What gauge ?

ron755

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1990 XP150
My water pressure gauge is shot. Should I get a pressure gauge, or a water temp gauge? Is one more reliable than the other?

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: What gauge ?

They are not the same thing, one is for pressure and the other for temp, run 1 of each if it's an option.

psteurer

Petty Officer 1st Class

The water pressure gauge is important in applications such as a jack plate where the engine is lifted vertically to attain better operations or if you are running in skinny water. If you raise the engine too much, there would not be enough water pressure to cool the engine so this gauge lets you know that and prevent cooling and impeller issues. I may be wrong but I think the water temperature gauge is more common. Not sure which is more accurate but I would suspect it would be the temperature gauge.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Ron, Your motor already has a temp buzzer. You might test it to make sure it works. I think the water pressure gauge is more import. If you have the correct pressure, the motor will not overheat, unless the thermostats go bad, which is rare.

I recommend you install a new waterpump and a pressure gauge. Now baseline the gauge reading, so you know what is normal. I get 30+ PSI on my '98 Johnny 150V6, at WOT, and in the 20s at cruise speed.

ron755

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks , I have new water pump, just waiting on the pressure gauge to get here.