Good Motor?

paw2000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi, I'm usually at the force section reading and learning how to keep my force 125 running well. Well I bought a 1985 140 VRO long shaft to replace my force. The motor is complete, runs and idles smooth, tilt trim 2yrs old and working, compression all close around 120psi. Is this a good all purpose motor?reliable?

Over the winter I want to do the basics, tuneup, water pump, fluids etc, any special considerations for this motor? It looks this motor was made for several years so thats a plus for parts.

I also heard the term "looper" is this a description of the motor, or a feature?

Lastly, I did a search on the net for parts, I was looking for the lower engine cover (mine has several chips on the edge were the hood meets) does anyone know of a used part boneyard that might have these covers?

Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Good Motor?

not unusual for there to be chips there. unless it really bothers you i would live with it. it is a pain to replace.

i would disconnect the oil side of the VRO pump, and go to premix, like your force, if it has not been done, as they are not reliable.

keep it tuned, replace all fuel lines with alcohol resistant lines. it should run another 20 years. i have a 77 140, that runs like new.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Same motor as I run on our outfit. As with anything mechanical it is only as good as the maintenance and care it has received previously.
Give it the basic health check, change impeller / water pump and change out lower unit oil.
Does it still have the VRO connected and if so is the oil side still connected or has it been disconnected and currently pre-mixing ??
I changed mine to a pre-mix pump a couple of summers ago when the fuel side of my VRO pump started to fail.
In short, they are a great motor and you will wonder why you kept the Force so long when you get this one going.
Good Luck and let us all know how you are making out with it.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Part out the Force and stay on this side of the forum :)

SparkieBoat

Captain

you should be thrilled with the service of your new motor, compared to your old Force..most people I know would not use a force if you gave it to them for free. The V-4 OMC motors are legendary for durability and performance. They are reasonable easy to maintain and repair. I got a 1979, 85 HP and a 1989, 100 HP..both crank and run great. Its my 1996 V-6 looper that is giving me all my troubles.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

That's a real good motor, lots of torque. The lower pans shouldn't be that hard to come by and are breeze to change. Just keep Champion plugs in it and use good oil. When you change the water pump use the 5001595 kit, not the 5001594 kit. If it still has the 3 wire VRO think about upgrading to an OMS pump, they have a much better alarm circuit.

paw2000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was checking things out on the motor today and getting ready to make an engine stand so I can work on it over the winter. I was looking at the VRO pump, looks newish and it has 4 wires. Is this a different pump? I have to crash course learn about Johnsons now.

I looked up that kit info, not to sound stupid but what is splitline cases? in reference to water pump kit 5001595

Once I get it on the stand tomorrow(hopefully) I'll take pictures of the motor to help identify different components.

I'm hoping someone will be in a need for a good running force motor, I hate to part it out as it is in good shape, but I know its worth more in parts then as a whole.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The newest fuel / oil pump has 4 wires and replacable fittings. Don't worry about the split line gearcases, the 5001595 pump is a slightly higher pressure water pump. We use those pumps in everything. Later gearcases have spaces between the upper part of the gearcase and the midesction. It's just an identification thing.

SparkieBoat

Captain

someone probably changed that fuel pump already..which is a good thing..they are about $300. Kenny mentioned premixing your fuel..it is my preferred method also, I just cant seem to trust that it will accurately mix the oil and never ever fail.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

someone probably changed that fuel pump already..which is a good thing..they are about $300. Kenny mentioned premixing your fuel..it is my preferred method also, I just cant seem to trust that it will accurately mix the oil and never ever fail.

The newer OMS pumps are reportedly way superior than the old VRO system and very reliable. I changed mine to premix mainly due to price difference.
Replacement OMS pump. $500 Canadian
Pre-mix pump. $84 Canadian.
Using my boat on vacation again within a couple of hours........Priceless !!:D

paw2000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Good Motor? Pictures

Re: Good Motor? Pictures

Hi, Well I got it on a homemade stand over the weekend. I started to pull the lower covers to get access to inspect motor. I noticed the loose steering, its actual stripped at the splines in the lower mount. The Upper mount must have taken the load as its in bad shape. From the reading of past threads, seems to be a common issue with loose steering.

So here is my questions, I'll need to pull the powerhead, to get access to the top mount, I counted 3 long bolts each side, 3 smaller on the rear and 2 up front. Other then the shift lever actuator do I need to remove anything else first?

My goal is to not disturb the engine much, since it runs and compression is good, I would like to lift it off, repair the mount, new gasket and reattach. Any suggestions or tips is appreciated. I've been looking for a factory manual, I'm staying away from the general purpose manuals like seloc ( had 1 for my force, so much inaccurate info and pictures didn't match description)
http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx295/sammywell2009/DCP_3773.jpg
http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx295/sammywell2009/DCP_3772.jpg

If anyone has a used manual I'll pay for a copy of it, or buy it outright

jonesg

Admiral

www.outboardbooks.com
genuine factory service manuals.

Might wanna watch the engine mount bolts,
I see no washers on the nuts.
i had mine on a mount like that and the wood split at the upper bolts.
Laminated ply would be safer with these bigger engines.

paw2000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll swap out to large fender washers, not bad for a few hours work. That is a heavy motor, I'm impressed with the size of the lower unit, makes my old force 125hp look like a kicker.

I'll check out the link for the manuals, buy once last a lifetime

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

drop the lower unit before the power head. makes it easier. drive shaft will come with lower unit, rather than have to lift the power head off it. that stand will be fine. i have 5 like it, that i use everyday.