Slow''''''

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer
For the past 2-3 months it has been almost impossible to get from the opening page to any of the links on the forum. I know this computer is no speed demon, but with dsl and a fairly good 100Mbps I gotta believe something else is wrong. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

PS almost all other web sites ebay etc are normal speed

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Slow''''''

In my somewhat limited time here...... my browser review ;)

IE worst
Opera Okay
Firefox good
Chrome fastest for me

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I'm on a cellular aircard, which is not very fast in comparison to DSL or cable, and everything loads just fine for me. You might want to download Malwarebytes (free) and run it, if you don't have it already. Sometimes you pick up a bunch of junk that is trying to "phone home" all of the time and it slows your internet down quite a bit.

???

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer

Will download firefox this weekend, I'm tired of clicking on don't send a report anyway (like they have a little guy at ie checking these)

Thanks and have a safe great weekend.

45Auto

Commander

No problems at all with any of the 3 computers at home or the 3 at work I use to browse Iboats. Loads instantly. IE on all of them, connections range from T1 to DSL to air card. You've probably got some kind of adware or spyware slowing you down. As Jay Merrill said, Malawarebytes (free) is the best thing I've found for cleaning computers, our computer technology department at work (NASA) uses it.

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer

100mbs?? :)

My 35 down loads it in a second or two, IE/Firefox/chrome

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

the 100Mb/s refers to his internal network in the house. That really does not matter as the limiting factor is the slowest link - the DSL.

Agree that your problem is probably malware and other junk.

I like Spybot to get rid of malware ( http://www.safer-networking.org/en/ ). You need to run at least one of these, would not hurt to run both. Make sure to get the latest definition files (the software will guide you) and run with a clean slate reported.

Spybot also has an feature when you run it in advanced mode that will show you what junk is automatically run when you start up the computer. You will be shocked how many programs are running and you don't know it. You can uncheck the ones you don't want.

Also run defragment disk under programs. accessories, system tools. This can be a big factor also.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Ditto on the Spybot and running more than one adware utility. Ditto also on keeping the definitions file updated.

There are slimey little geeks burning up the midnight hours all over the planet, drinking "Jolt Cola" by the case, typing away with cigarette stained fingers and just dying to make money, by annoying the heck out of the rest of us. They also study known adware utilities, in a never ending dance with them to keep ahead of one another. I'm of the opinion that more than a few of them actually work for some of the adware removal software companies - as in the ones that don't give their stuff away for free.

Also, if you are surfing and a window pops up, telling you that "your computer might be infected" and then tells you to click on something to remove it or tell you what the "problem" is, DON'T!. Many of these are spammers themselves and opening what they want you to open, will infect your computer and then try to get you to buy their product to remove it.

If you don't have virus protection, try Trend Micro's Housecall." Just run a search on "housecall" and you will find it. Trend Micro is a trusted source and Microsoft (I know, the evil empire) uses them to scan Hotmail. They also have other free utilities, such as "Hijack This, "Rootkitbuster," etc.

Such is life in the digital age. If I were "Osama Been Hidin," I wouldn't bother blowing stuff up - I would just go after the computers!

???

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks and here's an update. Sticking with ie for now but did download and run spybot as suggested. Found 18 annoyance I know what your doing things, but no smoking guns. Ran defrag and I guess it's typical for people to ignore their own when a lot of their work involves computers. Anyway graph about the worst I have ever seen.

Some improvement noted but going to defrag again.

Thanks again

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Don't forget the Malwarebytes - its really good and may pick up stuff that Spybot didn't.

???

jdsgrog

Chief Petty Officer

How full is your hard drive? Also, how much RAM do have? Are you running Windows XP, Vista, or 7 or (god forbid) windows 98 or millenium. Are you running a virus protection software like Norton or McAffee? There are a number of reasons why your computer slows down. If it's not malware, viruses, adware, and the like, then it could be your computer has a lot of background programs running and is hogging up memory. A full hard drive is another issue that a lot of people don't look at. Also, a lack of available memory is another. If you have also upgraded your os any time in the near past, this may also have caused slowing of the computer. In the worst case scenarios, you may be having hardware conflicts, corrupt registry files, or RAM failure.

It'd be helpful to see what your setup is.

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer

OK time for another update:

Malwarebytes found zip
After repeated defrag, still have a lot of fragged files although gets a little better every time.

Off lease Compaq Evo N 610c (wiped with new os installed)
Pent 4 Single Core 2.40Ghz
512Mb ram
XP Pro w/sp 3
17 gig used on the 40 gig hd
I know it needs more ram but remember this computer used to run through the forum fast. It's got to be an upgrade or program installed since this summer that's dragging me down. Plus e-bay, face book, and other non forum sites seem to run as normal .

One possible clue was erratic hard drive, noise and crashing a few a few months back (That could explain it all come to think of it. Trouble is computer not worth a 60 buck hard drive)

Last edited:

ThumbPkr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have maybe a half dozen different computers that get to load this site at different times and it is slow on every one of them.This is by far the slowest website I visit.I just accept it,it is not the fault of my hardware unless my electricity is bad.Ron G