1987 evinrude 88 spl

dieselcat

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think my motor is leaking water somewhere on the bottom end of the powerhead.

I could see water running out of the bottom motor cover where all the battery and control wires come out of the bottom cover when i tilt the motor up.:confused:

Is there a gasket that goes between the powerhead and mid section where it connects the 2 together that can leak water?:eek:

Also noticed my telltail would have a strong stream untill the motor got warmed up,then it would only barely come out but the motor never overheated.

I put a brand new waterpump on,housing and all and got the same results.
Any ideas on what could cause this

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: 1987 evinrude 88 spl

The bolts on the exhaust cover (between the two heads) become loose over time and water can leak from that cover, check them for tightness.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

there are also hoses to the tstat, between the 2 heads, blow the exhaust cover. they may be leaking.

remove cowl, bring motor up to temperature, and look for leaks.

dieselcat

Petty Officer 1st Class

New tstats and hoses.I have also replaced head gaskets,and both exhaust and exhaust cover gaskets,water looks as if is coming from low part of phead.actually been a few months since i actually used the boat just going off of memory.
Checked all that everyone has listed above when i first found that it was leaking somewhere,could never pinpoint it.onlything i know for sure is that it is leaking somewhere down low and whatever is leaking is not spraying,its just coming out,lol

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You've done a good job of trying to replace the "easy" parts first. If it is still leaking, it may be the powerhead base gasket. That gasket is between the midsection adapter and the underside of the powerhead. These gaskets are prone to fail after many years-though usually they fail by leaking exhaust smoke into the engine cowling. The coolant water does go through this gasket, and a defective gasket can leak water into the lower cowling. I'd start the engine and get a small mirror-then hold it in the lower cowling to pinpoint just where the leak is. I have seen cracked blocks on the underside of the lower cyl, which leaked. Would be nice to know for sure where the leak is before you pull the powerhead (a 3 hour job.)

surrender

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just changed my impeller and just thought about your problem. If everything is not done just right with sealing the watertube to pump connection with the proper o ring(s) couldn't water from the pump fill the midsection and push up through the shift shaft grommet under the carbs? Just a thought.