computer crash???

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade
my dang comp crashed again, i think.

its a gateway laptop.

the charge light and the on light below the keyboard works but the screen doesnt come on....... i can also hear the fan and other stuff running inside.

did i crash it or is there something simple i can do at home?.......... the booklet that came with it says it has a hidden reboot set-up but i cant get to it without the screen.

it has crashed a few times before but i dont really want to spend any more money on it............ im bout ready to take it outside and use my eastwing on it, lol.

thanks in advance for any help.

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer
Re: computer crash???

Sounds like the screen or video has went south. You can try hooking it up to a monitor. If you get video then most likely the screen or invertor has went bad. Ive had two laptops and out of those two the screen went bad on both of them. Dell and an HP.

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

well im not sure what is wrong.

i have a regular home comp and tried hooking the monitor to it but it wouldnt come on either.... when i unhooked the monitor the screen came on and said something about not reading something, so i am assuming the monitor is good.

but i just wanted to see so i hooked the monitor to my other lap top and it still wouldnt come on........... the one i hooked it to the second time is the one i am currently using, but it still didnt work the monitor...........i wonder why neither comp would work the home monitor?

i was not aware the screens could go bad............ so it is probably junk??

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

On my Dell Laptop, it is <FN> F8 to switch the display between the external monitor and laptop display.

cbavier

Lieutenant

Buy a Mac. I've had three PC's over a twelve year period and all three were junk. Dell, Quantex and Toshiba. I bought a Mac and so far not one problem.

scipper77

Commander

can you get to the bios?? I might try using a bootable cd just to see if the hard drive is the problem be it HD failure or just a virus or bad registry etc...

It sounds to me like the screen on the laptop does display an error when you disconnect the monitor. Is this correct?

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

If you get no video at all, chances are that you do have a video problem. Otherwise, you should see the startup items appear, before Windows boots. I'd give the external monitor idea a try too. That may not work eiter, however.

Frankly, given the abuse that laptops generally receive, I'm surprised that any of them last very long. Gateways aren't a bad brand, though - I have one that is over ten years old that I only recently had to retire, because the keyboard finally died. It has an external keyboard jack, but that won't work either.

Mac v. PC, Harley v. Honda, Heintz v. Del Monte ... as an old girlfriend of mine used to say, "whatever smokes your shorts!"

???

4JawChuck

Chief Petty Officer

Does it work off the battery? If it does it may be your pwr supply.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

If you get no video at all, chances are that you do have a video problem. Otherwise, you should see the startup items appear, before Windows boots. I'd give the external monitor idea a try too. That may not work eiter, however.

Frankly, given the abuse that laptops generally receive, I'm surprised that any of them last very long. Gateways aren't a bad brand, though - I have one that is over ten years old that I only recently had to retire, because the keyboard finally died. It has an external keyboard jack, but that won't work either.

Mac v. PC, Harley v. Honda, Heintz v. Del Monte ... as an old girlfriend of mine used to say, "whatever smokes your shorts!"

???

old girlfriend vs new wife !!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Sorry, but Mac uses the same hardware as other laptops. Just a fancier case and overinflated price tag.

His problem hasn't been diagnosed as a hardware problem.

And as for price, lots can be said for getting what you pay for.
Or you end up paying twice for that bargain.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

my dang comp crashed again, i think.

its a gateway laptop.

the charge light and the on light below the keyboard works but the screen doesnt come on....... i can also hear the fan and other stuff running inside.

did i crash it or is there something simple i can do at home?.......... the booklet that came with it says it has a hidden reboot set-up but i cant get to it without the screen.

it has crashed a few times before but i dont really want to spend any more money on it............ im bout ready to take it outside and use my eastwing on it, lol.

thanks in advance for any help.

david; given some of the responses, let me add this in a attempt to help.

until recently we have had all dell equipment at home. my last note book had trouble not to unlike the problems you have described.
the first time it had problems it wouldn't boot up- well it would start and then go to a blue screen. as i know very little about computers, i was worried this was the end for this unit. contacted dell and they walked me thru a diagnostic and found i had one memory bank go bad. they sent me a new one and when it got her walked me thru install. worked like new after that.
the next was a bad battery. same scenario as above but would go blank and die when trying to tun on. not mater if plugged in to ac or not. called in dell trouble shoot over phone- send new battery- every thing worked in a couple of days.

before coming here jil ran a office and used all gate way. she switched from ibm. she was very happy with gate way customer phone support.

bottom line, have you tried gate way? might be something simple they can walk you thru and fix?

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

But........... it's not a window's operating system.:rolleyes:

True. That's why it works better on basically the same HW. Apple does its homework very well, tightly controls the Hardware, OS, and most of the applications, and it shows up in the overall reliability of the system as a whole. Microsoft does not make computers. If the Windows OS were restricted to run on one tightly controlled HW platform, and the apps that ran on it had to be pre-blessed by MS, then things would be more reliable on the Windows side of the house. But it's not that way.
I do have a new Windows 7 laptop (Compaq) that will be lightly used by the wife. So far it's really nice, especially for $399!

dolluper

Captain

video card gone south.most on the board...so no luck...check your model here you may be lucky
ttp://support.gateway.com/support/supinfo/index.asp?pg=2&file=mo.htm

Last edited: