How to install a distributor?

seamanben

Seaman Apprentice
'98 merc 3.0L, 135hp

Yesterday removed the cap from the distributor and then removed the distributor itself from the engine (while foolishly looking for the source of another problem) and then today put it back in. Little did I know that it had to be put in just right..

Cranked it over, wouldn't start, then made a super loud backfire noise, and after a few more tries still would not start.

I read the manual like I should have at the start of this f'n project and found out how to properly install the distributor - but I need a little clarification.. I've pasted the instructions below, with my two QUESTIONS IN ALL-CAPS. Any advice is much appreciated!

Distributor Installation: Engine Disturbed

1. Locate No. 1 piston in firing position by either of two methods described below.

a. Remove No. 1 spark plug and, with finger on plug hole, crank engine until compression is felt in No. 1 cylinder. Continue cranking until pointer lines up with timing mark on crankshaft pulley, (IS THIS WITH THE DISTRIBUTOR INSTALLED?)
or,
b. Remove rocker cover and crank engine until No. 1 intake valve closes, continuing
to crank slowly until pointer lines up with timing mark on crankshaft pulley.
2. Position distributor to opening in block in normal installed attitude.
3. Position rotor to point toward front of engine (with distributor housing held in installed
attitude), then turn rotor counterclockwise approximately 1/8-turn more to the left and
push distributor down to engage camshaft. It may be necessary to rotate rotor slightly
until camshaft engagement is felt.

4. While pressing down firmly on distributor housing, engage starter a few times to make
sure oil pump shaft is engaged (HOW DO WE KNOW IF THE OIL PUMP SHAFT IS ENGAGED?). Install hold-down clamp and bolt and snug up bolt.

5. Turn distributor body slightly until points just open and tighten distributor clamp bolt.
6. Place distributor cap in position and check that rotor lines up with terminal for No. 1 spark plug. Install cap.
7. Install cap, distributor primary lead to coil. Check and connect spark plug wires, if they
have been removed. Wires must be installed in their proper location in supports to
prevent cross-firing. Firing order is 1-3-4-2.
8. Install rotor.
9. Replace distributor cap.
10. Time ignition as outlined under ?Ignition Timing,? in this section.

joey maneri

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: How to install a distributor?

Bring the motor up to top dead center without the distributer in the motor. And the base of the dist. where the gasket is will not seat untill the dist. lines up with the oil pump shaft

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

. Remove No. 1 spark plug and, with finger on plug hole, crank engine until compression is felt in No. 1 cylinder. Continue cranking until pointer lines up with timing mark on crankshaft pulley, (IS THIS WITH THE DISTRIBUTOR INSTALLED?)

Its with the distributor out.

(HOW DO WE KNOW IF THE OIL PUMP SHAFT IS ENGAGED?).

The distributor wont fall all the way in until its engaged.

seamanben

Seaman Apprentice

Its with the distributor out.

Ok, with it out. I assume you leave all the wiring attached to it and the distributor cap on it right? Then turn the key and crank the motor over until you get to TDC?

ziggy

Admiral

myself, i'd pull all the plugs. then manually turn the engine over with my thumb over the plughole hopefully detecting compression. once sure i was on the compresson stroke, i'd bring the timing marks to 0* or tdc. then install the dist.
cranking it over can work, but i've found it frustrating to be able to stop cranking while staying on the compression stoke of #1. if cranking it. ground the dist. coil tower wire. if ya have one..

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You can't do this with the distributor cap on because you would not be able to tell where the rotor is pointing? Don't overthink this. Follow the procedure. The camshaft runs at half the speed of the crankshaft so that's why you need to get the #1 cylinder at TDC. Using the timing pointer on the front of the engine can result in in either TDC or 180 degrees out depending on whether #1 is on the top of the exhaust or compression stroke. Once you have the distributor in, you then rotate the body so the rotor points roughly to #1 plug wire. From this point the engine should start but you then need to set the timing. If this is a points style ignition, make sure you set the point gap (dwell angle) before setting the timing. That must be set before you set timing.

seamanben

Seaman Apprentice

Can you tell me how you 'turn the engine over manually'? Sorry for this newbie question, I'm sure it's simple, but i've been out there trying, and no luck!

renny1

Petty Officer 1st Class

as stated above take out the plugs and turn the pulley at the front it will turn easily,i have just installed a dizzy into my 3L and it is easy just follow the book

ziggy

Admiral

you may have to use some ingenuity.... i did to be able to turn mine.

myself, i have no bolt on the harmonic balancer which is a common place to turn it over at with a wrench. i also have a alt. and a waterpump pulley. the water pump pulley was my ticket. i use a strap wrench on it. with the belt tight, i can turn the engine over w/o plugs in it by turning on it from that pulley.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Easiest way on a 3.0L engine is to take the spark plugs out, tighten the alternator belt, and use the nut on the alternator to turn the engine. In the NORMAL direction of rotation. You can also get a remote starter button and hook it up to the starter to move it most of the way.

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer

There are some videos on youtube.com that could help simplify the procedure for you.

seamanben

Seaman Apprentice

Ok thanks guys, a wealth of information on here!