Making a mistake?

leer94

Seaman Apprentice
at the end of the year last year I screwed up and busted the skeg off my motor.
( 1983 Josnson 150GT). It is busted off right along the bell ot the LU, I am told there is not enough left to weld a replacement.
I was planning on just buying a LU housing and swapping the guts.

So long as I replace all the seals and sensitive stuff....will that be okay?
Or should just bite the bullet and buy a reman?

psteurer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Making a mistake?

I believe that a new skeg can be welded on even if it broken right up to the bell. Depending upon where the break is, you may have to remove all the interior parts of the lower unit to avoid heat damage. If there are none local, there are companies you can mail your lower unit to. Here is one I found just browsing Google: http://www.nettleprops.com/store/c/71-SKEG-REPAIR.aspx
I would recommend doing a more complete Internet search and then contacting a company you feel comfortable with.

leer94

Seaman Apprentice

I will pop off some pictures to the place you posted...and some others. Maybe someone else can fix it, but the local guys said that there is not enough skeg left to have any surface area to prep for welding and welding right onto the bell risks deforming the bell...could be they were just trying to sell me a LU though LOL!

Islandbrah

Petty Officer 3rd Class

there are also replacement bolt/slip over skegs. if there is no tab left then the welding heat could warp the bell and affect clearance of the internals. If a slip on is not feasable then look for a blown motor like yours and swap the lower parts

psteurer

Petty Officer 1st Class

From what I understand, this is not a repair for the average prop shop. It needs to be done by a company that has experience in skeg repairs. The process will likely involve building up the area under the bell and then welding a skeg to that.

Islandbrah

Petty Officer 3rd Class

sounds pricey. look for a parts motor and rob the foot or look into the slip ons.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Leer, Some years ago I broke off the skeg on my Merc. I purchased a replacement skeg from Merc ($15), and took it to a local welder. The welder does have lots of experience with marine applications. He sawed the remains of the old skeg off to provide a smooth surface to weld to, and then welded it on. I didn't even drain the gearoil. it worked perfectly, and no seals or castings were harmed.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Do you realize how much force it took to break that skeg off clear up to the gear housing. I would not trust those gears' without having them magna-fluxed before puttinhg them back to use. What does the prop shaft shaft look like, or the engine pivot shaft? Had that impact point been a couple inchs' higher, it would have probably taken the whole gearcase off.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

In the 35 years I've carried my welding certifications, I've never run into anything that was beyond repair. Even done a couple of historical restorations (18th century iron castings) for the State that others told them where beyond repair.

No need to remove anything from the lower unit. Aluminum is a very good conductor of heat. The LU casting is so large and the aluminum is so heat conductive, that the problem is getting enough heat to the weld zone to weld them properly let alone warp the casting unless you don't have a clue as to what you are doing.

Having said that, impossible to repair is one thing. Is the repair cost effective is another that only you can answer.

You can't beleive the number of people who call wanting to know if I could weld aluminum lawn chairs. I've not repaired one yet. ;)

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

How fast was that 18th century casting moving, and what was the tolerance? take any mechanical device, drive it into a solid obstruction at 30-40 MPH. Most cars' are considered junk at 15 MPH.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Re-creating the skeg will be no problem for a good machine shop. No need to take the gearcase apart, if you weld on an empty case it may distort to the point it won't go back together correctly.

We just welded a skeg back on a bravo drive that broke off much like you describe. Sort of surprising the shaft wasn't bent at all. The prop was destroyed. Yes, a ss Mirage II prop destroyed and a skeg sheared off with no damage to the gears.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

totally agree with dehadley,here in the fl.keys just about every boater broke a skeg,I know every welding shop in the keys has vast experence welding complete skegs ,just a note,my welder says ,keep the gearcase full with oil ,it helps disapate the heat,and he ,i believe ,welds in segments to prevent frying seals,/i worked in an outboard shop and had many done,no problem,go to a good welding shop,the skeg can be cut from alum stock

Kleverrr1

Seaman Apprentice

I was just looking for a replacement skeg just last week and found lost of the on eBay for about $20-$30. Maybe you can find a good deal on there..

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

That gearcase is cast aluminum, or metal if you wish. It can, and will bend. I once took a 125 Johnson right off the transom, and never scratched the paint. But it was bent from top to bottom. That was done against a probably a 8" floating log. Not as good as a good solid rock,but it got the job done.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

I was just looking for a replacement skeg just last week and found lost of the on eBay for about $20-$30. Maybe you can find a good deal on there..

The metal is the easy part, welding is the hard part. Anyone doing the welding should be able to make a skeg if he has the metal.