yamaha s150 oil buzzer- FIXED!

shoalwater22

Recruit
Im getting a continuous buzzer and my digital gauge shows 0 oil level, and the upper reservoir is low. When I press the emergency oil switch on the motor the pump sends oil into the engine oil reservoir as it should, but the buzzer doesnt stop. Im thinking its the oil level switch on the engine mounted reservoir. Is there any way I can test it?

Islandbrah

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: yamaha s150 oil buzzer

There are more than one causes for the buzzer. the sensor in the motor tank could be bad. but not necessarily. I have had this issue with every yamaha I have installed. sometimes it's the trim indicator switch not adjusted properly, the motor will not refill the tank if it thinks the motor is tilted. There is a test on the sensor you could try with an ohm meter and some knowledge. I have never had to replace a sensor tho. My current 1ut most of the time it corrects itself. a good way to tell if it is all working is to empty the engine tank. fill the main tank keep cowling off and turn key to on position. with the motor trimmed down the tank should refill in about 120 seconds or something like that. It is a brain racking thing I know, been on the flats and started buzzing a few times. The motor will also go into a limp mode and max rpms will reach about 2200 only, a fail safe to keep you from blowing the motor. BTW the sensors are not cheap. The trim sensor has been the culprit 3x so far. I'd try disconnecting all wires and cleaning the contact points too.

shoalwater22

Recruit

The red indicator is not flashing, the yellow on in the middle is. The tank is full though. My trim indicator is working properly on the digital gauge.

Islandbrah

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If your on motor tank (the main) is full past the upper line and you are still showing yellow fill indicator then the sensor isn't reading the proper level. are you sure it isnt a temp warning signal? I would drain the main trim the motor to operating height turn the key on and see if it reads empty and auto refills. Look through the oil sensor threads there is an explanation of how to ohm test your sensor. I removed my sensor unplugged it cut power to motor, cleaned the sensor with elec. parts cleaner, slid the float agressively up and down for a bout 15 sec, left it out of the tank hanging in the empty position, connected the power back up and turned the key, continued to dilly around and the next thing i knew i got an oil bath. you can also manipulate the slide with the power on to see where the "buzzer threshold" is. Of all the yammie owners I have met most have experienced this a time or two. you'd think yamaha would fix this dorky system

shoalwater22

Recruit

I drained the tank and turned the key to on, the buzzer still comes on but now it flashes red instead of yellow. In the owners manual it says the remote tank is empty if the yellow light is on, but that is full too. wtf:mad: This one is beating me up.

shoalwater22

Recruit

Note: When I drained my engine oil tank and turned the key to the on position, the remote tank did not fill the engine tank. It only fills when I press the emergency lever on the motor.

cousinabe

Senior Chief Petty Officer

bad float switch or faulty harness.

Islandbrah

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would be leaning toward bad float switch. when you manually slide the float up and down with the key on does the buzzer stop and go back on? the ohm test is the only way to be sure unless you have access to another one before purchasing i'd try a swap but that float is not cheap

shoalwater22

Recruit
Re: yamaha s150 oil buzzer- FIXED!

As Island suggested, I removed the float sensor from the remote tank and flipped it upside down to move the float to the highest position and the buzzer did not stop.

I checked the wiring harness for corrosion or loose connections but I was focussing on the digital guage and the float sensor. As it turns out, the buzzer itself was shorting out or grounding out, whichever the case was. I wiggled the buzzer around and the noise stopped. I ran up to my nearest lake and after a few minutes the buzzer went off again. I reached under the console and wiggled the connections again, and the buzzer stopped.

Such an easy fix (i have cleaned all connections and replaced a couple butt connectors) but a hard problem to diag in my opinion.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

Islandbrah

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It is a pain for sure. Still make sure the tank is refilling. Good Luck.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

ok
lets clear up some mis information on the V6 yamaha oiling.
the trim sender is ONLY used on the 1990 to 1995 2.6L V6. only.
the 3.1Lv motors ALWAYS used a pulser coil signal and automatic oil transfer will ONLY occur if the flywheel is turning. the 2.6LV6 from 1996 and up use the same signal to transfer and NOT the trim sender.
V4 from about 2004 and up do the same as the 2.6 and 3.1 motors.
the remote tank switch,also known in the manual as SWB, is closed(float up) when the tank is over about 30% full and will give a green indicate on the tach.
when SWB is open(float down) it means either a wire broke or the remote tank is less than about 30% and the yellow lamp is lit(center bar or arrow) and automatic transfer is prohibited.
there is now enough oil in the remote tank for two manual transfers.
now for the engine tank switchs.
when the float is all the way up SW1 is closed sending a transfer pump OFF command to the ecu.
float about midpoint and SW2 closes sending the ECU a transfer pump ON command.
this on off cycle continues for the life of the engine under normal conditions.
in the event of a malfunction,or oil system initilization after maint, the SW3 (lowest) switch closes the ECU is comanded to set the alarm,(gray wire to the harness pink grounded)commands the ECU to set RPM limits to about 2000 RPM max.

sets the DES switch in the case of twins to limit the second engine as well.
commands the ECU to try transfering again in case SW2 has failed, and sets the command,grounds the green red wire,to illuminate red or far left bar or arrow.
in the event of system maint,or system initilize you have oil in the remote and none in the engine tank.
at key on all the bars,arrows or lights will illuminate and transfer is commanded for 180 seconds and will continue until either the 180 seconds times out or the SW1 switch closes.
in the event of a resrition,either the remote tank oil filter or the hose is pinched,the normal scene is the boat will run normally for a few miles,alarm and fall on its face.
this is because the oil can be consumed by the engine at speed faster than it can transfer.
however because SWB is closed and SW3 is closed oil is trying to transfer and at low speed SW3 opens,alarm quits in a few seconds and all seems normal until a mile or two later the same thing happens.
NEVER NEVER EVER pull out the switch and filter screen from the engine tank unless the engine tank has been FULLY drained first.
just dont do it or you CAN destroy a power head.
the above poster did not fix an alarm issue.
trust me.
there is nothing to short on that alarm.
at key on the alarm yellow wire has 12V applied.
the ground is supplied,when commanded, by the ECU or a temp switch,via the pink wire in the 10 pin main harness.
a quick test on the v4 and v6 alarms is to pull the stop lanyard and crank the motor.
if the horn sounds while cranking all is good, if it does not then test the alarm and circuits for faults.
there is a lot of mis conception and downright lack of knowledge even among yamaha techs.
in fact on the master tech exam its one of the most missed 20 question section.
the remote tank NEVER EVER controls the alarm.
it simply alerts the operator as to oil level remaining.
and remember NEVER NEVER EVER remove the engine switch assy unless the engine tank has been FULLY drained.
NEVER EVER reuse that 40 cent seal between the engine tank screen and the tank.
ALWAYS retrieve that seal if the screen is removed.
what most likly happened is the remote oil tank filter is clogging and once off plane with the key still on the engine tank was refilling while the wiring was being messed with and the alarm tone quit,then at throttle up it ran a few miles and the process was repeated.

Islandbrah

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well the buzzing stopped and the tank is refilling. I'd call that fixed. I agree regarding the short (or impossibility there to) in a buzzer.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

it not fixed at all.
its trying to work but unless the cause is found and corrected at best its gonna do it again,at worst SW3 may fail and give NO warning as to the engine having oil,or not.
roll the dice,pray for 7 or 11 but watch out for the snake eyes.
your choice.
do the maint.
do the cheap repairs.
replace a powerhead.

cousinabe

Senior Chief Petty Officer

swb, faulty harness or clogged remote tank filter/line.
i had it happen to me along with sw3 failing and paid $$$$ to get a new powerhead/parts/labor.

perform the 180s transfer test described below and make sure all is working correctly.