Can my SUV pull this boat?

4mattd

Cadet
Hello
I need some help from experienced boaters.
I always wanted a boat. So a few years back i bought a small 70's runabout to try things out and was hooked on boating instantly.
Now i want to upgrade to a used Sea Ray 185.
But I'm wondering if my current SUV can pull it. ive got a 2002 Isuzu Rodeo with FWD. 3.2L
Tow cap. is 3500 lbs. The Sea Ray is approx. 2600 + trailer. Is this safe to pull?
Could it damage my transmission towing at near capacity?
Thanks for the help....

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Can my SUV pull this boat?

well the manufacturer thinks so and waranteed it to do so

timmyjoebob

Seaman

I would say your rig weighs more than you think. A Sea Ray 185 might weigh 2600# hull only. They're pretty substantial boats. Add your motor weight (4-stroke outboard = 400#), gear (100#), and trailer (700#), and you're over the tow capacity. Be very careful. My 2 pennies.

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What does the trailer weigh? Add that to the boat, gear, fuel, equipment and I would expect you'd be too heavy. Certainly close.

cribber

Lieutenant

You might be close to the max tow capacity. Short distance hauls and no real big hills you should be okay as long as your surge brakes are working. Just give yourself extra room for braking distances.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

yeah if you were wrong on the weight it could be over.... you could scale it at a truck stop

4mattd

Cadet

Thanks for your replys....i have been getting conflicting info.
Some people I have spoken with say, do not tow more then 70-75 percent of your tow capacity. Other people say I'll be OK. Dont want to be on the road with something dangerous.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Go weigh the outfit. Add some for gear and gas and see for yourself. If you are still within then add a tranny cooler if you decide to tow. The other question you have to ask yourself is will it stop ??

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Hello
Tow cap. is 3500 lbs. The Sea Ray is approx. 2600 + trailer. Is this safe to pull?

Like others have said, you might want to weigh it. If its over, its not safe. If its under, then your good to go. Pulling that close to max capacity, you'll want to be sure to drive easy - leave plenty of space between you and the next car, etc, etc...

Could it damage my transmission towing at near capacity?
Thanks for the help....

It won't "damage" a tranny in good working order by towing it at capacity.... but it will accelerate wear significantly. And if your 8 year old tranny has any current issues that are hiding, pulling 3000 lbs will make the issues show up almost immediately.

Good luck to you.... and welcome to iboats!

4mattd

Cadet

I'm assuming the tow weight includes: boat, trailer, gear, gas, etc.
Does it include extra weight in your vehicle? (people, gear)?
Thanks

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

gvwr includes people tow rating only includes what you are towing..... there WAS some recent debate about towing people in a boat but that's just a dig at another forum member and not at all related to your question :D

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

There are three numbers of concern - GVWR, Tow Rating and CGVWR.

GVWR = Gross vehicle Weight Rating. Its what your vehicle is rated at on the basis of vehicle load only.

Tow Rating = What your vehicle is rated to tow - the weight of the trailer and contents, be it a boat, items placed in an enclosed or utility trailer, etc.

CGVWR = Combined Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. This is the total, allowable weight of the vehicle, the trailer and everything loaded into both. While you might expect this number to be equal to the total of the GCWR and the Tow Rating, that is not always true. Often times, the sum of the first two items will be less than the CGVWR.

???

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think you are very close to max rating and the tow ratings are set by marketing people and IMO nothing is really capable of towing the max rating. Like people said weigh it at truck stop of scrap yard and make sure you are under legal rating. If you exceed that and get in an accident it gets messy quickly from an insurance prospective.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Curious what are the torque and horsepower ratings for that Rodeo? I'm not familiar with the Rodeo. To answer your question in simple terms. Yes it can. My surely less powerful minivan can and has tow my heavier rig long distances before I owned a legitimate tow vehicle. I held my breath on the tranny each trip but it never broke.