Ice claws

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Did not want to step onto thread about the young boys loss with this, but I live on a river that freezes and thaws and can be dangerous at times.

We were ice skating out there a few weeks ago, and 3 days later the ice broke out. It has since frozen over again, and skated on it this weekend.

I drill, check thickness , and am very careful about monitoring the ice as it can change dramatically in a short period of time.

I made several sets of ice claws just in time for ice over, and rarely go out without them. My young daughter got trained on how to use them , and her neighborhood friends (and their parents) are getting their sets tonight.

Check this video out - man, this guy is gonna be cold :eek:

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/ice/claws.html

INJUN

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Ice claws

If I EVER go out on a frozen anthing, I'll have those with me.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Interesting. I fell through as a teenager once with ice skates on. Had a heck of a time getting out of the water, since you can't exactly swim well with skates bolted on. I can pretty much guarantee if these were in my pocket and I tried to get to them, I would have drown. No way you can stop paddling, stay afloat and dig in your pockets with wet gloves on, underwater, and stay limber enough to swim back up, lift yourself to solid ice and jamb these into the ice enough to lift yourself out. If you carry these, I'd recommend you wear it on the outside of your clothes or at least have one end outside you clothes. I was in the water for all of 30 seconds and my legs went numb shortly after leaving the water. I think a friend pulling you out using a rope would be more effective. I was never one to ice skate alone.

Please no lectures on skating ice thickness. I fell through while rescuing my dog who had fallen through. I knew the risks.

HANGEYE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I do alot of ice fishing, early ice to late ice and I WILL NOT step one foot on the ice without my ice claws. My Grandfather made me a set back in the 50s and I still have them and take them with me everytime. I have since made them for my kids and my grandkids. These things are like MasterCard to me...I WILL NOT LEAVE HOME WITHOUT THEM. Ours have a string that goes through the sleeves of the coat and hang right by your hands at all times. Sure they get in the way a little, but well worth the trouble.

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I can pretty much guarantee if these were in my pocket and I tried to get to them, I would have drown. No way you can stop paddling, stay afloat and dig in your pockets with wet gloves on, underwater, and stay limber enough to swim back up, lift yourself to solid ice and jamb these into the ice enough to lift yourself out. If you carry these, I'd recommend you wear it on the outside of your clothes or at least have one end outside you clothes.
Yes it is recommended to be worn outside the clothes.
I think a friend pulling you out using a rope would be more effective. I was never one to ice skate alone.
Sure, if they can get to you in time thats great, but on a river there is a current pulling you downstream a bit.So maybe buying a little time with these.
I also keep a canoe handy to push out on the ice, as well as a throwable bouyant device with some rope , and some more rope in a coil.

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

Getting out wasn't the problem when I went thru, finding the hole where I went thru was:eek: Seriously

paulspaddle

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Getting out wasn't the problem when I went thru, finding the hole where I went thru was:eek: Seriously

Are you serious! That's a nightmare!

Thanks for bringing this up. I going to make some for spring. I go out on the ice every year with ski poles at the cabin. Of course you could say, "don't", but I do.

I thought it was interesting what a local comercial fisherman told me about ice and spring melt 'in our area'. During the melt as a rule those guys will go out on the sleds and bombardier's as long as there is water on the ice. Sometimes he claims it will get quite deep, but when the water is gone....get off the ice.

Moody Blue

Captain

Standard equipment when I venture out on the hard water. Gives you a fighting chance if you go though. There is no such thing as safe ice so I do what I can to reduce the risks.

Early season I carry an ice spud to check ice thickness as I go. Not uncommon to go from 4" to 1" of ice in a few yards.

Moody Blue

Captain

I thought it was interesting what a local comercial fisherman told me about ice and spring melt 'in our area'. During the melt as a rule those guys will go out on the sleds and bombardier's as long as there is water on the ice. Sometimes he claims it will get quite deep, but when the water is gone....get off the ice.

What you are describing is called honeycombing. The ice structure changes to a honeycomb like looking structure and becomes porous and VERY fragile. Water resting on the ice surface then drains through. Even though there may be 12-18 inches of ice it is very unstable and weak.

paulspaddle

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What you are describing is called honeycombing. The ice structure changes to a honeycomb like looking structure and becomes porous and VERY fragile. Water resting on the ice surface then drains through. Even though there may be 12-18 inches of ice it is very unstable and weak.

Thanks for the added info on that.

cgd7777777

Petty Officer 1st Class

i would have to have a check with lots of zeros to fall in the water on purpose like in the video!!!
Thats a great idea hopefully it will save lots of lives
i've never been on a frozen lake but if i do i WILL have those

mphy98

Lieutenant

As a diver we learned that if you need to surface under ice you go for the dark spot. That is open water, the light is all ice. It is opposite of what you think.