battery storage

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: battery storage

If you leave a fully charged, properly filled, and disconnected battery in your boat all winter, it should be able to start the boat in the spring. If not, then it needs replaced. The cold only hurts them if they are discharged, then the freeze and break.

I second that statement. Do the exact same myself. Better to find battery issues at home on the muffs than miles out on the lake.

scipper77

Commander

I have a Shumacker Smart charger.It is digital readout and stops charging when the battery reaches 100%
I use it on the 2 amp setting and usually just a couple hours tops the battery off.
It will also tell you if the battery is bad.
Walmart used to sell them.

I have the same(or similar) charger. I opt to use the quick charge mode which tops off in like 5-10 mins and then leave it on the charger for a few hours. I figure that when the charger goes into float/trickle/maintenance charge mode it takes care of the little bit of charge advantage that the slow 2 amp rate has.

The reason I do it this way is because my chargers 2 amp rate assumes a small battery and sometimes thinks I have a bad battery and then shuts off before charging completes.

sewerrat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

YEP, Fully charged and cleaned. I don't even disconnect them. If it doesn't hold a charge, it goes. Better to find out early. Usually get three years....tractor, truck, boat......doesn't seem to matter. However, cleanliness can NOT be overemphasized:)

Ditto. Leave em in the boat where they were meant to be :)

NYBo

Admiral

No kidding? I've heard to not do that all my life. If y'all don't mind:

1) Why was it an issue to begin with?
2) Why is it no longer an issue?

thanks...
Back when battery cases were made from rubber, it was an issue. Not sure exactly why, though. Cases are now made from plastic and there is apparently no issue with the case being conductive enough for it to matter.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

the cases were actually once made of wood and asphault....
Also the only way to electrically discharge a battery would be for electrons to travel from one terminal to the other..... the only ground that affects the positive terminal of the battery is the negative terminal..... earth ground would only matter if a battery terminal was connected to it

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Flooded Lead Acid Battery Storage

Trojan: Periods of inactivity can be extremely harmful to lead acid batteries. When placing a battery into storage, follow the recommendations below to insure that the battery remains healthy and ready for use.

NOTE: Storing, charging or operating batteries on concrete is perfectly OK. The most important things to avoid:
Freezing. Avoid locations where freezing temperature is expected. Keeping battery at a high state of charge will also prevent freezing. Freezing results in irreparable damage to battery's plates and container. [Freezing can happen between -19 F (40% charge) and -98 F (fully charged)]

Heat. Avoid direct exposure to heat sources, such as radiators or space heaters. Temperatures above 80? F accelerate the battery's self-discharge characteristics.
Step by step storage procedure: 1. Completely charge the battery before storing. 2. Store the battery in a cool, dry location, protected from the elements. 3. During storage, monitor the specific gravity (flooded) or voltage. Batteries in storage should be given a boost charge when they show a 70% charge or less. Completely charge the battery before re-activating.
For optimum performance, equalize the batteries (flooded) before putting them back into service. Refer to the Equalizing section for this procedure.

Continental Battery Storage:
Q: Will a battery rapidly self discharge if placed on concrete?
A: No, placing a battery on concrete will not cause it to discharge any faster than any other surface.
Q: Can I store a battery indefinitely?
A: No, a battery will self-discharge slowly over time. Allowing a battery to sit in a discharged state will ultimately lead to severe positive grid corrosion and battery failure. An unused battery should never be allowed to sit over 6 months without a recharge.
source here

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Placing a battery on concrete is more likely to damage the concrete than the battery. If the battery has leakage of acid do to over charging or spillage the concrete will be eaten by the acid.