need advice buying used bennington

hnicols

Recruit
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am new to boating (rented pontoons a couple of days each summer) and hate noise, what is better I/O or 4 stroke outboard -- any particular disadvantage to one or the other besides sound? Really would like something that if I am cruising I could still talk and hear others talking

have seen bennington and like them (and the few I have been on) thoughts on the brand -- others I should prefer?

if used, how do you assess price levels -- for example, saw an add for one close by, a 2002 Bennington 2575RL in good condtion FRESH WATER lake boat, Performance Package Tritoon Boat with Water Shield, has approx. 100 hours on the 220 HP Mercruiser I/O,Comes with a Dual Axle Hoosier Trailer with Surge Brakes, Full Canvas, Deluxe Console Package, Deluxe Gauge Package, 2 Pull Out Sun Beds, Center Table, and Depthfinder. Looks ok or better for a 2002 but has the world changed a lot since 2002 and is a price of around 21k or so high low or about right given age, grade and trailor etc?

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: need advice buying used bennington

That sounds liek a pretty good proice for that boat, price a new one and you will see what a deal that really is.

That boat new would be 45K+ and it is a Bennington, 100 hours on a motor is nothing, barely broken in.

The maintanence on an I/O is a bit more I think but it would certainly meet your noise requirement.

I actually work for Bennington, getting ready to go in right now as a matter of fact,I ahve taken out company boats and the I/os are really quite, more so than a 4 stroke outboard even, I think you would be very happy with that boat and as I said that sounds like a pretty decnt price.

Other than options and stuff nothing has really changed since 2002 and the Rl was a top line boat anyhow so you would still be pretty currant with that boat.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer

Our 24' Landau w/ 90 HP Force has a sundeck over the engine. I have to watch the tach to be sure it has started. I'm sure w/o the sundeck it would be a lot louder. Just something to think about.
Mike

hnicols

Recruit

helpful -- thanks so much for the guidance

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I am not a fan of I/O's in pontoons but if low noise is high on your criteria list, then the I/O is the only way to go.

Bearfan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just bought at 2008 Bennington 2277 Rfsi Tri-tube with a 500 hour 200hp Yamaha for $25k and it was a lot better deal than anyone else was giving for the 2008. Due to the sundeck as mentioned before, I can barely hear the outboard when I start it.

After a lot of shopping, the Benningtons are a lot nicer than most.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a 115 4-stroke and the aft half of my boat is permanently enclosed. I can not hear the motor at idle but it sure is noisy at cruising speeds. Not so much exhaust noise but all of the low frequency harmonics and vibrations. My previous 115 2-stroke was a quieter motor at cruising speeds.

Caketoo

Cadet

hnicols, please let me know how you fare with the Bennigton tritoon. I am trying to buy up from my 87 17'Fourwinns w 205hp, to a Bennington tritoon w/ the bigggest O/B I can legally purchase for around 15-20k otd (out the door). Not to concerned about noise because I'm tired of struggling w/ my I/O with small task like plugs, belts and oil. Thanks