dual 6hp?

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade
So I have myself this little boat:

l_491485fadbf54445baa6be40667085bb.jpg

Its....14 or 15' I don't remember. But anyway it not too heavy. When I put it on its new trailer, I got the front, and my friend got the back, and we carried it to to the new trailer. So, its not too heavy.

Now, I have 2 matching 1970ish 6hp evinrude outboards. How well do ya'll think 2- 6hp's will move the thing? - or should I get a 3rd? (hahaha)

I was thinking, cut the weight of the boat in half, and a 6hp could move it no problem. So, maybe it'll push it ok?

max hp of the boat is 45.

also, is the reverse rotation of one of the motors a must?

trendsetter240

Lieutenant
Re: dual 6hp?

I think they will move the boat for sure..about 6mph:). Not a chance it will plane unless you removed the closed bow, windsheild and all of that..then maybe but I doubt it.

No they don't have to be counter-rotating. It won't make any notable difference at that HP.

It will look cool though. And I want to see pics!

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

What engine is that on it? A 40hp? You don't want to fix it up? Does it need more than a lower unit? All the help you need is on this forum.

Make sure you tie a bar between the two 6's so that the turn together or make sure they are far enough apart so that LU's/prop's cant hit.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Well you can but try but I would think you will want more performance than 2 X 6hp motors will give you. Especially with a max of 45hp for the boat. Personally I would want no less than 30hp pushing it.
Is the motor on it in reasonable condition except for the missing lower unit ??

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What engine is that on it? A 40hp? You don't want to fix it up? Does it need more than a lower unit? All the help you need is on this forum.

Make sure you tie a bar between the two 6's so that the turn together or make sure they are far enough apart so that LU's/prop's cant hit.

Why not fix that engine? Because it is ugly and I hate it.

Dual outboards rock, I have always wanted a dual set-up.

So if 2 6hp wont move it, should I start looking for some 10's? or 15?

Its not a big boat so I doubt that I could get 2- 20hp's back there. then there is higher cost too...

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Is the motor on it in reasonable condition except for the missing lower unit ??

Lower unit is actually inside the boat.

And I just don't like that era of johnsons, with the glass bowl fuel pump thing, not very attractive, both outside and inside the hood.

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

Why not fix that engine? Because it is ugly and I hate it.

Dual outboards rock, I have always wanted a dual set-up.

So if 2 6hp wont move it, should I start looking for some 10's? or 15?

Its not a big boat so I doubt that I could get 2- 20hp's back there. then there is higher cost too...

Go for 2 X 15hp engines. Most 9.9 to 15hp outboards use the same block and you will get more bang per lb with the 15s.

Sounds like a cool project if you ask me. No real purpose other than it will look cool! :D

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Go for 2 X 15hp engines. Most 9.9 to 15hp outboards use the same block and you will get more bang per lb with the 15s.

Sounds like a cool project if you ask me. No real purpose other than it will look cool! :D

...well, if one dies on the water, you can still get back.

Which, when your a budget boater like myself, that is always a concern.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Lower unit is actually inside the boat.

And I just don't like that era of johnsons, with the glass bowl fuel pump thing, not very attractive, both outside and inside the hood.

It's an Evinrude!

That's too bad you don't like them are they are great classics. I'm also thinking about putting dual 18's on one of my boats as I agree with you, it'll be kinda cool. But I need a dual controller first.

rjezuit

Chief Petty Officer

I believe in general, you want at least 80% of the maximum rated HP for "good" performance. Rick

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It's an Evinrude!

That's too bad you don't like them are they are great classics. I'm also thinking about putting dual 18's on one of my boats as I agree with you, it'll be kinda cool. But I need a dual controller first.

...yeah.... that is kind of a problem...

I was thinking of taking 2 old controllers, the johnson kind that have a 2 levers, black and red, one for shift and throttle. And combining the 2 throttle levers into one box. then just rigging something up for shift. that shouldn't be too hard.

I originally got a 6hp Johnson for my 9' inflatable. Then came across its 6hp evinrude twin. and then found a seized 6hp johnson at the boat shop.

I'm in the process of 'restoring' the first 6hp. I disassembled the entire thing, except the powerhead. Then sand-blasted (glass actually) the hood pan, transom bracket, mid section, lower unit, tiller handle, and all hardware and nuts/bolts.

I gotta wait for the boat shop to open to get the johnson paint, but it should look nice and new when I'm done.

and pulling the power head wasn't a bad idea. the coolant passages were quiet clogged. So water should be much easier to flow though now.

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

...well, if one dies on the water, you can still get back.

Which, when your a budget boater like myself, that is always a concern.

Yep good point. What I meant was is that you won't get any speed or fuel economy improvments with the dual setup this small as compared to a single engine of the same total HP.

Good luck with your project, I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Good luck with your project, I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

Well, it looks like its coming to a halt until I find more engines. my questions of it being underpowered have been answered.

I'll still 'restore' both 6hp's and mount them on the boat for giggles though. maybe then do some trading.

there is a 9.9 on CL right now, the guy wants to trade for something smaller. I have a 5hp in the garage.... I might do that trade then find a second 9.9er

that will at least hold me over until I find some 15's

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the 6's will push it. but that is it. small pond. the rule of thumb, is 70% or rated HP, for anything near proper performance. 30Hp minimum. it could be an old Duracraft or Lonestar.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

If you fit twin outboards you will need the long legs to go with them

TwinEvinrudes.jpg

marvxyz1

Seaman Apprentice

I have a boat similar to yours (although aluminum). I was thinking of doing the same, 2-6's, but I thought it would be a unecessary hassle, so I decided to go with a single 6 HP. It gets me where I want to go on smaller lakes. Occasionally even water splashes onto the windshield. I'm slow but, I get there just the same. Best of luck with whatever you come up with!!
marvxyz

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

ah, twins.

Anyway, this is an aluminum boat. Its just been painted 18 different times.

Ill get around to sand-blasting that too one of these day.

PS: Sand paper is a waste of time. But yourself a cheap $15 blasting gun and watch paint, stickers, oil, corrosion, and grime fall right off.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Having said that, which pair of outboards are you referring to ???:D:D:D:D