Lieutenant Commander
Re: do boaters help boaters?

Since I'm new to boating I haven't had the opportunity
to help any one yet but I wouldn't hesitate. As already
mentioned "pay it forward" is the way to go. It really
seems to work, at least for me. My whole life I have
always helped others and people have helped me just
when I needed it the most.

I think it somewhat depends on where you live too.
Here in small town America most people on the lakes
wave and are friendly. In my own experience it seems
like the farther south you go the friendlier people are
to total strangers.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

In October when I launched my Starcraft for the first time..I picked a secluded little out of the way ramp..

There was a few elderly men and women sitting on the dock, in chairs enjoying the late afternoon..

I had Diane in the boat as I backed down..(nervous but did a pretty good job)

As I got deeper down the ramp, they came over and commented on my boat (always nice!) and secondly told Diane to toss them the bow and stern lines and they helped tie her up as I parked the trailer..

I explained I was just going to go up and down the river and make sure I dont sink..They said OK we'll be watching for you..

When we came back in it was just after dusk, they stayed and waited to make sure we came back OK.

They helped us tie up again and I got the trailer.
There was a couple kids in a jon boat that came up to the dock that had been behind us on the way in..

One of the young kids mentioned that I should turn on the stern light at dusk..Very politely and I thanked him..

The kids also guided me back in till I was deep enough to retrieve and everybody waived as I pulled her out.

For being away from boats and launching for almost 20 years..They all made a stressfull day very memorable!

captharv

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am retired Coast Guard Auxilairy, after 26 years and over 250 documented assists.
Before Sea Tow sued the govt, and removed the CG from assiting boaters, we were the assist people for mostly all of the Lakes and the rivers. Even the ICW and offshore. Money could not be acepted, because of Govt rules.
I had some of the rudest and ungrateful people that I assisted, and some of the nicest. OK, As a boater myself, I can understand getting upset because the boat broke down and ruined an outting. But, hey: I am not getting paid for this. We have done 20 mile offshore tows. I will tow you to the first location where you can get help for your problem, which may be just feet away, but not 30 miles bach to YOUR marina.
One instance, a guy had a twin engine go-fast, complete with gold chains and blonde. His batteries were dead at the marina, and they jumpped the boat and got him going. At the no-wake zone, he was doing about 50, and the marine patrol officer stopped him, and ticketed him. Then it would not start. Thats when we came along, not knowing the situation. The officer radioed us and asked us to take him to teh nearest marina. After calling it in, we towed this SOB, who compained all the way back, including comments: " I could tow this boat faster by swimming with a rope in my teeth", etc (Note: we were towing at hull speed, which is the maximum safe speed.)
I told him if he did not shut up, I may give him the opportunity to demonstate it to us. So, more comments, and we called the situation in. The CG boarding team met us at the marine and did a complete inspection. Wrote 2 more tickets.
Would I stop now that I am not "official" now? Yes with caviets: Nasty, verbally abusive, ordering me around, and such will get it called into $ea tow. I will stand by at a safe distance until they arrive and then leave.

No, the LAW does not require you to courtesy tow another boat which is NOT in distress. (Distress: a medical or other problem threatening life.) You duties are to help them if you can , within the scope of your training and abilities, without endangering your boat or people. The only time you MUST stop and render aid is if you are involved in the incident
Besides this, I have done many hours of tow training the the CG. I have the proper equipment aboard. I would venture an educated guess as to 90% of the boaters on the water not having the skills ( or equipment) needed for a safe tow. Just because you did this once and didn't get hurt doesn't mean you are skilled.
Example: Look at a CG vessel. There is a chain link fence behind the helmsman. Reason: If the cleat on a towed boat breaks loose (or out) under a towing stress, the tow line stretch will propell it at the back of your head. They lost a fewCG helmsman that way.
No, I don't have an attitude. I just want to point out that assist towing is a serious thing.
(No, I won't teach this here becasue of the liabilities involved)
Speaking of which, the good samaritin law applies to a voluntary assist same as ashore.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

We have offered assistance many times to broken down boaters. Met a mixed bunch of people in the process. Never asked for or taken a penny in compensation. Towed many distressed boaters in to safety to where they launched and some to the marina that i both launch and keep our boat docked at. Then given some a ride to their vehicle and trailer so they can drive back and recover their boat depending on distance from where they launched and our "home" marina.
Do unto others as you would like to be done to you is a great statement.

Fly Rod

Commander

Where I live locals will always help others, it is the week end warrior that seems not to care. I have helped several in distress. I would have to agree with avenger79 on the adverage boater, they are useless.

I do believe that every boater should have a tow boat association for towing it is well worth the money, it is like having tripple A for a vehicle. Don't leave the dock with out it.

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

most of the rude ones have never heard of a boaters safety class. one day it is going to come, that there will be licenses for boats. just like the drivers license. http://www.boatus.org/onlinecourse/ReviewPages/BoatUSF/Project/info2f.htm

As of September 15th this year, all boat operators in Canadian waters must successfully pass a safe boating course/exam and obtain an operators license.

Now if the Canadian Coast Guard, Harbour Patrol or local Police catch you on the water without one...play time is over.

I think this should be the case everywhere. Sometimes all these weekend warriors need is a little education to learn some respect for the water and people's safety.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

As of September 15th this year, all boat operators in Canadian waters must successfully pass a safe boating course/exam and obtain an operators license.

Now if the Canadian Coast Guard, Harbour Patrol or local Police catch you on the water without one...play time is over.

I think this should be the case everywhere. Sometimes all these weekend warriors need is a little education to learn some respect for the water and people's safety.

I agree but time will tell how effective it is here in Canada.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I've meet both the good and the bad boaters.

Generally, the family boaters are friendly and will help out on the ramp in an emergency on the water.

The bad boaters are usually a group of young or middle age men with expensive equipment who think their fishing trip is more important than your family outting. If they do offer help, its usually because you are not moving fast enough for them and they want you out of their way on the ramp. Don't count on their help on the water.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I've meet both the good and the bad boaters.

Generally, the family boaters are friendly and will help out on the ramp in an emergency on the water.

The bad boaters are usually a group of young or middle age men with expensive equipment who think their fishing trip is more important than your family outting. If they do offer help, its usually because you are not moving fast enough for them and they want you out of their way on the ramp. Don't count on their help on the water.

Excellent points Mark.

KRH1326

Chief Petty Officer

I usually do. Besides being a fireman, I am an EMT and a Rescue Diver. I have some good stories about helping people.

I will admit to one occasion that I did not.

I was fishing (stationary) in a shallow, rocky and out of the way corner of a very large bay. Not near any channel, moorings or anything like that. I was in a 15' CC.

Some "rich" jackhole in an obviously way over-priced speed boat kept running back and forth near me. He was not doing it for any reason that involved me, meaning I think he didn't know what he was doing, he was showing off for passengers, whatever.

He eventually hit a lobsterman's bunker net, wrapped up his props, and came to a sudden stop.

I did make sure that no one was hurt. I did confirm that he had a working VHF (Harbor Police were 10 min.s away). But when the clown asked me if I could swim under and free him (I had no flag or gear advertising 'diver', i was just fishin') I just laughed and motored away. He wasn't willing to free himself, but wanted me to.

Does that make me bad...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Bass Tracker TX17

Petty Officer 1st Class

i just want to know there's better people out there that i just haven't bumped into yet.

MMMMMMM I took a stranger boating and fishing in his own boat. left mine on the trailer. got a boat running before it drifted over a dam for a couple. towed a pontoon boat. towed a bass boat away from a dam ( same lake). pulled a nitro off his trailer during a low water spell so he could go fishing. i was the only one that could launch.. :) Gave a guy a sparkplug.

I think I'm better people.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

MMMMMMM I took a stranger boating and fishing in his own boat. left mine on the trailer. got a boat running before it drifted over a dam for a couple. towed a pontoon boat. towed a bass boat away from a dam ( same lake). pulled a nitro off his trailer during a low water spell so he could go fishing. i was the only one that could launch.. :) Gave a guy a sparkplug.

I think I'm better people.

That's the spirit !!!!
There are a lot of nice and helpful people around. You will meet some given time. Hopefully it's infectious to others and that one of them is there if I ever need help.

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade

For the last years for some reason we have run into people needing help most people in our neck of the woods are very helpful

Knightgang

Lieutenant

if not and have a U.S. flag. turn it upside down.

:eek: I would be worried I would get something thrown at me, or worse, if I did that. Some people take that flag, its condition and positioning, reeeaaally seriously.

Anyone that is that finatical about the US flag, and its positioning would know that the US flag hanging upside down is a signal of distress... If someone gets upset about it and there is really a distress situation, then they do not know flag etiquete very well...

SuperNova

Lieutenant

I've been on both ends of helping and being helped. Never been asked for money and never accepted any. If I can help without being viewed as an intrusive, know-it all jerk, I will. But as soon as I sense my help is not wanted I walk away. One thing I will not do is stand there and laugh at you.....unless you are one of those middleaged go fast boaters with all the expensive equipment and the chains and the blond.......although I may keep her from getting bored for you...:D

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Take a look at the tow harness that I am using in this photo. It is in my boat at all times. In that fact, you will find the answer to your question.

IMG_0578R600.jpg

???

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

In my own experience it seems
like the farther south you go the friendlier people are
to total strangers.

Thats the farther south you go in Illinois, or the farther north you go in Wisconsin.

100 miles either side of that state line is no fun for boating.

JDs Dorsett

Seaman

Your story is all I have read so far and I will read what others have said after, but I am sure others feel the same as me out there. Here in Ca. on the west coast, if you were in trouble, you would get help, I have towed strangers back in the Harbor, and stopped a sail boat from certain destuction on the jetty, and I was new to this boating thing at the time. people have been very helpful. with the exception of some rude jet skiers, and a handful of just in experienced boaters, folks are pretty good. i think it is human nature to help people in need, and unfortunately you ran into the few bad eggs. like on this site, most people have helped me and they don't know me from adam. this proves good natured people are out there and here.

Quote: "It's a great life if you don't weaken"

ziggy

Admiral

i agree with the rules. it's your duty to assist, if possible, when someone is in peril. i've helped others. and i've been helped by others... what comes around goes around..