Chris Craft or Regal?

stnick

Seaman Apprentice
I would like your opinion on the 1989 Regal Commodore 280 and the 1988 Chris Craft Amerosport 284.
The Regal books out (NADA) significantly higher than the Chris Craft. I'm familiar with the CC name but not the Regal. The significant differences in the two are:

Regal has Twin 350's (don't know hours )Chris C has twin 305's with 1017 hours
Regal has 2002 tri-axle trailer with 6 wheel disc brakes.
Regal has 4kw generator that needs starter and carb rebuild???Chris C no generator.
Regal is heated and cooled, CC has AC only.
Regal needs bimini top and poles to complete camper ( $1700) CC has complete camper set.
Regal has stern door way to swim platform, important to wife! Easy access.
Regal has engine synchronizer- CC may have but not mentioned by seller.
CC has windlass and I love that... remote from helm.
Both have remote spotlights that do not work!
CC is in better cosmetic condition. Looks very good. CC is an 8 and Regal is a 6.5 on a 10 scale of appearance. There's some broken hinges and snaps on the Regal, also the radar bridge looks rough... Finish is not as slick.
The CC has a Raytheon R9L radar, I researched and it appears to be a 1995 model black and white.One just sold on Ebay for $700
So, with that info, which way would you go and why?
I know it isn't easy, or maybe it will be, either way I appreciate your opinion.

Nick

backwater dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Chris Craft or Regal?

I have a 1988 Regal Comm very close to what you are looking at--I bought mine new and have no thoughts of selling it-----it's been a great boat and with a little TLC that one can shine again------350's are way better than 305's---that all by itself would make up my mind---also---why do you think the Regal has a bigger book value----it's prob a better boat---good luck--Steve

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I would lean toward the regal but you neglected to mention the prices... also no trailer with the cc?

jollymon

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a Regal COmmodore 277XL which is pretty much the same boat minus the radar arch and transom door. I wish I had both. Regal makes an outstanding boat. I would go with the regal with out any hesitation. They build rock solid boats.

You will not regret having the extra power of the 350's.

As for the Generator, you can get it fixed, a lot cheaper then adding one to the CC, but it depends on if you need a Genny.

Windlass can be added fairly easily if you need it, as can the rest of the canvas work.

Good Luck keep us posted.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, if you want AC off of the dock then you gotta have the genny . . . Regal name and quality is strong, no issue there. Elbow grease is elbow grease. 350's before 305s. Drives and their condition? Very important piece of the puzzle . . . ;)

scipper77

Commander

Chris Crafts of that era are not the ones that the chris craft reputation was built on. I'm speaking in general however and not specifically about the boat you are considering.

erie_guy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nick,

I own a 1997 chris and love it, but I too would suggest you go with the Regal - sight unseen. The stern drives used by Chris Craft during that period were problematic. In '96, they went with the Volvo SX drives that are pretty much bullet proof (I have a couple of them). The OMC drives before '96 will be difficult to find service and parts are an issue.

Make sure you get a professional survey for possible stringer or transom problems with these older boats. Lots of luck and enjoy your new boat.

erie_guy
Port Clinton, OH

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Chris Crafts of that era are not the ones that the chris craft reputation was built on. I'm speaking in general however and not specifically about the boat you are considering.

Agree with that too...
I have compared my hull to some newer CC boats and mine was hand laid fiberglass instead of the chopped stuff.
Not the CC is a cheap boat but the older hulls were much thicker and looked better made.
Not sure if there is a big difference from mine made in 1981 to the later 88 or so models.
I have worked on a few Regal boats and they appeared to be a well made rig.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

The stern drives used by Chris Craft during that period were problematic. In '96, they went with the Volvo SX drives that are pretty much bullet proof (I have a couple of them). The OMC drives before '96 will be difficult to find service and parts are an issue.

OMC bought Chris-Craft in 1989. If this boat were a 1989 or newer I would agree that it likely has OMC Cobra Stern Drives. As a 1988, I don't think we can jump to any conclusions about the drive on the boat. In fact it may be possible that the 284 Amerosport was offered with straight or v-drive inboards if I'm not mistaken. I'll check an old brochure I have when I get a chance.

Also, it is worth noting that the OMC Cobra drive was actually a pretty good design. The only black eye is as noted regarding service and parts availability. It is also worth noting that the "bullet-proof" Volvo SX was the result of a joint venture between VP and OMC. There is a lot of OMC Cobra DNA in the original SX drives.

TilliamWe

Banned

... There is a lot of OMC Cobra DNA in the original SX drives...

I don't see how that can be, since an OMC Cobra is a "shift in the bottom, dog clutch drive" and a VP SX drive is a "Cone clutch, shift in the top" drive. About as different as an Alpha One and a VP SX are today. Nothing alike.

But really, even if the CC doesn't have OMC drives, and even if the CC was made before OMC owned them, why would you buy a boat from a manufacturer that doesn't really exist anymore? The current Chris Craft just isn't the same.

In the meantime, Regal has been building good quality boats in Orlando, FL the whole time.

QC

Supreme Mariner

why would you buy a boat from a manufacturer that doesn't really exist anymore?
I have a simple answer to this one. I have not needed support from a boat manufacturer ever . . . engine and drive, yes. Boat, no. There are exceptions, but generally, as long as the hull holds up and the design/looks work for me, I don't care a whole lot about who built it.

45Auto

Commander

Don't see how you guys can make a recommendation without knowing the price of the boats. Would you say that the Regal at $15K is a better deal than the Chris Craft at $5K???

You can always ASSume the prices are equal, it would be useful for the original poster to say so or maybe post the asking prices for comparison.

Hard to say without knowing prices, but if you like the Regal you may want to look around for a month or two for one in nicer condition. This is the time of year to find some good deals.

stnick

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you all for your informative replies. I'm leaning toward the Regal but he took it out of the water this weekend before I could test drive. The CC owner called me twice today with an offer of 11K. It books out just a little over that so I'm not real motivated by that offer.
I did price the trailer on the Regal and it came in a 3K. It's bitter cold here this week so I'm planning on going into the regal next week and take a good close look along with pics to share with you guys.
I've got a cherry Slickcraft I'll have to part with when I buy and it's so simple compared to these Two boats!

Nick

stnick

Seaman Apprentice

The asking prices are:
Regal $12,500
Chris C. $11,000
Don't see how you guys can make a recommendation without knowing the price of the boats. Would you say that the Regal at $15K is a better deal than the Chris Craft at $5K???

You can always ASSume the prices are equal, it would be useful for the original poster to say so or maybe post the asking prices for comparison.

Hard to say without knowing prices, but if you like the Regal you may want to look around for a month or two for one in nicer condition. This is the time of year to find some good deals.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Drives? Manufacturer and Model? Muy importante!!!!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

the regal probably books closer to 20.... this time of year a prudent shopper should be able to buy just about any 20 yr old boat for around half of the book price if they are willing to travel and have cash (or letter of credit) in hand..... cash is king.....
unless it's really ratty i would say the regal with a trailer is the better buy even if the cc were 5k

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

....As a 1988, I don't think we can jump to any conclusions about the drive on the boat. In fact it may be possible that the 284 Amerosport was offered with straight or v-drive inboards if I'm not mistaken. I'll check an old brochure I have when I get a chance.

.....There is a lot of OMC Cobra DNA in the original SX drives.

I took a look at the 1988 Chris Craft sales brochure that I have stashed away. The 284 Amerosport came with 230HP (305cid 5.0L) OMC drives as standard. It had 230HP Mercs or 260HP (350cid 5.7L) OMC or Mercs as optional....no inboards or v-drives in this model.

Maybe I should have stated the DNA thing differently. The transom shield and few other components are interchangeable. I guess the point I was trying to get accross is that the OMC Cobra as a product and OMC as a company weren't bad and seeing an OMC outdrive shouldn't be an automatic death sentence for an otherwise nice boat. The price of the boat should, however, be significantly less than a comparable boat with a Mercruiser drive....this due to the fact that parts and service availability are limited at this point.

stnick

Seaman Apprentice

I do not know, I have assumed they are Mercruiser since both boats have Chevy's. I noticed the Regal drives from outside a fence and they are not white... I was about 100' away. They were just "serviced" according to the owner. I asked about that and was told the props were rebuilt and the bearings were checked and lubed and the dope was changed.
The CC just had the bellows changed out and the dope changed and bearings lubed.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

I do not know, I have assumed they are Mercruiser since both boats have Chevy's. I noticed the Regal drives from outside a fence and they are not white...

In that era OMC and Mercruiser both used Chevy small block V-8s....so did Volvo Penta.

In that era the only sterndrive that was "white" was the Volvo Penta.

Mercruisers were and continue to be Black.

OMCs were a charcoal grey...pretty dark grey.

From what I have found Regal used Mercruiser and Volvo Penta in that era. I have not found any 1989 Regal Commodores listed for sale with OMC drives.

You need to find out what drives each boat has