
Transom Width: 82"
Transom Height:
Dry Weight: 1725
Max Persons: 8
Max Capacity: 1450
Max HP 220
Fuel Capacity 30
Bottom Gauge 0.000
Side Gauge 0.000
Rib Gauge 0.000
Max Chine Width 78"
Package Length 22' 3"
Package Weight 2838

Craigmri

Seaman Apprentice

Good pionts....I'm wondering if "Dry weight" is accounting for the 3 liter engine? Even still, the package weigt doesnt make sense. One of the two figures is off and I think the "Dry Weight" figure is wrong. I mean, the engine and outdrive alone is several hundred pounds.

Craig

jkust

Rear Admiral

Good pionts....I'm wondering if "Dry weight" is accounting for the 3 liter engine? Even still, the package weigt doesnt make sense. One of the two figures is off and I think the "Dry Weight" figure is wrong. I mean, the engine and outdrive alone is several hundred pounds.

Craig

Well the weight difference between the 3.0 and the 4.3 is minimal. I know, for example, the Bayliner website shows the weight and length with and without the trailer but they use specific language. Honestly, I can see where they shaved a few things off the Vectra/Starcraft but no way in the world could it weigh only 1725 lbs with a 3.0 especially with a 7'6" beam. Don't think I have actually heard of Vectra boats.

Craigmri

Seaman Apprentice

Been a LONG day but the new(leftover) Starcraft 1800 is in my garage at last!!

This morning I sea trial'd this thing in Lake Lanier. It was 31 degrees!!!!! Never has so much fun though! The boat is an animal with the 4.3 MPI. Probabaly overkill for an 18 foot boat but why not? With three of us and 3/4 fual load the boat gets on plane instantly. WAY too much chop to do a high speed run but the power on this boat is breathtaking. At 30MPH you punch it and the torque is remarkable! We went from 30 to 50 in seconds. I cannot belileve how quiet this boat is at speed. With our prior jet boats you had to shout to communicate. Not so on this baby. You can hear music and communicate at normal levels IN addition, our Jet boats had so much floor and swim platform bounce or deflection....This Starcraft is rock solid like a tank!.....SO FAR I'm thrilled!! More to come in a day to two.

Craig

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

This thread is worthless without pics :D

jkust

Rear Admiral

Sounds like a nice package. The 30 to 50 midrange is almost non existant with my 4.3 which is the first thing that makes me start thinking future upgrade (plus I can't hit 50 with the load you mentioned). I bet you will avoid that completely.