Leafspring bolts

MRS

Commander
Are the nuts that hold the springs on supose to stay tight my seem to back off just a little. Is that because of the movement of the springs or should they stay tight I did change the axel this summer and they were loose then also. Thanks for any replys....
Springbolts.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Leafspring bolts

Everything should stay tight. Lock washer's??? Lock tite???

MRS

Commander

Thanks for quick reply I just painted trailer yesterday and doing bunk boards today. Since I have the room now with boat off want to fix these now I wanted to put nylock nuts on but not enough treads on bolts and the washers same problem. I will try lock tite on them with lock tite should I just snug them up and maybe add a half turn to them? Thanks again.....

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer

Use the blue lock-tite (Removable). Tighten the nuts as tight as you can get them. Thats what i would do.

MRS

Commander

I am going out now to check it out was 28 dgs. this morning at 6:00 now 48dgs.:) Thanks will make sure to tighten them up with lock tite (blue).....

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for quick reply I just painted trailer yesterday and doing bunk boards today. Since I have the room now with boat off want to fix these now I wanted to put nylock nuts on but not enough treads on bolts and the washers same problem. I will try lock tite on them with lock tite should I just snug them up and maybe add a half turn to them? Thanks again.....
Per the above post and your pic, I am guessing your talking about the spring eye and shackle bolts.
You do not want those to be "as tight as possible" if they are those points will not want to swivel. If there is not enough thread to engage the nylock feature of the nuts, then yes you could use some locktite on them.
Or use a cold chisel or punch to upset a thread or two a little bit at a point after the nut is started good.
The axle to spring pack u-bolts if new, might have stretched a bit since first installed. And/or the spring plates might have bowed a bit or got bumped and bent a bit. And if the u-bolts and nuts are hot dip galvanized and installed new the soft galvanizing may have given way in the area where the nuts engage the threads of the ubolt. And are thus not as tight when first torqued.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

I agree with jeeperman, you definitely do not want them as tight as possible it can bind the spring.

MRS

Commander

Thanks had to touch up paint abit so did not work on bolts and nuts yet. Those are the ones I am working on so I should then firm them up (fairly tight) with lock tite, and of coaurse check often. Thanks again.....

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Tightening the nuts too far down deforms the spring perches and binds the spring eyes, unless there is a steel liner inside the rubber in the spring eye. The bolts need to be grade 8 and the nuts need to be deformed thread nuts. These are special nuts that go on the bolt threads tight, and stay tight without damaging the threads. You need to run them up just snug to the shackles.

If there is a steel liner inside the spring eye, then you can run the bolts down "grunt" tight without worry but they still need deformed thread nuts. Ak for them at a fastener store like Fastenal--they should know what they are.

puddle jumper

Captain

Something to think about there should be a torque speck for the u bolts. Just to simply tighten as tight as possible may stretch the bolt and weaken it. This may also contribute to what seems like its loosening off. Is the axle moving or are you just getting a small amount of turn on the bolt?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

My trailer was missing two of these bolts when I got it ..... I walked into my local farm supply store and bought a pack of two proper bolts with deformed nuts for $5.00.... no brainer..... I chose to tighten down till snug and back off 1/4 turn.... the purpose is to allow the suspension to flex without binding.... Also allowing free motion helps keep the bolt from seizing in the spring and makes it easier for oil to make it's way in when I lube them from time to time

MRS

Commander

Ask for them at a fastener store like Fastenal--they should know what they are.[/QUOTE said:
I will replace them with those I do have a nutty bolt shop near me. And they do have the steel liner in there also. Thanks...

The bolts pressed in like wheel studs so I know they do not move.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

I would use greaseable shackle/spring eye bolts.

MRS

Commander

I would use greaseable shackle/spring eye bolts.

Wish I would have known about those before I changed the axel would have used them. If they do keep coming loose I will change everything out and will use those. Are all bolts press in like mine? And if not if I do have to change them are the greaseable shackle/spring bolts pressed in or will that or does that matter? Thanks......

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

They can be had either way, serrated or plain. Just get the right diameter and length.
Sometimes they are called "wet shackle bolt".

MRS

Commander

They can be had either way, serrated or plain. Just get the right diameter and length.
Sometimes they are called "wet shackle bolt".

Thanks will do if have to redo or when it is time to redo....