I need computer help

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer
Mom got herself a new computer this year for Christmas and i cant help her out on this one. She bought a Apple Mac Pro laptop and she wants to transfer files from her Dell desk top. I don't know how or if you can transfer files from a PC to a Mac. Hopefully someone with better computer knowledge than i can help out.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: I need computer help

The quickest way is to copy the files to a CD (or DVD or USB memory stick) on the Dell, then copy them in on the Mac.
I also believe that an external hard drive would work, but would have to be formatted in the FAT32 format in order for both the Dell and Mac to recognize it.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you have both on the network and the windows version allows for network sharing (professional), you can go to the MAC, open Finder, then from the top menu pull down GO, then connect to server.

To connect to your windows machine type SMB://<ip address of the windows machine>/c$

You will then be able to see the windows disk drive.

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer

I have loaded everything to the USB Memory stick. When i try to load it to the Mac i get the unable to recognize the file pop up. Is there something i need to do to make it recognize the files? I know absolutely nothing about a Mac computer. I can dearly get myself a PC.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Open up 2 windows in finder and drag the files from the stick to the mac. You should see a green plus sign indicating it is a copy.

What kind of files?

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer

Looks like just about everything she has is in Microsoft word. I will try the suggestion given so far. Thanks

i386

Captain

Sounds like the Mac is reading the memory stick just fine, but doesn't know how to open the files.

Does the Mac have Microsoft Word on it? If not she'll need MS Office (or just Word for Mac) or she can get Open Office for Mac. It's free and can work with all MS Office files (Word, Excel, Power Point, Publisher).

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks everyone, with your help we were able to transfer everything.