New puppy advice

angus63

Captain
Re: New puppy advice

Good lookin lil feller ya got there Angus, going thru the same here with 'Bandit'. I've been gaining ground by using a stern 'NO' and quickly closing his mouth with my thumb & index finger and repeating the 'NO' command. And as mentioned, wearing him out playing tug-a-war has seemed to subside some of that behavior...it's tuff I know, i just keep marking it up to teething...lil bugger has more chew toys than I care to admit to buying, and he still would rather gnaw on our hands or feet.

Has he tried taking you down by hooking his paw around your leg{s} as you walk...mine does and I swear I can hear him snicker while doing it..lol

He is jet black and uses that to his advantage at night for sneak attacks!

bassman284

Commander

My buddy sent his dog off to the Monks many years ago. Dog came back able to do dishes and clean gutters!!!! Seriously a totally new dog and very obedient for a while but fell back into the old habits after being spoiled for a few months. They needed a Monk to move in fulltime : ) . Dog is about 10 yrs old now and finally okay around people.

If discipline is not maintined consistenty, pretty much any dog will backslide.

seven up

Petty Officer 1st Class

How's it goin with the little fella ??

Just had an idea that may help you out in the toy department. Maybe not.

The only toy that hasn't been destroyed in almost two years, here, is a Big B boat bumper with braided line through the middle. The thing usually hangs from the tree but this winter we brought it inside and what a time he has with it rolling around and wrestling with it. The braided dock line has been chewed and chewed and still has not come apart.

It's an idea you may have some luck with. "Big B" type, with the rope through the middle. I couldn't recommend the others with the grommets and tabs on the ends because of obvious reasons.

Enjoy

angus63

Captain

How's it goin with the little fella ??

Just had an idea that may help you out in the toy department. Maybe not.

The only toy that hasn't been destroyed in almost two years, here, is a Big B boat bumper with braided line through the middle. The thing usually hangs from the tree but this winter we brought it inside and what a time he has with it rolling around and wrestling with it. The braided dock line has been chewed and chewed and still has not come apart.

It's an idea you may have some luck with. "Big B" type, with the rope through the middle. I couldn't recommend the others with the grommets and tabs on the ends because of obvious reasons.

Enjoy

It's a work in progress. He is excellent with me, ok with the wife and daughter, but rough on my son and guests. Been helping my son show the pup dominance, and it's helping.

I like the fender idea. I have large fenders that have sat in seawater for decades and are a little gross for indoor use. May leave a few in the yard and see if he has interest.

I too have a unique toy for dogs. I teach at the US Merchant Marine Academy and have the cadets use a short length of 1-2" hawser and braid a "monkey fist" on either end. Great for fetching and he hasn't been able to tear it up yet.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

While I don't agree with using a crate, this video has a pretty good method: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cxA5CYDQZk

I stopped our dogs from light bites (never heard the term 'mouthing' before this thread) by simply saying "ouch!" and stopping to whimper for a few seconds when I was bitten anywhere I didn't want to be bitten or if the bite was more than a slight grab. You can use the method to train for any level of nibbles or none at all. The obvious key is relating in a way your dog knows instinctively.. stop playing (or ignore completely) and whimper a few times. I'd recommend not punishing, as there may be times when a heavy bite may be needed, such as a drowning rescue. You don't want your dog to shy away from saving you for fear of punishment.

The alpha/beta difference may come into play as well. If your puppy is already considering itself to be an alpha contender, you need to break him/her before training can progress. For alpha-fixing I'm partial to abandonment inside the house while I take the other dog for a walk or similar. This works out well for those heated moments, like a squirrel in the woods while off-leash, as you can just say "bye!" and the brakes go on.

For those really important lessons which you can't afford to teach more than a few times (like gnawing on your $150 sandals or chewing through the fourth network cable today.. yep, been there), I use a few drops of Tobasco on the tongue. 10-20 times of that and you don't even need it anymore. I just lift their jowls and the mere thought of Tobasco begins the bitter beer face spitting fest. Works really well as a means to avoid public punishment, as there are always those crazies who consider popping your dog under the chin equal to mass k-9 extermination.

Obviously nobody who speaks English is a dog, so all training is based on experience coupled with a sprinkling of pure opinion. Train for what you want as a result.

angus63

Captain

Update

Otis is 6.5 months old and as good a dog as you could ask for!!!:D

We just came back from the beach and viewing the Blue Angels perform.

A safe Memorial Day to all!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• Otis 5-29-10 023.jpg
    Otis 5-29-10 023.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 0

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

I love the name 'Otis'....lol

mrz333

Cadet

Labs love to bring you stuff. I would use a good sized rubber ball. Teach him to fetch it and associate the ball with play. Make sure he learns to find it first & give him a lot of praise and attention when he does. This is not a chew toy. I used nylabones for that. With my dogs it does 2 things - I use the ball with a chuck-it stick in the park or the ball alone in the pool to excercise them. They've associated the ball with play time and a time to be excited. They end up being pretty calm the rest of the time. It also became part of their 'happy time' greeting. When he starts to mouth give him the ball and then the attention. Eventually, when someone comes he wants to meet, he'll run for his ball and bring it as part of his hello. Teach him to give it up very gently in exchange for the attention he's looking for. Dogs just want to please - just show them how to.

Philip_G

Chief Petty Officer

Labs love to bring you stuff. I would use a good sized rubber ball. Teach him to fetch it and associate the ball with play. Make sure he learns to find it first & give him a lot of praise and attention when he does. This is not a chew toy. I used nylabones for that. With my dogs it does 2 things - I use the ball with a chuck-it stick in the park or the ball alone in the pool to excercise them. They've associated the ball with play time and a time to be excited. They end up being pretty calm the rest of the time. It also became part of their 'happy time' greeting. When he starts to mouth give him the ball and then the attention. Eventually, when someone comes he wants to meet, he'll run for his ball and bring it as part of his hello. Teach him to give it up very gently in exchange for the attention he's looking for. Dogs just want to please - just show them how to.

ditto, we have a vizsla and they do the same thing, every time I come home she finds the nearest toy and walks around me showing it to me. I can't have it mind you :D