First Boat with 90HP Evinrude

Shezwet

Seaman Apprentice
Hey all, I have just brought my first boat, Its a 4.7M Fi-Glass Squire, With a Evinrude 90hp VRO V4 on the back. Motor is a E90 TLCRO, Serial number 392925 - Now before I take my boat out this summer I am trying to find out what I should do to check over the motor before I take her out to the big wide ocean.
Was thinking of Cleaning the carb up?? Just with Carb cleaner? Possibly chaning the Water pump impeller, And new plugs, and while the leg is off clean out the filters!

Anything else you would recommend? Also Im trying to find some sort of process I should take to making my life easier in doing this mission! Some what possibly a service manaul online? I am all out of money after buying the boat so just trying to find somthing for free :(

Thanks and I hope to have some help.

Also I cant find the E90 TLCRO motor specs anywhere? What does the TLCRO mean? thanks!

116656971_full.jpg

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: First Boat with 90HP Evinrude

E90TLCR means it's an Evinrude, 90 horsepower, it has power Trim, Long shaft (20"), CR is for 84 as in 1984. The last letter, O, has to do with what factory run it was made in.

Anytime you get a "new to you" motor it's a good idea to do a complete service - sometimes refered to as a 100 hour service - to make sure everything is in good shape and you establish a known service history timeline. Check spark & compression (we'll assume you already did that as part of the buying process), disassemble, soak/clean the carbs & install kits, replace the plugs with new Champions, replace the deflectors & head gaskets, a new water pump kit (not just the impeller), gear oils and filters. Make sure the water seperator filter is 10 micron. I'd do a decarb too.

Once it's up & running make sure it's set up to turn 5800 with an average load. Good motor, you should get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Shezwet

Seaman Apprentice

Great Thankyou for the information. It is extremely clean looking, And the previous owner has only used the boat 8 times since 1998, And has full service history. Im just waiting to hear back when the "lot" was last done.
Thanks!

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Although Dhadley's advice is the ultimate, I say if it runs good don't mess with it. Other than clean oil and fuel maintenance issues, one could end up screwing something up, being new to it. I have/had 3 different Johnson/Evinrudes with near no issues dating back to 1970 models. I have sought out this site only because trying to bring life back to a severely abused outboard (think it was submerged). But if you are mechanically inclined, update it to the best!

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Follow Hadley's advice and as a preventative measure, I'd also pull the thermostat housing apart and put in new gaskets and thermostats. They are not real expensive, and on a flatback their replacement is not difficult.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Yes, the T-stat service is definately part of the 100 hr service or "baseline" service. Thanks emdsapmgr!

jonesg

Admiral

Adding to the "new to you" list,

make sure the battery connections are clean and very secure, no thumbscrews.

Inspect connections at solenoid for green terminals, clean if you find corrosion ( disconnect battery).

Remove prop and inspect shaft for monofilament, clean, re-lube and install prop.

Clean fuel tank, consider re-plumbing.
Compared to a car the fuel lines in a boat take a severe beating and don't last near as long.

Get the factory manual and have a good read.
It really helps to become familiar with the engine.
www.outboardbooks.com
Write down the compression numbers in the manual.

Shezwet

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for your thought everyone. I have one problem... Can someone please tell me the Manual name for the Hinge mechanism which secures the outboard to the Mount? Mine has rusted away and I need to get a new one. Hoping it is removable off the actual mount iteself!

Thanks.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Not sure just what part you are looking for, from your description. You can look it up yourself online at the Bombardier parts website: epc.brp.com. Once you get into the website, just look up your year and model. The exploded parts diagrams are great for ordering parts, or seeing how thing go together when servicing the engine.

G DANE

Commander

Examining the gear oil and doing a pressure and vacuum test on your lover unit could also save your for a later cost. Only my 2c addition.
Asked only by curiosity : Is changing head gaskets and deflectors really part of every 100 hrs service ? ( Not that I want to argue about the sensible in doing it in this instance - at all ) I have let mine run hundreds of hour without it, would be concerned to put wear on the threads in block.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Although Dhadley's advice is the ultimate, I say if it runs good don't mess with it. Other than clean oil and fuel maintenance issues, one could end up screwing something up, being new to it. I have/had 3 different Johnson/Evinrudes with near no issues dating back to 1970 models. I have sought out this site only because trying to bring life back to a severely abused outboard (think it was submerged). But if you are mechanically inclined, update it to the best!

I don't think this is the best advice for someone wanting to bring an old motor hat hasn't been run much back around....

The time he takes to get a manual, learn some good maintenance techniques and work on a few things will be time well spent...

For the OP, do a search for SeaFoam decarb, and follow it. If it doesn't work, then pull and clean the carbs. That would be the only thing I would circumvent from Dhadleys post...

Shezwet

Seaman Apprentice

Hey guys.... So... I had a problem the other day.....

Gave it a bit of a service and all, and the motor was going fine and dandy, Couple days later I brought some new spark plugs and changed them over, They were a NGK replacement for the factory spark plugs.
Took it out - She was going fine for about.... half an hour? Then started "surging" in power. Full throttle would be almost just into gear speed. So turned her off and fished where we were for a couple of hours, Then Started her up... Was a little slow at winding over, after a few seconds of cranking she picked up speed again and started winding absolutly fine and started again . So we moved to a new location... Was going fine, almost got there and power cut in half, So got the rest of the way there, shut her off and fished there for a while. Decided to use the Auxillary 5hp to get back in on. Once We got back, I pulled the plugs out, and cranked her over, Nice and fast as you would imagine with no compression, Top left plug in other 3x out Slow crankink. Bottom left in other 3x out, Slow cranking, Top right in other 3 out, Slow cranking, Bottom right in other 3x out Fast cranking.... With all plugs in she wont crank over fast enough to start the motor. Have I dont somthing wrong? Have I been given the wrong heat ranged plugs for the motor? Please help! Im worried somthing has gone pearshaped! thanks all

parrisw

Ensign

Sounds like you have a battery issue, if it wont crank with the plugs in. Check battery voltage while trying to crank the motor over, see what it drops to.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Change back to the correct Champion plugs for starters.

You need a fully charged, powerful battery to crank at the necessary 300 RPM to fire that motor when cold. The battery cables need to be near perfect and all of the connections need to be cleaned.

You should perform a compression test and a spark test and let the members here know the results.

If you don't have a full sized water separating fuel filter, you should install one. If you do have one, dump it out regularly to get rid of the water.

parrisw

Ensign

Change back to the correct Champion plugs for starters.

You need a fully charged, powerful battery to crank at the necessary 300 RPM to fire that motor when cold. The battery cables need to be near perfect and all of the connections need to be cleaned.

You should perform a compression test and a spark test and let the members here know the results.

If you don't have a full sized water sparating fuel filter, you should install one. If you do have one, dump it out regularly to get rid of the water.

What's the proper plugs? I was thinking of changing mine, it has NGK, its a 84 115, I assume it'll be the same as his 90hp.

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

Time to do a compression test. From what you describe you seem to have lost compression in the bottom right cylinder. Should not have used the NGK plugs. They run hotter than the Champions and you may just have burned a hole in your piston. Take the spark plug out of that cylinder and with small flash light take a look inside, just to see if you can see anything. Anyway, a compression test will tell you what is going on. Oh, time to recharge your battery also, perhaps.

surrender

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for your thought everyone. I have one problem... Can someone please tell me the Manual name for the Hinge mechanism which secures the outboard to the Mount? Mine has rusted away and I need to get a new one. Hoping it is removable off the actual mount iteself!

Thanks.

Just got that part for my 1996 88hp johnson. retail was $608, I found a good one on ebay for $50. Can be hard to find. Search on ebay for "evinrude midsection" or "evinrude steering control arm" i think there is a mid section on there now i think for $129 "buy it now" price. If thats what you need thats a good price. I got lucky with mine, the buy it now was $150 but no one bid so I got it for $50.

Shezwet

Seaman Apprentice

Wow good price there for the Steering arm. Mines not too abd after I wire brushed it and put some rustkill sealer on it :) Has come up alot better!

Will find out info on the plugs tonight, And Will put the battery back on charge and see if that fixes it. Would be nice if it was just a headgasket. Will also look tonight down the piston see if i can see a whole or somthign similar inside, Wondering if i could go back to the company who suggested the sparkplugs as replacements if somthing were wrong caused by too hotter plugs.
Even if it were one piston would it be worth pull the block out and apart to repair and replace where necessary? Any idea if you know what your doing, how long it would take to get the block off/out?

thanks all

Shezwet

Seaman Apprentice

Also does anyone know where I will find the Alternator unit on this motor? thanks!