Want to buy a cabin boat and need advise

Impactg

Cadet
Re: Want to buy a cabin boat and need advise

I have a friend that ran a 300 Martinique for many years. I know it was a newer model (1998 I believe), but it was one fantastic boat. He traded up to a 410 Rinker and has told me many times that he often regrets letting it go. I've had more than a few beers on it and it was a fine boat. One of the earliest models I can remember with the u-shaped seating, entertainment center w/refrigerator, double helm seat layout that's so popular today.

It's down in the Chesapeake and still going strong... still looks great. The new owner had contacted me for the file of the logo I'd designed for it. He sent pics and she still shines.

mysticowner

Seaman Apprentice

FYI, I posted a video link in dockside chat under winter insanity relief, thats our 270 sundancer (10 ft on beam) with twin 260's/520hp taking off from a dead stop. These big boats need the power.
rob

That's what has me concerned about the small block. My 23' jet can blow one heck of a hole in the lake pulling 3 skiers out of the water. My boat is about 2200 lbs and 575 HP. I couldn't believe a small block would pull a 5700 lb boat out of the water efficiently, then throw in a couple people on ski's.

I'm definately going with the big block. It would be wonderful to find something with a 460 in it. I keep a spare short block built up "just in case" and that would kill two birds with one stone.

Do you have any idea which boats had a 460 in them? I know Bayliner did.

Dave

haulnazz15

Captain

You won't find anything with a 460 except the OMC stuff. The 454 will probably be the best/most common option you'll see if you don't want smaller twins.

mysticowner

Seaman Apprentice

That's a shame they went the cheap route. The 460 is a much stronger
engine. Never argue that, you'll loose.

Go to this web site:

http://www.highflowdynamics.com/

Open up: The advantages of Ford over Chevy.

Talking big blocks

haulnazz15

Captain

That's a shame they went the cheap route. The 460 is a much stronger
engine. Never argue that, you'll loose.

Go to this web site:

http://www.highflowdynamics.com/

Open up: The advantages of Ford over Chevy.

Talking big blocks

While I don't have any firsthand knowledge of the 454 vs 460 debate, I did watch HorsepowerTV episode where they built both engines up using similar performance upgrades and came out with slightly more HP on the 454, but more TQ from the 460. Either way they were both within 10 of each other or so (600HP area). I can't say that either engine is better as they both are tried and tested, but I am a Ford guy by nature. :)

eastont

Chief Petty Officer

We had (still have) a 25' Larson Delta Cruiser and it served us for many 3-5 day cruises, but we found it a bit cramped inside the cabin. Then when we bumped into a couple that had a Carver Santego we fell in love with the layout. The biggest difference is the 10' beam. The cabin layout is awsome, 6'3" height from front to back and it's wide enough that we can both be doing something in the cabin with out having to squeeze past the other.

Look at this Carver in CT. I looked at it when it was $15,000, it's now down to $9,00. It's very low hours with twin Volvo's........

http://www.connecticut-boats-for-sa...Motoryacht/Length/81453/Feet/USD/1/boats.aspx

mysticowner

Seaman Apprentice

That's a nice boat. I don't want the 4 cylinder twins though. I'm after one single big block, and a trailer.

I don't want the hassle to going to a marina and trying to fit one to the boat on the spot. It just seems like a recipe for dissaster....

So, 26 foot max length. Big Block engine. No OMC. With trailer.

mysticowner

Seaman Apprentice

What is your opinion of a 1997 Monterey 256 CR?

What do you know about the quality of the Monterey line?

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

That's a nice boat. I don't want the 4 cylinder twins though. I'm after one single big block, and a trailer.

I don't want the hassle to going to a marina and trying to fit one to the boat on the spot. It just seems like a recipe for dissaster....

So, 26 foot max length. Big Block engine. No OMC. With trailer.

The best way to know if a boats size/layout work for you, is to go look in person. A good starting point are the two boats you mentioned, the 268 Sundancer and the Bayliner 25 Ciera. Go on them, with the wife, walk around them and see what works and what doesn't.

I personally think you need to be happy with the boats layout more so than just finding a "26' big block boat".

To get an idea of what manufacturers offer, go to a good website (I use Yachtworld) and fill in your categories, size, year etc... and see what comes up. Pictures will give you a starting point, but going out and going on the boats will narrow it down.

haulnazz15

Captain

Well, seeing them in person is always a plus, but it looks like the majority of the boats in that time period feature the same layout regardless of manufacturer. Not to say that one may have a slightly bigger bed, or a bulkhead in a different spot, but the layouts are almost identical on the boat models I mentioned. Again, I wouldn't worry about absolutely finding a big block, a small block will do the same job.

Is there a reason you shy away from the twin-engines? You just like one big engine as opposed to two smaller ones? The maintenance and fuel won't be drastically different between the two I wouldn't imagine.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The maintenance and fuel won't be drastically different between the two I wouldn't imagine.

Fuel is debatable but I would think maintenance would be exactly double.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Fuel is debatable but I would think maintenance would be exactly double.

Yup, twice the oil and filters, plugs and wires ETC, but its nice to know you have backup if something happens to one engine.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Knowing the lake the OP boats on......he definitely doesn't need twins :)

mysticowner

Seaman Apprentice

Well, seeing them in person is always a plus, but it looks like the majority of the boats in that time period feature the same layout regardless of manufacturer. Not to say that one may have a slightly bigger bed, or a bulkhead in a different spot, but the layouts are almost identical on the boat models I mentioned. Again, I wouldn't worry about absolutely finding a big block, a small block will do the same job.

Is there a reason you shy away from the twin-engines? You just like one big engine as opposed to two smaller ones? The maintenance and fuel won't be drastically different between the two I wouldn't imagine.

Double the parts you double the opportunity for trouble. One engine and drive well cared for should do nicely.

I've run my 23' jet with one engine since 1977 and had to be pulled in once.
I just don't see the need to double the drives.

haulnazz15

Captain

Oh, I understand double the oil/filters. I wasn't suggesting getting twins for the "safety" of it, I suggested them because it opens up the options a bit more. I don't consider 5 qts of oil and a filter a significant expense of having another engine, but that's just me. Until it comes time to replace the bellows, the MX costs are a moot point. The twin engines just perform the function of a single big block, and you can even shut one down when just idling or docking if you don't need to do 360's in one spot.

backwater dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK--OK--OK. Theres a lot of advice being given here here--some good--some ???----so heres my 2 cents worth.

1- If your goal is to use it for a cabin--buy a 10 wide boat--in that price range you can find LOTS of good boats in that price range-I've owned a 1984 Regal 255--8' beam-26 long-260 merc-alpha drive-37 WOT-nice cruise at 3500 rpm of 28ish mph---but, my wife and I cound'nt pass each other in the cabin--to small---in 1988 I traded and bought my current boat-a 1988 Regal 280 Comm--10 wide--28 long-twin 260's-alpha drives-nice cabin-good bed ( thats a BIG deal--if Mama aint happy--aint nobody happy)--stand up head ( refer to the Mama thing)--runs WOT around 50--never go that fast--NICE cruise @ 3500 rpm of 32-33 mph. Just a world of difference that 2 feet makes.

2- A wide body of those years isnt that much more $ and in your price range--why not--you will enjoy the extra room--and dont forget resale-----good luck Steve

PS---twin motors with proper care don't cost that much more--again you said you wound'nt put many hours on it--they will last longer than you will own the boat--I've had mine 23 years--2800 hrs--still runs great--I take care of it --thats the key.

PPS--Mr 500 hp jetboater--you will be BORED with a underpowered cabin boat--buy enough HP--you can always pull the handles back a little--good luck

haulnazz15

Captain

OK--OK--OK. Theres a lot of advice being given here here--some good--some ???----so heres my 2 cents worth.

1- If your goal is to use it for a cabin--buy a 10 wide boat--in that price range you can find LOTS of good boats in that price range-I've owned a 1984 Regal 255--8' beam-26 long-260 merc-alpha drive-37 WOT-nice cruise at 3500 rpm of 28ish mph---but, my wife and I cound'nt pass each other in the cabin--to small---in 1988 I traded and bought my current boat-a 1988 Regal 280 Comm--10 wide--28 long-twin 260's-alpha drives-nice cabin-good bed ( thats a BIG deal--if Mama aint happy--aint nobody happy)--stand up head ( refer to the Mama thing)--runs WOT around 50--never go that fast--NICE cruise @ 3500 rpm of 32-33 mph. Just a world of difference that 2 feet makes.

2- A wide body of those years isnt that much more $ and in your price range--why not--you will enjoy the extra room--and dont forget resale-----good luck Steve

PS---twin motors with proper care don't cost that much more--again you said you wound'nt put many hours on it--they will last longer than you will own the boat--I've had mine 23 years--2800 hrs--still runs great--I take care of it --thats the key.

PPS--Mr 500 hp jetboater--you will be BORED with a underpowered cabin boat--buy enough HP--you can always pull the handles back a little--good luck

^ Agree with all of it. Good post.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

I want to toss my .02 on the twin motors thing...

Mine is a 27' with twin 4cyls. Power should be right around 380hp, I have the same amount of parts as a single V8, short of the intake, carb, filter and oil. There are two outdrives yes, and winterizing it is "twice" the work and money, but I think the drawbacks and rewards cancel each other out.

Also for those suggesting a 10' beam. I guess it depends on where he is trailering it. If it truly is a mile down the road, then a 9-10' beam is a huge plus. If it is a longer drive, on public roads etc... pay attention to the laws. Some states say 8 or 8'6" max width.

John_Michael

Cadet

Some states say 8 or 8'6" max width.

From what I understand, depending on the state, the max width can be extended with the right permit(s).

mysticowner

Seaman Apprentice

^ Agree with all of it. Good post.

I can't disagree with a word you've said, Thank you! You guys are really helping to point me in the right direction. If I find a nice boat with a pair of
V8's I will definately consider it.

I'm just not looking for twin engines. When the right boat shows up "ma ma" will definately be happy or it isn't the right boat.