My "new" 35 HP Lark...1957?? with pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander
Today I picked up a complete 35 HP Evinrude Lark. The price was right at $40. The motor was a mess...algae, rust from a 55 gal drum and sitting outside for who knows how many umpteen years. The motor would not turn over...thinking seized pistons, so I thought for the worst and saved the seller a trip to the metal recyclers since I would probably have to do it myself.

Once I got it home, I got to cleaning and scrubbing. To be honest, it started looking pretty good. The paint on the leg & LU was flaking in places but the metal didn't seem pitted at all.

After a good cleaning, I brought it in the shop to get some lube in the cylinders. I pulled the plugs...no rust but brown/black. This gave me some hope! After letting it sit for an hour with some PB, I gave the flywheel a good twist and the motor spun as free as a bird.

The prop shaft spun free too, but someone had removed the shift lever pivot pin and partially threaded a steel bolt to plug up the hole. Thus, the LU would not shift properly. I do believe the LU lacks oil too.

The powerhead looks a bit rough, but no signs of discoloration on the exhaust cover. Paint is peeling away from the primer on the head and some yellow something or other has been sprayed on the head in places....to prevent oxidation??

The flywheel and starter teeth look really good too!

Anyway, I've gotten a little excited that I may not be taking a trip to the recyclers just yet!

The serial number is 25532-23081...anyone have a year for me??

Check out the pics below. What do you think of my new find???

MAS

P1000968.jpg

P1000974.jpg

P1000969.jpg

P1000972.jpg

P1000977.jpg

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: My "new" 35 HP Lark...1957?? with pics!

Those are awesome looking motors. Yep it is a '57. That would definately make a nice restoration project. The price you got it for was good too. Keep us posted on your progress. We'll all read it with great interest.:D

Willyclay

Captain

I've seen "junkers" and that is not one. Hope the internals are salvageable. Just sent you a PM. Good luck!

soundchaser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I found a lark that was upside down frozen in a mud puddle, chiseled it out of the ice and had to wait weeks to even get the cover off. When I did it was siezed solid. with lots of oil and elbow grease, got it freed up. Now it does 33 MPH On the back of southern skimmer. Moral of this story, Yes there's Hope. ;)

coolguy147

Commander

:eek:geeze it looks like you found that thing at the bottom of the lake!

lindy46

Captain

Even has the optional generator on it. If it works, that part alone is worth more than you paid. Just saw a cowl with the front door and side emblems in good condition sell on ebay for over $500! I still can't believe that price.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Did I mention that I also got a pressure tank (albeit rough) and the remote electrical connections for the same $40?? I did not get the controls, however.

Mas

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Sa-WEET...keep us posted with pix. The 50's big twins are one of my favorites...gitter runnin.

coolguy147

Commander

my 2020 super evinrude e-tec is better.:D

first off i would replace the water pump then fill it up with gear oil. pull the flywheel and check all that junk under there. retorque. test run. if good then id fix it up real nice.

G DANE

Commander

What I think of your find ? ---- Only wish it was me !!!

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Looks very nice! I'm going to try to see if I can get mine started first, then evaluate a possible cosmetic restoration. My starter seems to be frozen up. The armature will not spin by hand or wrench. Anybody have any luck freeing one up? What's the trick?

Mas

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Good scoop. I'd of grabbed it also, even if just for parts.

Take the starter off and apart. They are usually easy to clean up and buff up and get running. I'd also remove the generator for easier access unless you really plan to use it but you'd need the regulator and wiring etc.

Once the starter is working, test the compression first. I would not sink any $$$ or effort into it until good compression is verified.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Looks very nice! I'm going to try to see if I can get mine started first, then evaluate a possible cosmetic restoration. My starter seems to be frozen up. The armature will not spin by hand or wrench. Anybody have any luck freeing one up? What's the trick?

Mas

You'll want to unhook all the linkages from the armeture, then spray the hell out of it, underneith with WD-40 and just start working it loose. It's possible that you may have a coil rusted to the magnet, under the flywheel too, so be careful and don't force anything. The best way to find this out, is if the armeture plate turns with the flywheel. If you remove the hand starter, you will see a small access hole on top of the flywheel. You'll need to remove the pawl ring and remove the thin plate that's under it and you'll be able to get visual of your coils. While you have that little plate removed, you'll be able to spray some WD-40 around the cam and where the armeture plate sets on the motor, from the top side. :cool:

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Once the starter is working, test the compression first. I would not sink any $$$ or effort into it until good compression is verified.

I would spray a bunch of WD-40 in the cylinders to loosen up the rings, so you get an acurate reading. I also found it best to lay the motor on it's back and dump some fuel mix into the carb. Slowly turn it over by hand and that will lube up the insides and get some fresh mix around the rings and bearings. I did that today on a motor I just got and it made one hell of a difference on the movement of the crank and pistons.:cool:

turtles11756

Petty Officer 1st Class

looks to be the original paint ? leave it except for maybe the bare spots

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

I had the 57 standard, or pull start model new as a high school kid. If you can, check everything over, and make it run before spending money. A replica of an outboard does not need a water pump.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

You'll want to unhook all the linkages from the armeture, then spray the hell out of it, underneith with WD-40 and just start working it loose. It's possible that you may have a coil rusted to the magnet, under the flywheel too, so be careful and don't force anything. The best way to find this out, is if the armeture plate turns with the flywheel. If you remove the hand starter, you will see a small access hole on top of the flywheel. You'll need to remove the pawl ring and remove the thin plate that's under it and you'll be able to get visual of your coils. While you have that little plate removed, you'll be able to spray some WD-40 around the cam and where the armeture plate sets on the motor, from the top side. :cool:

Sorry, I was referring to the starter armature. My ignition is free and moves rather nicely with the throttle.

Mas

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

I had the 57 standard, or pull start model new as a high school kid. If you can, check everything over, and make it run before spending money. A replica of an outboard does not need a water pump.

I think now that the motor is spinning free, my hopes for it are better. Unfortunately, I'm not very good at relationships (of the outboard gender), and I usually spend more time, money, and effort than is merited. I usually get too deep and think that it is easier and closer just to go all the way through...only to find in the end that I was never even near the middle!

I guess that is what separates the professional outboard builder and the hobbyist. I'll try to be on my best behavior on this one, however!

Mas

jbjennings

Captain

Mas,
Your motor looks complete with all the goodies! Great deal!
However, I am worried that the powerhead has had a heck of an overheat in the past judging by the peeling paint on the head (could be something else but I'm leery of it), and the screw in the lower unit is suspect as well. I'm intersted in hearing your compression numbers and if the lower unit is full of water or not. If those two things are good and you have no rust on the crank, you've got a really nice specimen.
I second the plan on testing compression and such before sinking money as I'm sure you probably planned on already. I also second the "leave the paint on" plan if you decide to paint it. It's a lot easier to stick new paint to the old paint rather than the aluminum.
This site had a restored Lark just like yours for sale and it was gorgeous, but I don't see it here now. Just some eye candy if you're interested:
http://www.smalloutboards.com/antiques.htm
BTW, I noticed he had a '58 evinrude in great condition for sale for $1500 unrestored, $2000 restored. I'm now wondering how far he goes with restoration, although I can't imagine restoring one as good as he does for just $500! It takes me MANY hours of work getting the lower unit seals done, coils, carbs., fuel lines, cleaning and prepping parts, painting, etc.
I'd NEVER do it for $500 for someone else. I'd be paying myself about 50cents an hour!:redface:
Good luck with your "new" motor:),
JBJ

Status
Not open for further replies.