is this estimate reasonable?

hoverman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i just got a quote for 1200.00 + tax to replace all the bellows on my alpha 1 gen 2 and the price includes installing my trim sender kit and using all oem parts. the break down is as follows:

250.00 oem parts bellows etc (they supplied)
740.00 labor for bellows installation
210.00 for installation of my sender kit while they are in there (i supply)

total 1200.00 +tax is this a reasonable estimate?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: is this estimate reasonable?

Was it a QUOTE, or an ESTIMATE? Big difference.
Usually an estimate is a "Not to excede" amount, while a quote is "This is the price"
It's about a typical estimate if they charge $105 per hour, it's high if they charge $50 per hour.
Has the boat ever been in salt water? Since we can't see the condition, or the access of things, that makes it even worse to answer your question.

haulnazz15

Captain

$250 for the bellows kit is a bit crazy, too. I'd say find a new shop.

hoverman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

nope no saltwater its a lake mead boat ...the stern drive is in great shape i recently took it off (october 2009) and put a new impeller in it and new fluid and gaskets,orings etc...sterndrive came off real easy and went on just as easy didnt have to use a board and a kick like i have read on here..lol....i also installed new u joints while i had it off...new gaskets etc.. checked the gimbal bearing it was smooth .. this was a quote.... i wanted to replace my trim senders due to rotted wiring but figure if it all has to come off why not redo it all ...but my money tree died quite a few years ago...lol im local here in souther california san diego area....

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Are they doing bellows only or replacing the gimbal bearing and all?
I would ask what the hourly rate is anyway.

hoverman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

just the bellows shift bellows,exhaust etc...etc

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

sounds like its on the high side to me but who knows what they charge hourly.
Shops in my area are 90 an hour and up.

Don S

$250 for the bellows kit is a bit crazy, too. I'd say find a new shop.

Funny, that price is inline with the suggested retail price from Merc. Like he said, he is getting OEM parts. Not cheap aftermarket.

hoverman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thats one thing i made sure of was oem parts...the aftermarket parts dont seem to last as long...

haulnazz15

Captain

On the bellows I don't think it matters that much, especially for the shift/exhaust tube (if you switch to an exhaust tube instead of the bellows). Mercstuff lists all three bellows pieces (GLM, not OEM) for a grand total of $110 or so. Even if the GLM stuff doesn't last "as long" as the OE stuff, you can replace it twice before you equal the price of the OE stuff.

Just my .02. I agree on engine parts/outdrive parts, but with bellows I think the aftermarket stuff is of equal quality.

If you already pulled the outdrive yourself and did the impeller, the bellows would be a cakewalk for you to do yourself. Would save you about $1K on the price of that quote even with OEM parts!

Don S

Just my .02. I agree on engine parts/outdrive parts, but with bellows I think the aftermarket stuff is of equal quality.

Then you should just keep believing that the rubber parts are the same, because they are so different it's scarry. How many bellows do you change a year, and how often have you used OEM as compared to aftermarket. I've had aftermarket bellows fall apart in 6 months.

Lodgepole

Petty Officer 1st Class

Then you should just keep believing that the rubber parts are the same, because they are so different it's scarry. How many bellows do you change a year, and how often have you used OEM as compared to aftermarket. I've had aftermarket bellows fall apart in 6 months.

If you have been into the thing like you say, why not do it yourself. The big bucks saved for labor will buy a lot of gas.

TilliamWe

Banned

If you have been into the thing like you say, why not do it yourself. The big bucks saved for labor will buy a lot of gas.

Hover, I agree. Sounds like you can turn a wrench. You should be able to do all the work you describe, yourself.

hoverman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i dont have all the special tools and i learned a long time ago having the right tools for the job makes all the difference in the world. it seems there are a lot of specail tools needed to do the job and buying the tools in my opinion is not a wise investment for somehting you may do only every 5 years or so.

TilliamWe

Banned

Uumm, I don't think the term "a lot of special tools are required" is completely accurate.

But hey, if you want to spend $1200 instead of $250, go right ahead.

Don S

The only "Special Tool" you need to do the job is a bellows expansion tool (about 30 bucks) for the exhaust bellows, and that is if you use the bellows and not the tube as most people do.
There is all kinds of Merc info up in the Adults Only sticky at the top of this forum along with links to the OEM service manuals.
DIYers can do this job, may take the whole weekend if you take your time and don't get flustered, but it's possible and there are people here all weekend to help.
Think about it. is 1 weekend's worth of part time work worth 1200 bucks to you?

hoverman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yup a weekend is worth 1200.00 bucks to me ...would love to save the money...been a shade tree mechanic all my life...so i only need 1 special tool you say? can you give me the name or part number of the tool? and the best place to buy oem parts? i think i will give this a go on my next 3 day weekend.....

what is this tube you mention don that replaces the exhaust bellow? and which is better??? and which last longer?

TilliamWe

Banned

There is such a thing as an exhaust tube, it is not a bellows and it does not attach to the outdrive. It lasts MUCH longer as it never moves! It "may" make your boat seem a little louder, but I doubt you would ever really notice it. I only ever noticed mine, when at planing speeds, I would trim up, and at a certain point the exhaust note "changed", as the drive came away from the tube, and that happened to be the perfect trim angle for me.

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

for ease of installation the tube is the way to go. Also, you have to remove the bellhousing from the gimbal ring, there is a "special tool" for the nuts but all it is, is a 1/2 allen wrench. If your bellows have gone bad you should check you gimbal bearing too and do that while you are in there. All in all this will cost about 250 in parts and could take an afternoon if it goes smooth.

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you do this yourself please be sure to take many pics for the rest of us.