Interesting tinny video

pmillar

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm not quite sure which forum is most appropriate so forgive me if it belongs elsewhere. Anyhow, you may find this little gem a bit interesting. It's an aluminum hulled jet boat our govt. is looking to use for coastal work. 50 mph and over 300 ft. long... not sure about the mileage though :p

My brother is an engineer at the shipyard that built it and has been out during sea trials in the gulf. She's almost ready to deliver. It's pretty neat if you ask me.

http://www.gdlcs.com/media-center/videos/lcs2-independence

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Interesting tinny video

That should put some fear into the pirates! :D

jevery

Chief Petty Officer

Just watched a show on the Navy's new LPDs, amazing. The LPDs are diesel - I'm guessing the LCS2s are jet turbine. Speed looks to be over 50.

puddle jumper

Captain

Looks like the bilge pump works good:p. They need to find the leek:D

Nice looking boat. :)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Rod holders. Where are the cotton pickin' rod holders??

pmillar

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just watched a show on the Navy's new LPDs, amazing. The LPDs are diesel - I'm guessing the LCS2s are jet turbine. Speed looks to be over 50.

Yep, turbines for power. They have jets in the front for quick maneuvering (and docking) as well as in the rear. It also has a heli pad for extended range in seeking out pirates/drug runners/terrorists or whoever needs proper attention :rolleyes:

aspeck

Staff member

Can I find one of them on ebay or craigs list? I don't think I could afford a new one!